3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Weight Loss Plateaus-how long was your longest? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/45346-weight-loss-plateaus-how-long-your-longest.html)

sarahyu 08-19-2004 04:15 PM

Weight Loss Plateaus-how long was your longest?

I'm slightly discouraged. I've done great so far with my weight loss, I'm down 40 pounds. For me that's great because I've never been able to lose weight before. I think it's something emotional.. ( I won't even go into the diet envy I'm feeling with all my friends and family I've converted to SBD and they are losing so much more weight then me :cry: )

I've stalled for several weeks. I kept thinking that it's just a general plateau and eventually I would start losing again. It's going on 6 weeks since I've lost anything, I tend to fluxuate between 158-162.

I've gently started increasing my physical activity. I'm going to start training for a {cough,} {wispering} marathon. Don't laugh. I really want to try to complete one, maybe not today or tomorrow or this year, but in a couple years. I've had a lot of problems with my knees, feet and ankles in the last few years so I had to slowly work myself up to running. I have started walking for at least 30 minutes a day and take a lot of stairs at work. I've also started throwing in a few jogging sessions while walking.

I've read several books "No Need for Speed : A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running" by John Bingham "John Bingham, "the patron saint of the back of the pack," commands "The Penguin Brigade" -- those thousands of dedicated runners who have learned that the greatest joy in their sport comes not from how fast they go or how thin they become, but from simply having the courage to take the first step."

Oh, wait what was I talking about??? Oh, yes, my plateau-I know that my body is getting used to the new me. I feel great, I've not gained any weight. Which for me is a big improvement. Usually I stop losing and get depressed and go binge on something. I think I've over come some of my emotional eating problems.

I've read somewhere that the longer you were at a weight as you were gaining, the longer you will stall at that weight when you lose. Something about your body remembers the weight and thinks it should be that weight. I'm definately at the weight I was for the longest as I was getting fat.

What was your longest stall? And what did you do about it? oOw did you deal with the discouragement?

:)

nelie 08-19-2004 04:19 PM

I've had many plateaus in my weight loss career and it certainly feels like a career. My longest one was 9 months but at the time I really didn't know about trying to confuse my body. I would definitely maybe tweak some things you are eating, tweak your exercise plan a little. Your body just needs some cue that you aren't at a stable state that it can stay at. My most recent plateau was about 5 weeks and that is actually when I started SBD to kick my body into losing weight again.

Barb0522 08-19-2004 04:23 PM

The largest plateau I have had was about 3 weeks long. I added extra vegetables and cut back just a bit on the starches. Before that I had tried adding extra exercise but that didn't seem to help. The veggies appear to be what did it. And the complaining that I did on the daily :)

Ruthxxx 08-19-2004 04:35 PM

Well, I was at 216 for seven months, at 212 for four and at 206 for 9 weeks. That's the way it goes. Your body goes into re-org mode!

weezle 08-19-2004 04:47 PM

Heck, I'm all hacked off that I've been 140 for the last 9 days. Exercise doesn't seem to help it any.....tons of water doesn't help.....all I eat are vegetables and beans (besides my morning bagel and a little cheese.) I guess I shouldn't feel so bad since some people have stalled for months. I'm just really upset because people are talking about on Ph2 losing 2-3 lbs a week. I've lost 3 lbs since Aug 1st. That's 18 days. Ugh. I feel your frustration.

beachgal 08-19-2004 05:23 PM

Unfortunately, it appears that the darn plateaus are part of the weight loss process, but I agree with confusing your body...do different exercise...try interval training...eat more!...or eat less...or eat differently. And be patient (something I am awful at...Weezle I feel your pain...9 days would seem like an eternity!).

Sarah, I think you are to be majorly commended for beginning training for a marathon (who would laugh? Tell me their names and I'll smoosh them! :mad: ) and for not bingeing in spite of major provocation!!! :cp: :cheer: :cp: Good for you!!! I know you can do this, and I'm glad that you sound so balanced and well thought out about your health. Remember, losing weight is not our main goal. It's a side benefit of getting your body healthy! :D

Sarah, can you add some weight training into your routine, even if it's just lifting a couple 2 liter bottles of soda or cans? Muscle can help burn that fat!

As to the plateau at a weight you were at, not sure. I just surpassed the weight I was at for three years, and am now plateauing 10 pounds below it. :shrug: Who knows! :lol:

1busymomma 08-19-2004 06:54 PM

Weezle, are you sure it's not that morning bagel holding you up? Just a thought.

weezle 08-19-2004 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1busymomma
Weezle, are you sure it's not that morning bagel holding you up? Just a thought.

Well? I don't know. It's the only starchy thing I eat a day, and it's whole wheat, and "Carb Conscious" and all the ingreediants look SBD friendly. I figured if I eat my starchy thing in the morning, it would be better than eating it right before bed.

So basically, if I am strictly Ph1 (minus my bagel,) I'm 140. But if I go haywire and have FRANKENFOOD and a bowl of pasta, and 2 glasses of wine, and just go nuts, I'm 140. I am DOOMED. :?:

nelie 08-19-2004 11:57 PM

Weezle, why not try switching out the bagel with something else to see? I eat oatmeal every morning and it is a pretty good start to the day.

ellis 08-20-2004 09:31 AM

Oh, Sarah! I admire you so much for training for a marathon! I ran every day (only a mile or two) for ten years, and I LOVED it! Apart from the pain :lol3: , I felt absolutely euphoric when I ran!
Have you thought of going back to Phase I for a week? Just to give yourself a bit of a jumpstart?

pie 08-20-2004 09:53 AM

I'm feeling a little discouraged myself.....My fiance and I started SB together 4 weeks ago. We stayed on Phase I for 3 weeks. He's lost 15 lbs, I've lost 7 - and I didn't lose any this week. :( We follow the diet to the tee. The only new carb that I introduced was a SB friendly cereal in the am, and only 1 piece of fruit the whole week. (Fruit really affects my glycemic level - I've always had to eat fruit with cheese or PB, otherwise I'm feeling ill) So I naturally avoid it. My clothes fit better, but I need to see some loss on the scales!!!! Any thoughts???

I"m 42 - and started at 175.
Goal weight 140
Current weight - 168

Barb0522 08-20-2004 09:59 AM

Welcome to the Beach! Why don't you post for us what you ate yesterday (and give us an idea of portions) and we'll see if we can notice any problems? Also, how active are you? You really don't have that much to lose so it is possible that it will just take longer.

beachgal 08-20-2004 10:06 AM

Weezle, I find that eating a starch in the morning gives me more cravings. But maybe switching it to something else for a bit will get you going again? Wish I knew, girl...if I did we could both be on our way again! ;)

I figured out this morning that I've been plateauing for 13 days! :yikes: Had no idea it was that long. <sigh> Guess it's back to my old plan (1 fruit/1 starch a day) to get it going again...sure it will be just as fast. Oy!

sarahyu 09-27-2004 09:27 AM

:dancer: :sunny: :balloons: *****drum roll please***** :hyper: :flow1: :dance:

I have finally lost some weight. Stepped on the scale Saturday morning and I'm down 3 pounds finally! Actually I was afraid that it was dehydration and went and drank a quart of water just to make sure and the next morning I'm still down 3 pounds. Yeah!!!

Plateaus are not forever!!!!

Basically, I gently increased my activity level, made sure to get the vegetables (yuck, I don't really like vegetables, I could really do with out them even after being on the beach for 9 months) and water, and went back to a high protein breakfast-eggs or beans. (I found that it makes the ADHD better also)

So take heart, your plateau will go away and your body will decide it's ok to lose more weight eventually!

Bamiegurl 09-27-2004 09:38 AM

Congrats on getting over your plat.! Way to go! I used to hate all veggies myself but the older I get the more I like! I love onions and mushrooms sauteed in olive oil (I used to use butter but if I would have known about and how good olive oil was? ugh!) and is like a staple to me on SBD. Maybe your taste will change and you can find one or two you like and start tryin to add them in.