Food Questions

• Hi ladies,
    Well, classes started last thursday for me and its been crazy. 4 courses and a good 30 hour work week on top of them. If only I could win the lotto.
    Here is the good thing about classes getting going. Breakfast is served starting at 7:00am and its $3.50. Its a buffett but they have healthy choices too.
    My questions are about scrambled eggs. The eggs they serve are real eggs scrambled with milk, I believe. Does mean they are off plan for phase I? The book says eggs are alright, scrambled as well, I just want to make sure before I try Phase I during school. Hopefully, this will make breakfast easier because I can't cook much in the mornings and I'm too tempted to utilize a drive through of the MacDonalds variety...
  • Milk is now allowed on Phase I. When you get to Phase II, you can add whole wheat toast.
  • You might want to ask if any butter is used to make the eggs. We used to cook our scrambled eggs in butter before I started SBD. You can probably tell a lot from the taste. Even if the milk is not reduced fat, there is probably not enough milk to make a difference.
  • Ah, good point, Barb. I can ask tuesday. Why is milk allowed on phase I now? Was it because of calcium issues or just more research? Just curious.
  • There was research that showed that people who drank milk lost weight. I think it's great because of calcium too.
  • Whoops! Forgot about butter!
    It really is a PITA for this plan to keep changing but it's nice that Dr A is still tweaking it as we learn more about nutrition. I wonder if he'll do a revised book.
  • I read somewhere that calcium aided weight loss but can't remember for sure. I think it was the interview with Dr A that is in the FAQ in this board.
  • I think the edition of the book that I have (just got it a few weeks ago) does show that you can have skim milk.

Thanks goodness!!

Lauren
  • Goldie, what is the publishing date of the book and does it have a new title?
  • I will look when I get home tonight and let you know.
  • Is the calcium weight loss study the same one that showed it reduced your belly fat? Or is that just yogurt?
  • I found out the eggs are cooked with a mixture of Margarine and Vegetable oil. No butter. Maragine is bad, though, right? But, if its just to coat the pan, is this okay?
  • Ah, I knew I had read BOTH answers about milk, starting an new WOE is so confusing!!

I just bought my books on Thursday and here's what I got:
    SBD main book (copyright 2003) - no milk on phase 1
    SBD cookbook (copyright 2004) - no food list (grrr) but verbiage says 1-2 glasses of FF or 1% milk ok on phase 1
    SBD GFGC guide (copyright 2004) - has FF/1% milk in Phase 1 "foods to enjoy" list.

Each book had some info that wasn't in any of the others, part of the reason I ended up with all three (grrrr).

I'm with Dr. Agatston regarding trans-fatty foods but I think he is wrong about butter. I'd rather have a natural product than a chemical concoction any day. A few years ago, butter was evil and margarine was good and then they learned about trans-fatty acids and had to change their tune.

Whichever the oil is, used in moderation it should be fine for the phase 1 eggs at the cafeteria.
  • The reason butter is a no no is because it is saturated fat, if you HAD to have something like butter, he is saying a butter substitute (not margarine) like I can't believe it is not butter or smart balance would be the best choice. Otherwise, use something healthy for you like olive oil. I use a lot of olive oil myself and even though I have bought butter substitutes, I don't really use them.