One week down and only 4lbs lost

• Ugh! I've been on this diet now for a week. I've practically starved myself to death and have only lost 4lbs. I've been very depressed due to a break up and havn't been able to eat. I've stuck with this eating only things i could have mostly eggs and hamburger patties. I don't understand what is going on. I've done adkins in the past and would have lost like 7 lbs. by now. What can i do? I'm even taking Carb Smart vitamins. Help! I started at 279 and i'm at 275.
  • I only lost 4 lbs in the Phase 1, as well as several other people on the boards. Stick with this, it works, and focus on changing habits in Phase 1. Slow and steady is what is going to give you the final results that you are working for.

Good luck!
  • Hey.

Firstly, don't starve. You're NEVER supposed to be hungry on South Beach! You're supposed to force yourself to eat snacks even if you're NOT hungry. If you starve yourself, your body's gonna freak out and start storing fat for the famine, and then you'll NEVER lose any weight.

Just follow South Beach as closely as you can. Remember that it's different from Adkins (far healthier) and that everyone's body reacts differently. Four pounds in the first week is a good start, I think! You're not gonna lose 50 pounds overnight, ya know.

Sorry to hear about the breakup. This is a good time to take something negative that's been handed to you and turn it into a positive. The breakup is the fuel for your fire! God hands us lemons sometimes, so ya gotta make lemonade (with splenda, of course.) Not exactly Scriptural, but close enough for who it's for. Focus on that breakup and use it to make you stick to the diet!

My focus is looking at old pictures of myself when I was skinny, and then looking at what I was when I started. (I have pictures of a very unhappy Lisa in her bikini in May, if anyone is interested. "Before" pictures.) I don't like being overweight Lisa. I want to be "Proud to Wear a Bikini" Lisa, or "Holy Crap, Look at How Good I Look in My Wedding Dress" Lisa.

Everyone's got a reason they want to lose the weight. Don't make the breakup THE reason, but use it to help you along. You're doing great!!!! On which other diet can you lose 4 pounds in a week, and do it healthily? (Answer: NONE!)

Good luck!!!! And don't forget to eat!!!!
  • Ditto

Quote: Hey.

Firstly, don't starve. You're NEVER supposed to be hungry on South Beach! You're supposed to force yourself to eat snacks even if you're NOT hungry. If you starve yourself, your body's gonna freak out and start storing fat for the famine, and then you'll NEVER lose any weight.

Just follow South Beach as closely as you can. Remember that it's different from Adkins (far healthier) and that everyone's body reacts differently. Four pounds in the first week is a good start, I think! You're not gonna lose 50 pounds overnight, ya know.

Good luck!!!! And don't forget to eat!!!!
  • I find that if I dont' eat the vegies and drink the water I dont' lose the weight.
  • You need to eat the whole plan, not just hamburger and eggs before you can say if the plan is working for you or not. Sorry about your breakup, but starving won't help it. There are so many who would be thrilled to ONLY lose 4 pounds in one week.
  • This plan is about eating - you just eat healthy. Sometimes I think I spend most of my life eating but the food is great and I am losing. I only lost 4 pounds in all of Phase 1 but I'm still averaging 2 pounds a week in Phase 2. You really need to eat enough so your body doesn't think it is starving.
  • Thanks A Million Guys! All Your Replys Brought Tears To My Eyes. I'm Glad I Am Not Alone. Do You Find You Lose More Inches On This Diet Or Lbs.? Even Tho I Only Lost 4lbs. I Could Fit Into Some Jeans I Couldn't Fit Last Week. Thanks Again!
  • I lost a lot of inches since restarting on the plan. The weight only dropped about 8 pounds but I went down a pant size. So yes, you can achieve both goals.

But like the ladies said, you need to feel your body and soul.
  • Just one thought besides the advice that has already been given.

I don't know if you are eating store bought hamburger patties or whether you are making your own. If eating store bought - take a look at the ingredients. They are often filled with bread, or something like that, to make them stick together.
  • In regards to the store bought patties, I never thought of that but yes i had a couple of those but most of the time i get them from Burger King or i eat cube steak. Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'm having baked chicken breast tonight with garlic season on it. Yum! But i still have a hard time making myself eat. It's like i'm not even hungry half the time. I'm lucky if i eat 2 meals aday. I should make sure i get at least three huh?
  • I know it is hard but try to make sure to get three meals plus snacks. I know how a stress of a breakup can make your appetite go completely MIA, but if you keep trying, you will eventually train your body to eat more often. And then your metabolism will kick in to high gear. It is good for weightloss. You don't want to starve!

Welcome to SBD and 3FC. Keep us posted.
  • Are you doing better now????