South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 04:54 PM   #1  

Lightbulb Hello! New to SB with ?'s

Hi I am Judee, and I am new to the beach. Dh has been on the beach for 8 days now and last time he weighed he lost 11 pounds. I started 2 days ago and have lost 4. Please bear with me while i ask a few questions.

What phase would these items be on and do I have to watch the qty?

Cream Cheese
Sour Cream
Cool Whip
Pork Chops
Sausage
Land O Lakes Gourmet 1/2 & 1/2

This book needs to explain the foods that you can and can't have better or maybe it is just me...lol If anyone has a link or something that will help me I would Love it. I need some dessert ideas on Phase 1 besides that Ricotta dessert. That did not appeal to me.

Thank you and I am sure that i will have more quesitons as soon as you answer those...lol
Old 03-22-2004, 05:02 PM   #2  

BTW, I am already doing the Sf Jello for dessert. I already need a change.

I have looked at the recipe section and didn't see many desserts.

Judee
Old 03-22-2004, 05:11 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryn2GetThin
What phase would these items be on and do I have to watch the qty?

Cream Cheese
Sour Cream
Cool Whip
Pork Chops
Sausage
Land O Lakes Gourmet 1/2 & 1/2
2 tbsp low-fat or fat free creamcheese in Phase 2

2 tbsp reduced-fat or fat free sour cream in Phase 2

3 oz pork chop: center loin, broiled; sirloin, braised; top loin, braised

Sausage: is to be avoided in all phases; turkey patty is limited, 2 oz

cool whip: light, 2 tbsp

Hopefully, I'll be corrected if I've given any misinformation. I have no idea what the Land O' Lakes Gourmet is?
Traci
Old 03-22-2004, 05:13 PM   #4  

Hi Judee. Welcome to the beach.

Check out the FAQ section for a list of foods that you can eat on Phase 1. This has been revised.

Generally low fat sour cream and cream cheese are okay in very small amounts. Pork chops are fine if you cut off the fat and cook them so the fat in the meat can drip off. Sausages are technically out but I have found two brands that mostly meat are very low in fat and carbohydrates. They make a change from eggs for breakfast.

Sugar free jelly/jello and low-fat plain or vanilla yogurt are also good for deserts. There may be other artificially sweetened deserts around but check the carbohydrate and fat contents. I haven't really experimented with deserts but don't like riccotta much.

The thing I like about SB is that you are changing your eating patterns. I stick with meat, fish, chicken, eggs with salad or vegetables for breakfast, lunch and dinner and snack on nuts, low-fat yogurt, and low-fat cheeses. I drink tons of water and allow myself one coffee first thing in the morning. If I have the urge for something sweet I have a diet soda or herbal tea. I feel really energetic with this eating style because I don't have the tiredness in the mid-late afternoon probably bought about from the drops in blood sugar levels.

Good luck with your weight loss.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:57 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach. Good advice above. Lots of folks don't like the ricotta dessert but on the revised Phase I you can have ff yoghurt.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:59 PM   #6  

Thank you to everyone to has replied. I forgot to ask one question. What about Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom no sugar added bars. They have 4g net carbs. They are vanilla flavored lite ice cream with dark chocolate favored coating. Boy they would be a delicious treat to have one a day.

Judee
Old 03-22-2004, 07:30 PM   #7  
A Lily from my yard!

Hey Tryn2GetThin and welcome to the beach. I have no idea about the bars as I try to stay away from that stuff cause I'm afraid I'll start odin on it! haha I hope you enjoy your stay here and congrats to you and your husband on your loss so far.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome, Judee! My dh and I are doing this together, too. It's a lot easier when you're both eating the same things. As for dessert, try freezing your jello on a popsickle stick, or mix your Cool Whip into it and then freeze it. Also try stirring different flavored extracts into your yogurt. Once you get to Phase II, you can have a baked apple! Yum!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 08:55 PM   #9  

Dr A advised against most of these low-carb bars for some reason but can't remember why. I would suggest staying away from these for the first two weeks (phase one) so that you can beat the sugar cravings. I only added in artificially sweetened deserts after two weeks and was pleased because I am satisfied with a little bit. I wouldn't have trusted myself to stop at a little bit at the beginning.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:59 PM   #10  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Try this for a dessert. It is Fab!
South Beach 'Peanut Butter Cup'
Serves 1
Ingredients
1 no sugar added fudgsicle 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter 1-2 tablespoons light frozen whipped topping or whipping cream
Instructions
Take a no sugar added fudgsicle and scrape it off the stick (microwaving it for about 15 seconds helps). Then add 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter and 1-2 tablespoons of light frozen whipped topping or whipping cream. Mix together and enjoy.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Jennie, that sounds delish! I'm going to try it. I also like to add 1Tb. peanutbutter, 1tsp. peanut butter extract, Splenda, and 1tsp. cocoa powder to my ricotta. I eat it with a baby spoon so I can savor it.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:51 AM   #12  

I think the Peanut Butter Cup thing is for Phase 2. I don't think chocolate was allowed in general on Phase 1. (It's been awhile since I did Phase 1)
Old 03-23-2004, 11:56 AM   #13  

Oops, I checked the FAQ page about Phase 1. Guess you can have up to 75 calories per day. I was thinking that you had to wait until Phase 2 for anything sweet really....... Maybe I should review the Phase 2 rules while I'm at it. Maybe I'm missing out on foods I could be eating, and just don't know about! LOL
Old 03-24-2004, 02:40 PM   #14  

What about avacado?
Closed Thread