pregnancy

• HI everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has any input on being on SB and trying to get pregnant. Just read an article, it reported that this was not the best eating plan for women trying to conceive? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Have a great weekend
  • well this is my opinion on that matter, RUBBISH!!!! My ob/gyn condoned this way of eating while I was pregnant, and I now have a very healthy 8 month old!! I would say to skip phase I if you are pregnant and go straight to phase II but it is such a healthy way of eating that it can't be anything but beneficial I would rather put whole foods in my body than processed foods any day One common myth is that SBD is low carb which it isn't at all, its GOOD carbs and Good Fats

HTH
    Michelle
  • I concur with Michelle. For those that have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), my OB/GYN says this diet is exactly what she would prescribe to assist them in getting pregnant.

I would talk with your doctor and OB/GYN to see what they have to say, but I believe they will approve SBD with some slight emphasis on vitamins (esp. folic acid) and ensuring you are drinking your milk and eating your dairy.

I agree with you Michelle! I'd rather feed my growing child with veggies, fruits, lean meat, beans, and good carbs and fats than with twinkies and Coke! (RKWorth, that's not a jab at you, by the way...just a comment on what I might have been eating while trying to get pregnant if I hadn't started SBD! )
  • If you're talking about the article that said the problem was too much protein and mentioned low carb diets, then that doesn't apply to this at all. As beachgal said, take a prenatal vitamin and continue eating all the fresh foods on this diet. I can't think of anything you could do to better help prepare yourself for a baby. I wish I had known about this when I was pregnant with my almost 7 year old!
  • Yup, regarding the article on protein, you can use tools like www.fitday.com to figure out how much protein you are eating each day and stay within the limits they mentioned. You'll find that you are not eating the excessive amounts of protein they eat on Atkins and other low carb diets. We don't count our carbs, so there is no real comparison between SBD and low carb diets.
  • Thank you! I did speak with my ob/gyn back in january. I let her know that we would be trying to get pregnant this year, so she recommended South Beach to me, i have lost almost 30 lbs. She also prescribed prenatals, while we are trying to conceive. So, when i read this article, i questioned it. I am taking the prenatals now and following a phase II plan.

Beachgal, no offense taken to twinkies and coke.. if only twinkies were healthy

thanks for all the feedback.. hopefully we will be able to conceive sometime this summer

see you all later
  • RKWorth, I wish you the best of luck in conceiving! We hope to start trying as soon as I lose this weight...I envy you this special time! Hopefully next year at this time, I can be doing the same, and you will be holding your little bundle of joy!

At least the trying to conceive is fun!
  • RK My husband and I are trying to get pregnant this summer and I am just following Phase 2 and taking prenatal vitamins. Once I do get pregnant, I plan to follow Phase 3 as a healthy way of eating, NOT as a "diet".

It is just such a healthy, natural way of eating......
  • Rkworth, I think it may have been me that posted some article for interests sake. I can't remember, but I think it may have been referring to Atkins.? Anyhow, it said they'd only "experimented" on rats or something similar.
    I'm with the girls... this is such a healthy way of eating! And your doctor will give you recommendations on what foods/vitamins to add.