South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 11:21 PM   #1  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Default Flax Seed

I FOUND IT!!!! Whole Foods it was!

It was a lot cheaper than I thought [$1.99] so I got 2 bags [I am going to take one home with me for my dad and get him using it] and also a bag of sesame seeds [which have the same nutritional value except 1 grm more sat fat than flax -- 5g of carbs, 4g being fiber].

Not to be a complete "idi0t", but now what do I do with it? What can I put it on??????
Old 05-25-2004, 11:24 PM   #2  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

Well when I was doing my "research" I found that you should only grind what you need. I think it would be good in a fruit smoothie, protein shake, possibly on a salad or even in home made dressing. Other people sprinkle it on cereal though I am not a cereal lover so I have never tried it. I tried a recipe that was tuna melts with flax mixed in but I think I used too much and it was nasty. But my fave is in a smoothie.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:30 PM   #3  

Hmmm, I can't really drink smoothie's yet. Well, I've opted to hold off on the fruit and yogurt for now. I am probably going to go back to Phase 1 for a week or so to lose the weight I gain while at home [I anticipate at least 4 lbs and I won't be too upset about it] so I am going to hold off on the smoothies.

Tuna and salads ... ok.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:45 PM   #4  
Hittin' the Beach

Yeah I guess that is a good idea. I am not doing smoothies yet either, but I might add it to a protein shake. Although I have no idea if those are allowed either. Good job on planning everything for your vacation. Hope you have a great time. I'm still wondering how to add things for phase 2 on Thursday eek.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:50 PM   #5  

I hear you Steph. I am still wondering that myself -- I can not WAIT to eat an apple again! I just have to remember to do those things later in the day, so I don't crave as much, you know?

Good thing is that if I do get out of control, I have the comfort of knowing I can go back to phase 1 and lose the weight in that I am comfortable doing it too.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:04 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, guys!

Jenn, you can put flax seeds in anything! On salads would be super good. When you get to Phase 2, they go very, very well on oatmeal. You can throw them in your ricotta dessert (or did you say you didn't like that?), did your fudgesicle in the seeds, or throw them on the pb cub...extra nutty version! They are good in just about anything and so good for you! Full of good fats!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

I have a coffee/spice grinder that I use for grinding my flax seeds. I tend to grind just what I need. It is high in fat-the good fat-so it will go rancid pretty fast if not refrigerated.

In phase 1, I added it to the yogurt. About 1 t. with 1 pkt splenda and 1 T vanilla. I really like vanilla.

Now, I add it to yogurt, cottage cheese and oatmeal.

Did you see the flax seeds in the bulk area? It's even cheaper, I think it's about .99 a pound. If I remember correctly. I haven't been in a couple months. I tend to buy a big bag when I go.

I found this salad dressing recipe recently. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Lemon Garlic Dressing Recipe
2 Tbs. powdered flax seeds
2 cloves garlic
pinch salt
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 large tomato
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1 lemon (seeds removed)
1/2 cup water
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. If you like the taste of garlic, you’ll love this dressing on your salad.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:49 PM   #8  
Hittin' the Beach

Jenn: I understand, I know if I add fruit in the morning I will be starving by snack time. That is why I am kinda scared to add it anytime but I think I will be safe if I eat it with some cheese or peanut buttter. I also can't wait for apples with cinnamon and splenda....even though I never ate that stuff pre-SBD. Just craving it now.

Beachgal: Good idea dipping the fudgesicle in the flax and mixing it in the peanut butter cup.

Sarahyu: That salad dressing sounds yummy, I will definitely try it. I don't like store bought creamy dressings so this seems perfect.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:13 PM   #9  

Hi all -- just an FYi which may also be classified as TMI, but the flax seed worked. Used it once and wow! Tonight I am having it in my "pasta". I ate it in a salad with tuna the other day and it was quite good!

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-01-2004, 07:23 PM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

TMI!!!
Teasing you, Jenn. Isn't that stuff AMAZING!?!?
Old 06-01-2004, 07:35 PM   #11  

Sorry -- was in the bathroom

YES IT IS!!!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:43 AM   #12  
barefoot princess

Hey ladies - one more question - does it have to be ground up to be beneficial? Is it like a sesame seed (ok whole) or would that be like eating a walnut with the shell on...?!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Princess!

Yes, it has to be ground to be beneficial. Not as hard to pass as a walnut, but definitely it's only benefit whole would be to add bulk to your intestines. The little seed shell is too hard for your body to break down, so you have to grind them to make them work. I bought a mortar and pestle to try doing it by hand, and that did not work well. Darn things are slippery! So...do what everyone else suggested, and just buy them ground. Keep them in the fridge, as they go bad quickly, and then you can just sprinkle them on stuff!

I love cottage cheese with cinnamon, flax seed, and a little sweetener. It's yummy! Also, fruit (I like strawberries and blueberries) with SF vanilla yogurt, cinnamon, and flax seed is like a cobbler with ice cream. Yummmmmm
Old 07-13-2004, 12:16 PM   #14  
barefoot princess

Smile

Good to know! I'm going to try it today with the fudgesicle/pnut butter (my favorite) and will add cottage cheese to my grocery list to try. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2004, 12:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

I have a coffe grinder that I use to grind my flax and anything else that needs to be ground. I don't actually drink coffee so I don't have to worry about making the coffee taste bad.
Closed Thread