South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 08:49 PM   #1  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Do you eat Splenda. If so...read this.

I was crazy for Splenda, but now I am not so sure anymore. Thought I'd let you guys decide for yourselves.

http://www.mercola.com/2003/aug/23/splenda.htm

http://www.rense.com/general48/sps.htm

There is no concrete evidence that Splenda isn't bad for you. That like everything else will come 10 yrs after it was introduced. I am thinking that I just don't want to be the guinea pig. I am going to do more research on Stevia because so far it seems to be the best sugar alternative out there.

This definately throws a big wrench into my weight loss plans, but my health is more important than the luxury of Splenda sweetened products.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #2  
Believe it & Achieve it

I'm not to worried about it personally. I don't eat a lot of products with Splenda, but I do enjoy certain splenda sweetened products.

Quite frankly though, there is always something wrong with just about every product out there according this study and that study. If we always listened to what people said and followed it to a "T" then there would be nothing left to eat and enjoy, right down to organic fruits and vegetables!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:06 PM   #3  

I didn't read what those articles said yet, but I get very strange, severe gastrointestinal symptoms with Splenda. Once at Costco, I saw some Splenda-sweetened fruit seltzer type drinks, and I thought ooh, goody, no calories and a nice spritzy sweet drink. So I brought it home, and boy did I swill the stuff. It tasted fantastic. I drank about two or three a day, until suddenly one day I felt like I had a bowling ball in my stomach. Literally, like five or six bricks were in my stomach. Then I had some very, very painful episodes in the bathroom, and afterward was dizzy, with terrible headaches. It didn't go away until I stopped drinking the stuff. Then one day I started drinking it again (I didn't make the connection at the time) and the bowling ball came back, with searing headaches and terrible bowel problems. I haven't touched a grain of Splenda since. I've heard it is chemically similar to pesticides. Poison. Ugh.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:09 PM   #4  

Oh, and I have a long history of swilling Nutrasweet in the form of Diet Pepsi. When people told me they had trouble with Nutrasweet, I used to laugh my head off. I thought all this "sensitivity" stuff was BS. Not anymore. Actually, since that Splenda nightmare I don't touch Nutrasweet anymore either. I don't feel the need to eat things people make in laboratories. This country has done quite enough to my health with fast food, trans fats and sugars, salts, and fillers added to almost every packaged product you can find...why should I trust their artificial sweeteners? Why?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:42 PM   #5  
A Lily from my yard!

I'm an Equal user and my sister tells me to stop using it cause it destroys brain cells. She says Splenda is where it's happenin'. I guess I'll have to let her know. Well I'll just continue to Bless my food before I eat it and not worry about it. Thanks for postin the info.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:12 AM   #6  

Thanks for posting this.

I dont know about chemical type foods......frankenfoods as Ruthie would say. I tend to think that I would prefer my life if I did not eat them at all, and if I lived much more ethically generally. But occasionally I do have unethical blips. I will be more cautious with the Splenda after reading this. I have it sprinkled on my yoghurt and blueberries, and it does not taste great. I could replace it with some cinnamon or something and be fine with that. I dont have a very sweet tooth.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:41 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, my position is that we got into trouble eating sweet stuff and the artificial sweeteners make us think that it's still OK to eat them. Then we slip sometimes and eat food with real sugar and we're doomed.
I'm off my soapbox now.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:39 AM   #8  

very interesting stuff. that said, the amounts needed to produce the mentioned affects is in the "tons"...back when saccharin was found to "cause cancer in lab rats" rats were given gigantic amounts, much much more than the average human would consume, so like everything else, good & bad, moderation is key.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:14 PM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

Any of those sweeteners are going to give you those exact stomach problems if consumed in excess. There is a warning on all of them that they "may have a laxitive affect."
Anything in excess can't be good for you - otherwise we wouldn't all be here, huh? Substituting "fake" foods for your old favorites is not teaching you how to eat correctly, no matter how you look at it.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:19 PM   #10  
I vant to draw your blood

A different view of Splenda:

For what it's worth...waaay back, there used to be a very good artificial sweetner called cyclamate. Well, the manufacturers of saccharine decided to do some "research" and announced that cyclamate caused cancer in lab rats. So, the FDA, acting in our "best interests" took cyclamate off the market. 30 years later, guess what? There was never any evidence that cyclamate caused cancer, it was all marketing propaganda to get people to switch to saccharine.

I'm not advocating the use of artificial sweetners, b/c some people do have adverse reactions to them. But for me, at least, who can't drink coffee or tea unsweet or want to eat a chocolate bar occasionally without consuming a bunch of sugar, Splenda has been a lifesaver. Even my husband, who normally won't touch anything artifically sweetened, doesn't have a fit over the taste of Splenda.

Eating food that are high in sugar helped me to become the overweight adult that I am. Adult onset diabetes is fast becoming the #1 killer of adults in the US. I'd rather take my chances with the Splenda than deal with the complications of diabetes for the rest of my life.

Mamacita
Old 03-26-2004, 09:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I couldn't have said it better, myself, Mamacita. I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:55 AM   #12  

Splenda has been in Canada for many, many years now and I have never heard of any of this. I think if you use artifcial sweetners, use them in moderation. I have been using Stevia the past few months and like it very much. I have been using the liquid Stevia. It is expensive compared to other sweetners, but it also goes along way. 48 drops of stevia is equal to a cup of sugar!!
Old 03-27-2004, 06:34 AM   #13  
I vant to draw your blood

Have any of you stevia users noticed that funky, licorice aftertaste? I love the taste of licorice, but not in my coffee or tea...or bran flakes...so I've never been able to cultivate a liking for stevia.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:30 AM   #14  
kpw

my $.02 -

Mamacita - then the folks peddling Aspartame did the same thing by edging out Saccharin. Funny though, of all the sweetners, Aspartame effects me the worse (negatively), and it seems to have the biggest hold on the market.

I find that I use different sweetners for different things. Baking, I like Splenda the best. For just sweetner in my cereal or quickie mix-ins I use Stevia. I do notice a licorice like aftertaste with Stevia but it doesn't bother me. I use Sugar Twin's Brown Sugar subst which is saccharin for things like sauces (asian, bbq). The one thing I don't use is aspartame in anything, really, but that's because it really upsets my stomach. And I don't like the aftertaste. I'm just glad that there are products coming out that don't use it...
Old 03-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #15  

I still use sugar. I know I'm not supposed to (it isn't op) but I'm only eating meat and vegetables, so naturally I don't use much. Just to flavor my meats for BBQ and sauces for fish, etc. I figure the glycemic index of some sugar used to flavor a large portion of meat is pretty darn minimal. I've become accustomed to not eating dessert. Dessert is a slippery slope for me. Getting into the habit of NOT eating it is part of my journey.
I'm still very much on a downward slope with weight loss, regardless of my BBQ and tartar sauces.
Closed Thread