South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 11:22 PM   #1  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Default I'm New Too...

Well, hey everybody. I'm not only new to the South Beach Diet (started today) but I'm new to this kind of forum, too. Today went better than expected, for Day 1 of Phase 1, but I was so used to Weight Watchers....I feel like I'm just going to get fat by not keeping track of my calories. I guess I'm just really nervous because this is taking a lot of will-power on my part, and I don't want to let myself down. Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2004, 11:45 PM   #2  
RNMOM

Default hi and welcome

I guess I would say you're going to love SB.

Counting calories is so foreign to me. I had a session with a trainer at the cardiac rehab department at our hospital. Employees get to use the facilities at a really good price. He was showing me how to do the weight machine, measured my body and body fat. He asked me how many calories I eat in a day. I told him I have no clue. You'll get used to it and find it refreshing. I work with a nurse who is doing WW for the 3rd time in as many years. She's busy counting points and eating some nasty frozen dinners. I feel that this way of eating gives a lot more choices and options.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:01 AM   #3  
Conquering with SBD

I agree. Having done WW for a year, carrying around a book to track everything that I put in my mouth, I find this extremely refreshing. All I have to do for this plan is to make sure that I eat OP, eat enough and not worry about anything else.

I did lose a lot of weight on WW, but on reflection, I realize that I was actually starving myself. I am also not crazy about the food on that plan that I could eat to keep myself full. At that point, I did not want to follow the program anymore because I was not enjoying my food in any way, shape, or form. The dr. also put me on hormones at that time and the 30 - 40 lbs. that I gained came very easy.

On SBD, I can eat OP foods until I am full, I can get a snack when I am hungry and still lose weight. I love this program because it includes all the foods that I like. For me it is easier to stay OP because I am not a carboholic - I don't miss the carbs in the least. I miss the occasional sweet, and I miss pasta, but there are alternatives to those, as well.

AND the weight has come off fairly well. Hope that you have the same success. Welcome.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:05 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach. You'll love this new Lifestyle.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:37 AM   #5  
The cat lady

Default hi and welcome

Hi Weezle,
Glad you came to the beach. I started yesterday. Am doing good so far. I totally agree with everyone about WW. I have been on it a million times. I just hate having to keep track of points and everything. Too time consuming and I am not sure it is good to be so totally focused on your food that way.
South Beach is so versatile, especially after Phase I.
I can't wait to get there. I got the old bread machine out a few weeks back. I am going to check out the local health food stores, plus I have whole wheat stored that I can make my own whole wheat flour out of. Of course, I will make sure I don't go overboard on trying new breads and such. I am also a lover of cereal and love that we can have things like "Fiber One" on Phase II. I will enjoy that.
Anyway, so glad you joined us. This is a great site and lots of wonderful people here.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:08 AM   #6  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome to the Beach it won't take long and you will be in the swing of it. Remember it is not a diet but a way of life.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:13 AM   #7  
I vant to draw your blood

Hello, Weezle--

Welcome to the Beach. I'm a WW expat, myself, so I know where you're coming from. At first, on SBD, I DID write everything down, but soon I was able to do without it.

Hope you have much success!

Mamacita
Old 07-13-2004, 08:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 193.2/193.2/160

Welcome to SB ,
I, too, was on WW and found that as time went on I stayed within my points but not really making the right choices, and then starving myself the rest of the day because I used up all my points. I also felt when I started on SB that I was eating way too much and lo and behold that was not the case because they were the right things to eat. The 15th of July will be one month of being on SB and I can say I never felt better. Good luck to you in your SB journey.

Doreen
Old 07-13-2004, 08:49 AM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to the Beach!
Old 07-13-2004, 08:50 AM   #10  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome to the Beach pull up a chair and enjoy the sun and the sand and the warm friendships.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:24 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

welcome to the beach
Old 07-13-2004, 11:35 AM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Welcome, Weezle! :

I think you'll find that SBD is so freeing! There are things to count (SF treats: 75 cals, servings of fruit, beans, starch, dairy), but not so many that you go crazy. You'll be eating a lot, but not so much that you have trouble losing the weight.

It's an amazing new WOE that I feel I can do for life, which is what makes me so jazzed! This is the first time that I've done a diet and not spent my time dreaming of when I'm finished and able to eat anything in sight again! Instead, I marvel at my shrinking body and the amazing energy and feeling of good health that I currently possess, and look forward to a life that is filled with continuing energy (and more than my one-a-day starch )!

Candy, I love your signature verse! Perfect! :
Old 07-13-2004, 12:28 PM   #13  

I just started too and I constantly find myself wondering how many points something I am eating is. I am still writing things down, but I find this helps keep me accountable for portions and snacks.
Closed Thread