South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 01:23 PM   #1  

Default How much if not exercising?

I'm on day 3 of phase 1. I can't excercise right now so I'm wondering if I'll still see half-decent results.

Also, I'm wondering where you guys are getting the recipes that you post.......are you just making them up, or is there a place on-line you get them from? I'm a little worried about getting bad advise (no offense, please) cause I've already seen where someone posted saying carrots were OK to snack on during Phase 1.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:38 PM   #2  
Pending Email Confirmation

I don't exercise very much and in the first phase I lost about 6 inches and 10 lbs or so. I am losing slowly now that I've graduated to phase two, but I am still losing. I plan to start exercising too because i know it will help me lose faster.
By the way, I thought we were allowed carrots now. I thought it was revised....?

I get a lot of recipes from here, but mostly I just use common sense and cook my own meals. Like chicken breast with veggies or a turkey burger. Just following my list of foods is enough. Though in the recipe forum there is a recipr for Fireside bean and turkey sausage soup and it is my new favorite thing to eat, i have it once a week.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:55 PM   #3  

Ooops ... it was probably me that posted vegie sticks including carrots. Carrots are now allowed in moderation in phase two but not phase one. Sorry for setting everyone wrong here.

There is an official South Beach Diet site you can subscribe to but it costs. About half the book contains recipes. The FAQ section of this forum has an updated list of legal foods so you can put together your own recipes based on this list. As long as you are familiar with the list of legal foods you should be able to determine if any recipe is legal.

I don't have a lot of time for meal preparation so I use a lot of dry seasonings (morrocan, cajun, piri piri, tuscan) to flavour chicken, fish and meat. If you are eating salads or stir fry there are lots of choice of vegetables and as long as you follow guidelines you can add dressings or seasoning.

As for exercising - you should still see a big weight loss during the first two weeks because most of this is water loss. From what I remember from a Psych 101 class you need to exercise to increase your metabolic rate so that your body 'lets go' of the fat. When you cut calories your body goes into famine mode and clutches anything it can. Sustained weight loss will be difficult without any exercise at all. Some people have to lose a significant amount of weight before they can begin on an exercise program and this seems to be achievable on diet alone. I use www.fitday.com to track my daily calories and activities and things like housework, putting away shopping, washing dishes and taking care of the kids are classed as activities so presumably we are all active during the day even though we think we are not exercising.

Last edited by chick_on_the_beach; 03-30-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:05 PM   #4  

I saw the Fireside Bean soup last week when I was checking out this site and I plan to make it tonite. I'm not using butter beans, though, cause the only ones I could find at my store has added sugar. I'm using some other type of white bean that had about the same amount of carbs but more fiber.
Closed Thread