South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default splurging- uses for sf syrups?

Dropped dh off at the airport and splurged a little on the way home
Nobody in my area sales the davinci or Toranlli (probably spelled wrong) sugar free syrups. So I stopped at the World Market near the airport and picked up 4 big bottles- sf chocolate, sf white chocolate, sf french vanilla and sf almond roco what ever that is. Sounded interesting.

Ok, so I have all 4 of these flavors....well, what do I do with them? I guess I should have figured that out before I bought them. Oh, well. I did find sf vanilla in Salt Lake City last year. DH couldn't believe that I actually went to the store to get it. And carefully packed it in my carry on luggage so it would arrive home safely. I then labeled it with sharpy maker with my name

(...that's another story about in-laws who ate everything just because it was there. And a snide comment from dh when I complained.."Well, it doesn't have your name on it. How are they supposed to know it's yours?" It says sugar free on the label? It's in my cabinet? It's in the freezer in a single serving container? Well, I whipped out my Sharpy and proceeded to put my name on everything that was mine. Hey, we invited them to visit for a few weeks, they decided that a visit was going to be 3 monthes.)

Oops, got side tracked there. Ok, back to the reason of the post, I've added the sf vanilla to the ricotta and it doesn't really seem to taste as good as a splash of vanilla and a couple packets of splenda.

I do love it in coffee. But, (pout) then I want cream in my coffee to go with it. (whine) And not just a splash, I want it half coffee/ half cream, so the fat free half and half is ok but expensive when you go through 5 oz or more a day. And for some reason fat free does not equal calorie free, is that not fair or what? Oops, well, I don't drink coffee that often. I've learned.

Thanks,
Sarah
Old 07-22-2004, 02:23 PM   #2  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I put some in the fat free freezer bag ice cream as well as in my diet soda!
Old 07-22-2004, 02:36 PM   #3  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

I make jello with mine. There are at least a dozen flavors on my freezer. Here is the recipe:

1 envelope Knox Gelatine
1 small package of UNSWEETENED Kool-Aid
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup SF Syrup

In a bowl combine the Gelatine and Kool-aid and add boiling water and stir until dissolved. Put Syrup into cold water to make a cup, then add and chill.

I just started so am Phase I, not sure if I can have some whipped cream so was thinking that putting some splenda and a little flavored syrup in plain ff yogurt might be good on top. I enjoy the jello made this way as the Kool-aid kind of gives it a snap that jello doesn't have. I also flavored whipped cream with the sf syrups for certain desserts (when I was doing Atkins) and enjoyed it that way.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:03 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

A little syrup with cottage cheese is good, especially if you add fruit. Try it in smoothies. You can bake with them. Also, try drizzling a little over your Cool whip and have with a fudgesicle when you already ate your nuts for the day. Like a PB cup but with no PB. It's good!
Old 07-22-2004, 03:31 PM   #5  

Glad to see this post. I was wondering where you got those syrups. Do they then go against your 75 calorie limit? Thanks for all the ideas. I think I will go to World Market tomorrow!
Old 07-22-2004, 03:48 PM   #6  

I don't think so, because according to the label, 1 (or 2?) oz is 0 calories. So as long as you use it in moderation it probably wouldn't count.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:18 AM   #7  

I mixed up my powdered skim milk last night. I usually make up a quart at a time and stick it in the fridge to get cold for the next morning...not that I drink a quart of milk each morning. Well, I usually put a tablespoon of vanilla into the milk to cut the "powdered" milk taste. I used the sf chocolate syrup. I my gosh it was so good! Tasted just like Hershey chocolate milk...ok, ok, so it's been 7 months since I've had any so I might be off a little bit. It was still good!

Then I also found a chocolate spread that is sugar free with no hydrogenated oils. I was in a hurry at the store and thought it said serving size 2 T, calories 10. Yippee! Well, actually it was 10 servings total and the calories are 180, ouch. Anyway, it's really good and it's dark chocolate, imported from Holland.

Hmmm, I wonder were this chocolate fixation is coming from? Oh, well, moderation. Dont' drink the entire bottle of sf syrup and don't eat more then a teaspoon a day of the chocolate spread, occasionally.

I think it's because usually when dh goes away on a business trip, it's been a signal for me to binge and eat everything he frowns at me about regularly. It's a pound of bacon, cheesey scrambeled eggs with real butter and cheese, maybe a cheesecake and a meat lovers with extra cheese pizza and maybe some whipped cream on the cream cheese to round it all out. This time I not doing that. Weird.

Maybe I'm growing up away from those distructive habits that caused the major weight gain in the first place. Yeah, we do learn to change our tastebuds!
Old 07-26-2004, 11:44 AM   #8  
KP611

Default how long do they stay good

Does anyone know how long the Davinci Syrup stays fresh after you open it?

The bottles are so big and the serving size is only 2 tbs, so it must take forever to use up the whole thing! Also where do you store them after opening the fridge? or pantry? the bottle doesn't say must be refrigerated?

Just wondering since I just bought 4 bottles....

Thx....
Old 07-26-2004, 11:53 AM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Ladies - I found 8 bottles for $5.99 US here in TJ Maxx!!! In their gormet aisle -- they had 5 flavors, all sugar free. I got a Chai flavor, a wild raspberry, a coconut. Was tempted to get them all and send them to those of you who can't find it.

But check Tj Maxx/Ross/Marshalls!
Old 07-26-2004, 12:11 PM   #10  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

They stay good for a long time after opened. I have never had one go bad and I have been using them for a couple of years (not the same bottle.) I will have to give the chocolate milk a try.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:33 AM   #11  

Does anyone know where to buy sf syrups in Canada? I've found a sugar free pancake syrup (ED Smith) but it has all kinds of 'oses' in it so I'm wary of using it.

Also, does anyone know whether extracts (lemon extract, maple extract etc. used for baking) have sugar and/or how many calories they have?

Thanks - great thread.

Support will keep us going for the long haul.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:51 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You can get sf syrups at The Second Cup - they are not called Da Vinci but something else which I can't remember now! E.D.Smith syrup is a no-no - too processed and thw rong kind of "oses".
Most extracts are just flavour and alcohol. You use a very tiny bit so I'd not be concerned. A teaspoon of vanilla extract is 12 calories and 1 carb and a teaspoon is lots!
Old 07-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #13  

Thanks! That's helpful - I'll go looking today. Figured the ED Smith was a problem.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:12 PM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

"Go to any Second Cup coffee shop -- they sell "Torani" flavoured syrups, which are exactly the same." ....... just found it. Starbucks also sells sf vanilla.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:11 PM   #15  

FYI, I just found sf syrups (both Caramel & Amaretto) at Winners/Homesense. They were only $8 per bottle, as opposed to $11 at 2nd Cup. Not sure if it's a regular item or just a one-time deal, but thought I'd let you other Canadians know about it. Since Winners is TJ Maxx in the US, maybe US folks can look for it there.

Closed Thread