South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 11:16 PM   #1  

Default An introduction... starting on the wrong foot

Hey there, ladies (and gents). I'm new to the forums as a poster, though I have been skimming for a couple of weeks now. I decided to pop in (finally) because the support here seems so great and I don't want to become a bore to my friends--obsessing over each and every thing I eat and every backslide is not interesting unless there are others who know exactly what you are going through. My friends are supportive and I want to repay that by not calling them and saying "Oh, my God, guess what I just ate..." every time I feel I've backslid. Quid pro quo.

I started South Beach (for the second time) at around the same time. I just got tired of looking the way I do and feeling self-concious about it 70% of the time.

The first 12 days went by really well and then between last night and today I managed to derail. Up until yesterday I was so good--I was even out at bars and parties for quite a few evenings and managed to stick to Diet Coke, resisting the siren call of Malibu and pineapple. Then, last night (Friday), I was walking out of work, on my way to the gym, when a friend called to see if I wanted to hang out. It was Friday and so I shrugged off the twinge of guilt and met him. On the side of virtue, I still just drank Diet Coke (for which they charged me for refills, those fascists--I spent $10 onb Diet Coke. I was filled with much rage.), but I also managed to eat spinach and artichoke dip with decidedly not whole wheat pita bread. Grr.

Fast forward to today. I did my shopping for the week and got a few items that are Phase II friendly--whole wheat bread, some fruit, etc. What did I do? That's right--figuring that I had already ko'd Phase I with the pita I decided to have some of my whole wheat carb control bread. Some translating into three egg salad sandwiches--one for breakfast, another for lunch and, hey, for dinner, why the **** not? (Actually the dinner one was probably the best call--I had the phone book open ready to order myself a pizza and then fought that urge HARD. Still, why did I have to go for my 5th piece of bread? Honestly.) I did stay home from a party, though that was more rain-related than worry about the temptation of lukewarm keg beer.

I tried SB once before and found the same thing when I switched to Phase II. Once the relaxed discipline was on me, I found it much easier just let it all go. I'm better when sticking to the rigid controls of Phase I.

I guess at this point I wll tell myself to wipe the slate and do better--I'll extend Phase I for a couple of extra days to get things back on track and then try and extend my discipline from Phase I into II. I find that to be the most difficult--I've never been a "just a taste satisfies me" sort of person, which, I suppose, is how my *** (amongst other parts) reached this state in the first place.

Sorry for the very long and not terribly uplifting first post--I just needed a forum to vent and if this isn't that, then I don't know where I'll find it!

PS Before I fell off the wagon with a resounding thud, I managed to lose 12 pounds. No change in clothing size yet, but things are fitting a little looser and my Friday night friend told me I did seem to be looking a bit slimmer. It may be just him being supportive, but I'll go with it.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:33 AM   #2  
A Lily from my yard!

Well you have come to the right place to vent! Going to phase II cab be a challenge. There are alot of us who do a phase 1.5 type. It helps to not go overboard and stay in check on phase 1. Atleast for me. Like today my sister is coming and we are gonna grill out and she wants polish sausage with grilled peppers and onions and mushrooms yum yum but so off program and I had thought oh well she's from out of town it won't hurt but this morning I have decided to get me something to grill instead. (to go along with the peppers and stuff!) For me I just decided you know a few minutes of indulgence will take me back another week probably and to me it is just not worth it. Not to mention my DH who always says are you allowed to eat that?! Paleaze!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yea welcome to the beach!!!!!! Look forward to seeing ya around! Oh yea congrats on your loss so far! Yea I was in such a tight size when I started it took a few to really tell a difference!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:36 AM   #3  

Welcome to the Beach! It is hard sometimes when you first start phase 2. I have found it better for me to seldom eat bread or whole wheat rolls because I like them too much. I tend to eat whole wheat tortillas or pitas when I want something like that. They don't trigger me to overeat like bread can. When you slip up, just move on and don't let it be an excuse to eat improperly. Make sure you eat LOTS of veggies. I find it harder to fill up on other stuff if I make sure I have lots of veggies with my meals. Just keep going and eventually this will be second nature to you.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:36 AM   #4  
Almost 20 lbs gone 4ever!

Hi! Yes, you are not alone!! I just switched to phase 2 last week and I had a piece of fruit each day. I haven't even bought low carb bread yet. Though I made some low carb SF muffins over the weekend and had three of them!! But, I would say if the carb control bread is your weakness, maybe don't keep it in the house? I just discovered egg salad and I like to have it rolled up in lettuce. I think we all have trigger foods, and they are probably best completely avoided.

Good luck and feel free to vent anytime!!!

Lauren
Old 10-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #5  

Welcome Celebrity Skin! As the others said, this IS the place to vent. Don't feel bad about slipping up, just take it one day at a time. The important thing is you're back on track now. The thing I've found really great about SBD, is even if I mess up at one meal, I don't feel that "throw in the towel for the rest of the day" attitude that I often felt on WW. Maybe I've just finally accepted that what I eat isn't an all or nothing deal. I agree with Lauren... there are definitely red-light foods for all of us. You know those foods that call to you from the kitchen... Eat me!! Eat me!! When I started phase two, I only added one piece of fruit a day at first. In fact, I only bought low carb wheat bread (6 grams of carbs) last week. Slowly ease yourself into it and you'll be fine.

Bamie -- good for you for getting something OP for the grill! It's so funny what you said about your hubby because my boyfriend used to say that to me too... hahaha!! I kept telling him, "Read the book!!" He never did read it, but I am happy to report that he is "OP" (for the most part) now too. Certainly makes my life a whole lot easier. :P
Closed Thread