South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 10:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/290/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Carb Options on Phase 1

I am so confused. There are so many items on the market that seem to be low or no carb, but not sure if I could eat it. Like I found a a candy bar with 1 gm carb. Is that allowed? I know when book was written there was not all these things to buy that are low or no carb but no in book. I know I should be going by list in book, but there is so much out there that was not there before. HELP!

Any feedback is much needed...thanks
Old 08-28-2004, 10:27 PM   #2  

There have been some updates to the book. Check out the FAQ section of the site. Many of the products that are on the market right now are not South Beach appropriate. Allow SBD limits carbs in Phase 1, it really is not a low-carb diet. It is a way of eating that, after Phase 1, reincorporates healthy carbs. I think of it as very healthy, "clean" eating.

Beware, as you may "hear" some people scream FRANKENFOOD when you speak of many products that are currently on the market. (We won't mention any names, RUTH!)
Old 08-28-2004, 10:28 PM   #3  

I think my problem is that I ony bought the SB Guide and not the book. Maybe I should get it. A few friends said that the book was not really needed. What do you all think?
Old 08-28-2004, 10:31 PM   #4  

I think I would do both. I only have the book, which is quite informative. The guide, however, I think may be helpful as a quick reference. What do you all think?
Old 08-28-2004, 11:28 PM   #5  
Believe it & Achieve it

I have just the book and I keep learning new information that seems to be from either the guide or some update. If I could find the guide I would def. do both because I've screwed up several times which could have been easily avoided.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:42 PM   #6  

A lot of heavily processed foods contain sugar alcohols which are not allowed. SB Diet encourages eating a range of whole natural foods like lean meat and chicken, fish and shellfish, eggs, low fat dairy, vegies, whole grain breads, nuts, legumes and fruit. The foods high in carbs are very limited in phase one and reintroduced in phase two at a rate whereby you still lose weight. It is a lifestyle change. I use very little processed food now and rely on herbs and spices to season food.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:05 AM   #7  

Some of the heavily processed foods (especially ones made for Atkins) contain saturated and trans fats that we should not be eating. Dr. A has addressed the candy bars in some of his talks and he does not approve of them.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:10 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I just have to do this!
FRANKENFOODS!
Eat REAL food, not highly processed ones, and you'll be just fine.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:16 AM   #9  

Default Roflol

Old 08-29-2004, 08:18 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well....you know me!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:53 AM   #11  

if you read the ingriediants and they start of with a syrup or chemical, RUN!
I ate a low carb health bar as a snack and then read the label. It was all chemicals then said wheat in one of the very last things listed. I would pack low fat cheese sticks and nuts to snack on. And eat as natural as possible. It always tastes so much better.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:18 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I think the general rule is that if something is specially made to be low carb/no carb, then it is a no. If something is naturally low carb/no carb and low in saturated fat, then it is a yes.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:14 PM   #13  

Nelie great way to remember THANKS!!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:21 PM   #14  

Ughh, just ate too many of those Frankenfoods... sf chocolate covered almonds and a regular choc chip cookie i baked for my housemates. It's been a bad weekend.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:38 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

VT, I'm sorry!

That's just why you want to avoid the evil Frankenfoods! They can make you so sick.

Nelie, that is a great way to remember it!!! Thanks, girl! :

Jane, I would definitely buy the book and read the beginning, carefully. It will really help you understand what is going on. The lists in our FAQ will help you with updated info as to Foods to Enjoy and Avoid, but I can promise you that you won't find Dr. A ever advocating bars or low carb candy. There's just too much yuck in it. You know?

Go with the good stuff, girl! When you get out of Phase 1, you can have real dark or semi-sweet chocolate!
Closed Thread