South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 12:33 PM   #1  

Default Question about "Sweet Treats"

OK, so 75 calories per day of sweet treats. Exactly how do you know if what you're eating is a sweet treat though?

Example: Per the book, a ricotta cream w/ ricotta chesse, splenda, almond slivers and a bit of almond extract is considered a sweet treat, right? Why? It's pretty much all good for ya. Along the same line of thinking then, would cottage cheese w/ splenda and berries be considered a sweet treat? I consider that a snack. Does adding splenda to something automatically make it a sweet treat?
Old 08-31-2004, 02:16 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Quote:
Example: Per the book, a ricotta cream w/ ricotta cheese, splenda, almond slivers and a bit of almond extract is considered a sweet treat, right?
Nope, not right, IMHO!

It is my understanding that Sweet Treats are the things listed under that title in the Phase I food List. That means things like sf popsicles, sf candies, jello, etc. The Ricotta creme is fine as a dessert or a snack. See page 29 of the SBD book. Adding Splenda does not make it a sweet treat.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Do remember that Ricotta is one of the higher calorie dairy items. Most chicks find they need to limit it to ½ a cup per day.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:31 PM   #3  

Thanks Ruth. I find it hard to consider jello a sweet treat, but since it doesn't have but about 5 calories or whatever I guess it doesn't really matter, right?

I should keep my book here at work with me since this is when I always think of questions to ask!
Old 08-31-2004, 02:39 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Wendy, I might be nuts on this, but I consider anything that does not have nutritional value, but is sweetened, to be a sweet treat.

Therefore--pudding mix, but not the milk in it, is a sweet treat. Jell-o, any SF candy, hard or chocolate, popsicles, etc. are all sweet treats.

Does that make any sense?

Remember, we aren't talking about whether it's high in calories or not...we're just talking about sweet things with no nutritional value.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:07 PM   #5  

OK, that makes sense and is how I'll think about it from now on.
Closed Thread