South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 02:00 PM   #1  

Default south beach cookbook recipes

Has anyone tried many of the cookbook recipes?
A lot of them look like they take a long time to prepare and I have two small children and not a lot of time.
I did try the meatloaf recipe which my whole family seemed to like. I put the unsweetened ketchup on it for the four year old.
I also tried the sausage egg cups with turkey bacon instead of sausage. They kind of came out dry.
Any recipe recommendations from the cookbook?
Old 07-01-2004, 02:07 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Check out our own recipe section for ideas. I don't own the book but am considering it although I usually just adapt my usual recipes. Maybe someone else can give you their opinion.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:08 PM   #3  

I recently purchased the cookbook and as the mom of twin toddlers, I understand your concerns over prep time for many of the entrees. One of the things I have done is use their marinades often. I pull out chicken the day before and after the kids go to bed, I get the chicken in the marinade. Then it is ready to be cooked when I get home from work the next day.

I bought the Jenny O (I think that is the brand) turkey sausage patties and broke those into pieces for the sausage egg cups. They were not dry at all. I generally think turkey bacon has no flavor and suspect that contributed to the dryness of the cups you made.

As I work through the cookbook, I will post which recipes seem to fit into the schedule best.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:20 PM   #4  

I'll take a look tonight and see which ones from the cookbook were hits. I know there is a marinated pork chop recipe that we all like. Last night we tried the Vegetarian Chili and Avocado Salsa recipe. We like the Avocado Salsa but none of us liked the chili as well as the Crockpot chili that I got off of this forum.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:01 PM   #5  

I don't have the cookbook, but I think the recipes on this site are much better than the ones that were in the original diet plan book. Most of those were a bit too "fancy" for both my tastebuds and my wallet.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:28 PM   #6  
I found my hipbones!

I have tried many of the recipes from both books, and like many of you have mentioned, some are a bit labor intensive. I, however, LOVE to cook, so I kinda saw it as a challenge. Off the top of my head (hard to say without the book in front of me), the ones I have liked best are the lemon couscous chicken, the portobello pizzas, the beef kabobs with peanut sauce, the soufflé chicken, portobellos with goat cheese... There was one, and the name is escaping me...I think it's savory chicken sauté? I have not had much luck with the seafood recipes from the books, which is sad b/c I love seafood. And one recipe I will NOT try again is the parmesan popovers from the cookbook...blech. Ended up tasting like really bland wheat muffins.

From the recipe section on this website, my favorite recipe is the stuffed pork chops. Definitely a pleaser!

BTW, I agree about the sausage egg cups...way too dry for me.
Closed Thread