3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Product Advice and Recommendations (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/40476-product-advice-recommendations.html)

beachgal 05-10-2004 02:54 PM

Product Advice and Recommendations

I did a long search at the grocery store for items to use during Phase 2. I found a bunch of items that I was not sure of. For instance, several recipes in my recent issue of Cooking Light use Soba (buckwheat) noodles. Do you think these would be okay? I picked up a package of noodles that read "chuka soba", but look like ramen noodles. Not sure if they are okay.

Also, I picked up some Lite Cool Whip...and read the ingredients, which are mostly sugar. Why does Dr. A recommend it? Have any of you had any adverse effects from using it? :dizzy:

What brands have you found for your whole wheat bread? Did you have to go to a specialty store to find it? Does it have molasses or any other sugars in it?

What brand do you use for Pita bread? Does it have enriched flour in it? The only kind I found has enriched flour, which makes me think that it is not the right thing to use.

I would love to hear product recommendations for Phase 2. Thanks! :D

pikapuffie 05-10-2004 04:05 PM

ooh i'd love to know too. so far i've just been eating like phase 1 but with fruit so i wanna get on the right track. esp considering i might have messed up on the pita thing today. :(

beachgal 05-10-2004 04:49 PM

Why do you think you messed up with the pita thing, Pikapuffie? Because of the enriched flour? I was thinking the same thing, but he actually mentions a similar pita in the cookbook, so I am all farshushket! (a little Yiddish is helpful...)

SBD gurus, help us Phase 2 newbies!

Ruthxxx 05-10-2004 06:06 PM

Pita is fine as long as it's whole wheat as the first ingredient. Enriched flour is not the same as whole wheat. What you are looking for in Phase II is whole grains - brown rice, steel cut oats, whole grain bulgar and pastas.
Cool Whip? I'm afraid I don't have my book handy so can't verify that Dr A said it was OK although the Good Fats, Good Carbs book says it's OK. What exactly are the ingredients?
We really should be avoiding any highly processed foods on this plan.

jenne1017 05-10-2004 06:53 PM

It's Cool Whip FREE that you need - not LITE. It's in a teal green and white tub--no sugar and delish!

beachgal 05-11-2004 11:59 AM

I looked at the Cool Whip Free, and it had sugar in it too, I thought. Maybe I'm nuts....Hmmmm...

I did look at the Pitas, and they only had two kinds, white and wheat. The wheat's first ingredient was "enriched wheat flour".

Does anyone have a brand that they get in pitas (and tortillas) or a website I can order them from? I would love to eat them in Phase 2, and if Wegman's doesn't carry them, I have a feeling I'll either be driving to Ithaca or ordering online!

little chick 05-11-2004 12:21 PM

In the ultra low fat cool whip the first ingredient listed is corn syrup....yuck when you read the ingredients you know you really don't want to eat it.

lyrac425 05-11-2004 01:04 PM

I have eaten plain old regular Cool Whip during Phase 2. Love it frozen. I put it on SF Jell-O and on my no sugar added fudgescicles sometimes. I don't eat a whole carton at a sitting just a couple of tablespoons, but since Jan 12th have lost 31 pounds. Sometimes I just need that little taste of something creamy. If having a little "something" makes you crave more, then probably avoid it, but it hasn't hurt me any.

beachgal 05-11-2004 01:36 PM

Little Chick, I totally agree...the ingredients in Cool Whip have always made me shudder! Would it be better, possible, to whip up cream with sugar substitute? It's all so confusing!

Does anyone have an answer to my original question about soba noodles!

jenne1017 05-11-2004 02:06 PM

That goes to show how much I've been paying attention - although the FREE only has 3 carbs [I am sure all sugar] per the site.

I thought that peanut butter dessert with the cool-whip and sugar free fudge bar was ok for phase 1!!! Now I am confused - I ate it 3x last week for dessert as I loathe the ricotta desserts!

beachgal 05-11-2004 02:23 PM

Jenn,

The recipe was posted as okay for Phase 1...and for some reason, the cool whip is often mentioned in SBD materials, I think. I guess that's what totally confuses me!

So...is it better to have the little bit of sugar in Cool Whip or better to have the little bit of cream (i.e. saturated fat) in whipped cream? Hmmm.... :chin: