South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 08:40 AM   #1  

Default Packing lunches

Hi,
With the school year starting and so many of us packing lunches for work or school, does anyone have any wonderful, inventive ideas for packable SB foods?

So far I've made

chicken salad lettuce wraps
tuna salad lettuce wraps
viet-thai salad
Old 09-03-2004, 08:51 AM   #2  

Well, this is not really creative, but I find my lunch staple to be a big bag or container of prewashed lettuce greens. I take one to work each Monday and then from there I can make all sorts of salads, usually made from leftovers from the night before. Heck, I carry a full heavy grocery bag full of food to work each Monday.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:18 AM   #3  

Most of the time I bring leftovers for lunch but I have my red pepper/hummus and cauliflower/horseradish that I bring for snacks. I love soups for lunch - they are so filling and you could put those in a Thermos if you don't have a microwave to warm them up. I also bring turkey or ham and cheese rollups sometimes if I'm out of red peppers or cauliflower (or just haven't cut it up like today).
Old 09-03-2004, 10:05 AM   #4  
yaya9577

I'm kinda of in the same position... I need fast meals for lunch and dont have time for salads...but one day I made a tuna salad stuffed inside a large tomato. It was pretty fast to make the night before and very yummy and fresh.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:45 AM   #5  
Conquering with SBD

I'm the same...not very inventive lunches, but after I work out, I really have to eat lunch at my desk. The boss doesn't say anything because I think he knows that I detest exercise and the sheer fact that I go is an accomplishment. I usually have a salad and some kind of dessert...sf jello, piece of cheesecake, sf/ff pudding, etc. I tend to make a bunch of desserts on the weekends, so that I have some variety with dessert and lunches are quick and easy to put together when I am rushing out the door. I also have SBD snacks ready when the urge takes hold.

I also make the tomato/cucumber/onion salad (in the recipe thread) on a weekend and switch from lettuce salad to that every so often for at least a bit of variety...

By the way, has anyone tried the salad containers that Avon is presently selling? I bought a bunch last spring, thinking that they would be good for my salad lunches. Well, they are. They have a container in the top to put your salad dressing, and you just turn the container when you are ready to eat and it dispenses the dressing. Shake it up a bit, and voila, your salad is ready. I find that easier than carting a separate container for my dressing.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:30 AM   #6  

A salad doesn't take long to make at all if you use the pre-wash pre-packaged lettuce. I can whip one up in less than 5 minutes (that's about how long it takes me to eat it too!). Toss the salad in a bowl, add a few cherry tomatos, a bit of shredded cheese, and top with a few nuts, or tuna from a pouch, add a dab of dressing and it's done.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:44 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I use sandwich baggies like there is no tomorrow, I also make use of tupperware as well.

1) Leftovers - I always cook extra and plan to eat them for lunches/next day
2) Veggies - grape tomatoes, celery, bell peppers (red, orange, yellow)
3) Grilled meat - I grill meat ahead of time to use in lunches, chicken and lean steak
4) Grilled veggies - grilled yams (taste good cold), zucchini, yellow squash
5) Salad - I eat a spinach salad every day, add grilled meat and veggies, I make my own dressing using flavored olive oil, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
6) String cheese
Old 09-03-2004, 04:57 PM   #8  

I am very bad at this. I am only at work two days a week atm and just take little breaks and it isn't appropriate to eat a big elaborate meal so I take 2 l/f yogurts, 2 slices of l/f cheese, a small bag of nuts and a bottle of water. When I get home at about 3.30pm I have a huge bowl of home made vegie soup. On the days I work from home I make a salad or stir fry or have something like vege chilli.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:11 AM   #9  
RNMOM

Default lunches

I always take lettuce, cukes, green peppers, string cheese, tomatoes, V8, and I have cans of shrimp, tuna or crab in my locker at work.

I'm at work during the time that most people eat three meals a day. From six AM to 6:30 PM. My goal is to not eat after 7 so I really have to be creative sometimes. I haven't been as strict at this as I like so my goal this week is to stick with it. cottage cheese and a veggie is easy to come home and fix for me.

I'm best if I bring my lunch and never have to go down the hall to the cafeteria. Contrary to popular belief our hospital has outstanding food.
Huge temptation for me.

I'm phase oneing for a while but when I move to phase 2 it's easier to come up with food for work.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:20 PM   #10  

Thanks for all the good ideas. My dd wants to start SB but I'm encouraging her to start into Ph2 rather than Ph1. I think salads and surplus items from dinner should be good things to pack. The wraps are a good idea too.

Great stuff!
Closed Thread