Short Term Goals

• Hi everyone!

My name is Jess and I'm 22. I recently started the South Beach Diet and am trying to come up with a short term goal. The thing is I'm not quite sure I know what is a healthy goal and was wondering if anyone could help me out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! My long time goal is to be 145 lbs...and then who knows!
  • I guess that would depend on how tall you are. I'm 5'7, 178, and my short term goal is 160. Once I reach that I'll evaluate how I look and what size I can wear and determine what my final goal will be. I'm thinking probably 145 would be a healthy target. Fitday.com has a tool in which you can enter your weight and height and it tells you what is a healthy range. G'luck.
  • The first time I started on a plan to lose weight, I had 60 pounds to lose. When I looked at that, it seemed to be insurmountable. I decided to track my weight weekly and set up some mini goals. Each time I moved below one of the 5 lb. increments on the scale, I congratulated myself and then started to focus on the next 5 lb. increment. By doing that, I was able to focus on mangeable segments.

In addition to the 5 lb. segments, I set larger goals for myself. These goals revolved around BMI scores and normal weight ranges. Although I have never been over 200 lb. (I was close but have not been there), I noticed that many of the ladies set a goal to be in ONEderland (below the 200 lb. mark). I also set goals for congratulating myself when I moved from the obese category to ONLY overweight. That was one of the larger mini goals that I set. I am below that point now, but intend to celebrate once again when I move from overweight into the normal weight range.

Set up small, do-able goals for yourself that will encourage your weight loss and not overwhelm you. Good luck.
  • Jess, welcome to the Beach!!