New member intro

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hello, Everyone!

My name is Aileen and I live in beautiful North Carolina. I actually joined this site a while ago but have been flip flopping around, trying to find a program that suits me, all the while lying to myself about when I'm going to get started on a program.

Well, I was at work today and our computer tech came in. He looks awesome! He has lost 30 pounds on the SBD that his doctor put him on to lower his cholesterol. What he told me about the SBD has sold me! I'm going to try to get my hands on a copy of the book as soon as possible and am planning to read it cover to cover. I'm hoping to officially get started in the next few weeks. Until then, I plan to scour the message boards and read everything I can to make sure that I have a full understanding of the program. This is mostly because I have the attention span of a grapefruit. I have the tendency to grab the ball and run with it, then when I look back, everyone else is still in the huddle.

I am going to be 39 years old next month. I want to embrace this, but am struggling with it. I have three of the most awesome kids in the world, and I'm tired of feeling embarrassed when I meet their classmates. I weigh roughly 247 pounds. How on earth did I do this to myself? I would like to weigh 145 pounds.

My daughter, Olivia, is 10 and in 5th grade. My son, Adam, is a junior in high school and a tuba player in the marching band. My son, John, is 18 and is currently in boot camp for the Marines. He graduates on October 22 and I would love to be down a few pounds before I go to see him on his big day.

I look forward to getting to know you; cheering you on when you are having a great day, or cheering you up when your day isn't so great.

Hugs
    Aileen
  • Welcome, Aileen! I'm glad you've joined us! We love supporting supportive people.
    Quote: I have the tendency to grab the ball and run with it, then when I look back, everyone else is still in the huddle.
    Great analogy.
  • Welcome! You'll find lots of support and information here.
  • Yeah, Aileen! Welcome to the beach!
  • Welcome!!! I noticed you're from NC. What part? I used to live in Fayetteville. My husband was stationed at Ft. Bragg. I know you'll find this diet to be as easy as I do. I love it!!! It's the end of phase 1 and I'm down almost 10 lbs.
  • Quote:
    read everything I can to make sure that I have a full understanding of the program.
    Welcome to The Beach! Yes, having a full understanding of the programme is key! This is a great place to give and get support and share ideas.
  • Welcome, welcome, welcome! Read the FAQ! And post your heart out!
  • Aileen, welcome! Sounds like you have a marvelous family! And I know you'll love SBD...this is the first "diet" that I have done in about 10 years, and the longest I have ever stayed on a diet in my life. It's really a doable plan that you can do for life.

BTW, on being embaressed in front of you kids' friends--my mom is extremely overweight and she has been for all of my life. She was always my friends' favorite mom because of her personality. They all call her "Mom" and love her food, her desire to listen to them about their lives, and her caring nature. So please don't feel that you have any reason to be embaressed in front of them, okay?
  • Welcome to the beach, Aileen.

Like your co-worker, mr dr. gave me a hard time about a 30 pound weight increase when I went for a medical last spring. He didn't suggest SBD, but suggested that I cut carbs and sugar out of my diet - he suggested that I try that for a month to "see what happens." When I went home, I was talking to DH and he mentioned that everyone where he works seems to be on SBD. That started my research into the diet - I was really concerned about it because, mentally, I equated SBD to the Atkins diet and having purchased the first version of Atkins in the '70s, I was not convinced.

However, after purchasing both books and reading them cover to cover, I was convinced that this is the way to go. I am pleased to say that Atkins has revised the initial plan for eating, but still does not emphasize the type of fats or carbs that a person should be consuming. I felt that SBD did a better job of that, so it would be easier to follow without worrying about what kind and the amount of fat that I was eating. Consequently, I started SBD and am thrilled at the progress that I am making.

I have to go back to the dr. on Sept. 20 for a follow-up medical and have just about lost the entire 30 pounds since May. It is an easy program to follow and I know you can do it.

Take care.
  • Welcome, Aileen! Definitely read the FAQ section, and my best advice is to read the book, then take a couple of weeks to cleanse your house of the not so good for you food, and then work your way into doing SBD full time. It really helped me to ease into it slowly, and then keep it up strong, instead of going in without really having an idea of what is good or not. For example, I used to eat Boca burgers, and think that they were on plan, but alas, they are not. So I finished them all in one week, and the next week, I was on to turkey burgers! Anyway, congrats on making this decision, you're gonna love it on the beach!
  • Welcome Aileen! I am on my third day of the SBD and I am adjusting. It's a big change but one that I know is perfect for me and DH!

Good luck!!

lauren
  • Welcome to the beach! My name is Vickie I started not to long ago and have had a huge sucess with this diet! I hope you find that you will too! I also live in NC around the Gaston area. My boyfriend is in the Air Force but my twin sisters bf just graduated from bootcamp at Parris Island he is in the Marines...I know how excited you must be to see your son graduate it is a great ceremony and they all look very very handsome in their uniforms!!! Once you start just stick with it especially the first two weeks, after that it's really easy!
  • Welcome to the beach Aileen! I started out at 247 and plan to be down to 145 one day....I've lost 41 lbs since May. I know that if I can do it...so can you!
  • Hello Everyone. My name is Annie. I started SB on August 22, on my week two WI, I am down 9.5 lbs. I love South Beach. Actually I thought the first few days were really tough on SB, and not the first two weeks. I find I am full all the time, don't crave any carbs or anything for that matter. As I was a big popcorn, chips, salty person.

SW 262
    CW 252.5
    GW 175
    PGW 165
    Halloween: 235
    New Year: 215
    Onderland: 2/15
  • WTG, Annie...and welcome. You are doing so awesome. Keep up the great work.