Natural Peanut Butter Recs?

• First just want to say that I'm a SB Newbie (Phase 1, day 2)--so far, so good, except a headache both afternoons.

I went in search of natural peanut butter, and bought the only kind my grocery had--Smuckers. Unfortunately, I think it's awful!

Was excited to be able to include PB on the plan, but miss my old Jif! Anyone find anything tasty? I know that it won't be as sweet as the standard brands that I grew up on, but just want something better than the Smuckers... Thanks!!
  • Hi, MissChevious!

I'm sorry you didn't like the peanut butter. I grew up on it, so I always thought the sugar kind was more like a desert and less like PB! I hope you grow to like it as much as I do!

Did you see the PB cup recipe in the South Beach recipe forum? It's also here under my thread on eating PB during Phase 1. Sounds very good! I think you might like that!

I guess until you get used to it, you could put some sweetener on your PB. It just takes a shift in thinking...Peanut butter is a savory, not a sweet. It's nice and salty....yum! I hope you learn to like it!
  • Sorry MissChevious. I never ate PB, but bought Smuckers for SBD, and I like it too. Perhaps you could try the health food section of a bigger market and try another brand? In Phase 2 you could put it on an apple. Anyway, good luck........Jo
  • Quote: Did you see the PB cup recipe in the South Beach recipe forum? It's also here under my thread on eating PB during Phase 1. Sounds very good! I think you might like that!
    No!!! Where is it? I saw mention of it in another post and I want to go out and get the stuff. I am PMS'ing BADLY and need something sweet.

I looked in the recipes under dessert and nadda. I know it's sugar-free fudgsicles, cool-whip free and peanut butter, I think.

Please fill me in!!!!

• Hi, Jenn!

BTW, love your website! Been thinking about that when I feel irritable...out of my way, I'm hungry AND grouchy!

So, I hope I'm not quoting this wrong, but here's the scoop:

SBD PB cup:
    1 sugar free fudgsicle
    2 Tbsp PB
    2 Tbsp Light Cool Whip

Let the fudgsicle melt a bit (or micro for 15 secs) and scrape off stick into a bowl.
    Add the PB and cool whip, mix. Eat!

I also recently bought Sugar Free creamsicles. They are fabulous! They also make SF popsicles (in tropical flavors, too) and SF Jello, both in premade cups and in boxes.

I found a recipe in the recipe forum for a strawberry rhubarb dessert. It sounds awesome!

Hope this helps, Jenn!
  • Laurie -- it totally helps!

I bought the sugar-free popsicles and love them. I eat them when I am craving fruit. Also, I didn't like the rocitta desserts so I may have 1 or 2 in place of them.

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to go gto the gym and on the way home get some tonight
  • Yum, I had a popsicle today after lunch. Delicious!

MissChevious, have you had any luck finding something new to do with the PB so you like it better? I do have the Smuckers brand, and I must say that it is less salty and tasty than my favorite, Laura Scudders (I used to get that in CA). Personally, I add a little salt. Also, make sure to stir it really well or you get too much oil and the stuff in the bottom will become like a rock!
  • I decided to revisit the Smucker's jar the other day--and was surprised to find it much tastier! I think the first time that I tried it, I just didn't get it all mixed up very well--it definitely tasted oily to me. The refridgeration seems to have helped tremendously. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm glad I gave it another go.

BTW, I'm phase 1--can I include the cool whip if I make a PB cup? Wasn't sure that was allowed...
  • I started the SBD today....although I haven't bought the book - am getting my info from the Prevention.com site. RE: Peanut butter. Do you have a food co-op or natural foods store nearby? They have these grinding machines where you dump in the whole peanuts and out comes the fresh p.b. - i won't say what it looks like snaking into your container. You can grind up small amounts at a time, thereby insuring the freshest product.
  • I just found low carb skippy peanut butter and I really like it.