3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Buying the book (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/45827-buying-book.html)

kellyntx 08-29-2004 12:54 AM

Buying the book

Do I really need to buy the book or are there resources that will basically tell me how to go about doing the SB diet? I am limited on funds due to a divorce but would really like to get started on this diet. All help would be great. Thanks so much.

Kelly

chick_on_the_beach 08-29-2004 01:55 AM

Hi Kelly, I haven't bought the book. I borrowed it and read it then used a few internet sites to help me out. Personally it is the support that has been useful for me not the actual content of the book. A lot of people find the book good for recipes.

Barb0522 08-29-2004 08:09 AM

I haven't bought the book either but I do have the Good Carbs Good Fats book as a reference. Make sure you read through the stickies in the Frequently Asked Question section. We have lots of good recipes here including some from the book and cookbook.

kellyntx 08-29-2004 09:50 AM

Thanks you two. I will do some research before I decide to buy the book. I am gonna start the diet tomorrow so I am gonna do my meal planning and go to the grocery store today to get the things I need. I feel if I sit down and actually write out my meal plans it will be better and easier for me to stick to it. I have never really done a diet so we will see how this goes.

sweet tooth 08-29-2004 03:21 PM

Borrow the book from the library and make sure that you read the front portion which describes the 'philosophy' (for lack of a better word) of the program. Become familiar with that before returning the book. If you have the funds, buy the guide instead and use the internet. The guide is a very good reference (I bought for 7.00 in Canada). You can get both recipes and support from web sites, and you will be fine.

kellyntx 08-30-2004 07:29 AM

Okay I will definately do that. Thanks for the advice.

Kelly

beachgal 08-30-2004 08:21 AM

Barb, I'm surprised! You are very knowledgeable!

Personally, I feel that to be successful at any eating plan, you HAVE to read the book, and especially so with SBD. There are a lot of basic tenets you need to absorb to try to make good choices, and understanding the why behind many of the rules can really help you work the program. The problem, IMHO, with just using the GFGCG, is that it does not indicate what is "limited" for Phase 2 and good on Phase 3. That can be a tough one to figure out without the book. There is a brief description of the book in the beginning of the GFGCG, but I think reading the book is much more beneficial.

That said, you don't need to buy the book to read it. ;) Borrow it from a friend or from the library. However, it does have recipes that might be worth having on hand often, so you might want to purchase your own copy if you like them.

a broad abroad 08-31-2004 12:34 PM

Don't forget to check second-hand stores too. I got the SBD and GFGCG both for $10 from the thrift store.

Ruthxxx 08-31-2004 01:28 PM

Do a Google on any book title and you may find lots available second hand.

beachgal 08-31-2004 02:07 PM

Oh yeah! Good call, Ruth. You can get lots of inexpensive books (often untouched) at www.half.com