3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Good news from the docs office! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/42699-good-news-docs-office.html)

wendyjo 06-28-2004 01:57 PM

Good news from the docs office!

OK, so I'm Type 2 diabetic and I also have cholesteral so high that at one point my triglycerides were literally off the charts (over 400). So since the start of April I've been on the South Beach diet and I decided to stop taking my meds (but still monitoring my blood sugar, of course) and see what happens. I had some blood work done last week and everything is great. My diabetes is fully under control with no meds, and my total cholesteral went down from 221 (on meds) to 169 (no meds) and my triglyderides also went down from 198 to 99 after going off the meds and starting the diet.

My HDL (good cholesteral) went down a tiny bit though, and that's not good (it should be higher) but once I can start exercising again that should go back up.

I am gonna stay on this plan for life, that's for sure.

Barb0522 06-28-2004 02:19 PM

Great news! Congratulations on your results. They are spectacular!

jenne1017 06-28-2004 02:23 PM

Congrats! Great news and good job!

KristasMom 06-28-2004 02:32 PM

Wow! What did your doctor say?
I know that the important thing in this case is your blood chemistry (I'm on South Beach so that when I go to the doctor I don't get yelled at - that and changing insurance 3 times in the past year), but what kind of a weight loss did this come with?

You are, incidentally, a goddess - actually putting your health first. :^:

Sue
278/??/160
SW/CW/GW

wendyjo 06-28-2004 02:39 PM

LOL, I am a goddess :) Thanks.

I've lost about 16 or 17 pounds, depending on what day I weigh myself. I haven't talked to the doctor, only the nurse, but she was pretty impressed. I suppose I will start taking my Lipitor again and see how low I can get the cholesteral, but I was really shocked at how much it came down on it's own. And since starting SB I only take a pill for my diabetes if I know I'm gonna have something sweet, which happens now and again. I guess I went from 3 glucophage a day to maybe 1 a week. Yippee :)

Ruthxxx 06-28-2004 03:06 PM

Good going. My Type II is now considered fully controlled by my doc. Are you sure you need to go back to taking Lipitor? Maybe you should check with the doc.

wendyjo 06-28-2004 03:17 PM

Yeah, Ruth, well she is a pill pusher and I didn't even tell her I had stopped taking it cause she would have had a fit. So I usually leave her out of these kinds of decisions :0

ellis 06-28-2004 04:25 PM

Wendyjo, that is wonderful news!! :grouphug:

beachgal 06-28-2004 04:56 PM

WendyJo, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :cp: :cheer: :high: :cp:

If you don't mind, I think I'm going to share this with my mom, who is a Type 2 diabetic. I've been trying to get her to check out SBD, but she's afraid of letting any carbs in her diet. I think she might be less likely to cheat on SBD because she can have so many of the things she loves.

wendyjo 06-29-2004 09:21 AM

That sounds like a good idea, beachgal - I wish I could convince my mom to go on SB.

cac 06-29-2004 09:39 AM

Congrats!!!!! This is terrific and an inspiration!

sweet tooth 06-29-2004 09:45 AM

Woohoo!!! BIG pat on the back. Way to go...enjoy.