What are some "Must Have's" that you have in your pantry or fridge?

• I want to complete my shopping today in order to start South Beach on Monday.

What are your "must have's"?

TIA

Rose
  • Black beans
    Refried black beans
    reduced fat cheese
    hummus
    lots of fresh vegetables - red pepper and cauliflower for snacking. Fresh broccoli, zucchini, cabbage, eggplant for cooking, onion and garlic
    canned no sugar added tomatoes (diced, sauce, crushed, paste)
    Splenda
    natural peanut butter
    chicken broth
    salsa
    avocado
    eggs
    yogurt

These are actually the staples that I almost always have in my fridge.
  • Wow Rose, you've already have lost a lot of wieght, Good job. The one thing I might add is chicken, chicken and more chicken..By the way you look like you could be part of the Judds' family.... This is my 6th day on SBD and I'm still on track, I'm about to set a record here.

Chris
  • I agree with Barb, beans are great. Read the ingredients label, some store brands, Food Lion, add sugar to their beans. Yuck I was wondering why they tasted so sweet. Check the ingredients on the refried black beans and make sure they are fat free. They sneak the fat in.

If I remember correctly, the biggy items on phase 1:
    beans, both dried and canned.
    eggs
    skim milk
    plain or vanilla nonfat or lowfat yogurt no sugar added, you can't find sugar free yogurt
    cottage cheese
    ricotta cheese-if you don't eat a lot of ricotta get the smallest container you can find and try out the recipes-some brands are smoother then others. Somepeople can't quite get past the texture for the ricotta cream desserts.
    2 or 3 types of lettuce for variety or a couple bags of salad mix
    lots of veggies

It's easy to go overboard the first trip to the store and come home with enough vegetables to feed a small army. It took me several weeks to get the right amounts.

Be careful to buy the foods you enjoy eating, only try the new, strange items one or a few at a time. I bought everything I could find in the store from the foods to enjoy list and wound up with many things I didn't know how to cook and didn't like at all.

Good luck, have fun shopping. Don't forget to read all your labels, they hide sugar and hydrogenated oils in some of the strangest items.
  • If you do the ricotta creme desserts in the food processor, they come out smooooth decadent and delicious - I didn't much care for them just hand mixed. The difference is awesome!
  • Hmm....

refried black beans
    salsa
    lf cheese
    laughing cow cheese
    vegetables
    eggbeaters
    natural peanutbutter
    sf fudgesicles
    ff cool whip
    string cheese
    peanuts
    salad
    lf cottage cheese
    ff sour cream
    cracked red pepper hummus
    crystal lite
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray
    Extra light/extra virgin olive oil
    frozen broccoli/cauliflower mix
    anything needed to make my favorite recipes from this site

That's just my Ph1 list! Hope it helps
  • Eggs
    Reduced fat cheese
    Yogurt
    Peanuts
    Kidney beans
    Canned tomatoes
  • Question. I noticed Weezle mentioned FF Cool Whip. I checked their ingredients and there are hydrogenated oils in it -- isn't that bad?

Kristin
  • Thank you!!!! **off to print my list**
  • Quote: Wow Rose, you've already have lost a lot of wieght, Good job. The one thing I might add is chicken, chicken and more chicken..By the way you look like you could be part of the Judds' family.... This is my 6th day on SBD and I'm still on track, I'm about to set a record here.

Chris
    Thanks....Atkins has worked well for me, but I get pretty bored with it, it's taken me a very long time for me to lose these 58 lbs...I'm embarrassed about that part of it.

I'm sooo looking forward to South Beach!!