South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 10:58 AM   #1  

Default Q about high fat meats

Is it ok if I do eat a high fat meat or will that ruin everything? I am thinking it would be ok *once in while* because he recommends the lean meats not as much for weight loss but better for your heart (less saturated fat). This morning I had 3 of those small sausage links with scrambled eggs and am wondering if that is ok? They did not have any fillers (0 carbs) unlike some. Let me know if I am wrong....

Skinnymini

Last edited by skinnymini; 03-03-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:12 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, SBD says lean meats only so I guess it's really not OK. (However, I have to admit I've had a couple of pieces of bacon in the last month.)
It won't ruin everything but will slow your loss.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:13 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

It's about time someone made a half-decent low-fat/low-carb sausage.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:03 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I think there is a recipe for sausage patties somewhere in here. Hmmm. Or did I PM it to someone?
Old 03-02-2004, 01:56 PM   #5  

Try and find some low-fat, low-fat sausages. I buy two types that are both less than 5% fat and 3% carbo. I often have sausages with tomatoes or mushrooms for breakfast to break the routine of eggs! No point giving you the butcher details as you probably won't want to come all the way to New Zealand to buy them.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:33 PM   #6  

Boca sausages are allowed. These taste pretty good, too. I will cook and crumble one and then scramble with two eggs.

Although SB recommends lean meats only, I do have regular bacon once in awhile. I just eat half a regular serving. So only 1 bacon slice instead of two, or one sausage instead of three.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:22 PM   #7  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Honestly, from the studies I have done in nutrition,I don't think eating high fat meats every now and then slows weight loss at all. 3600 calories= a pound, and higher fat meats usually don't have any more calories or carbs, However, they are not good for your heart. You have to remember this diet was developed for heart health as much as it was for weight loss. Dr A is a cardiologist. I eat reg bacon because I think turkey bacon tastes like cardboard, and dammit if I am gonna be a good girl and eat a big salad for lunch I am gonna allow myself to crumble a piece of bacon on it! However, this is just my opinion, and for what it's worth just remember that "opinions are like (buttholes) every one has got one and they all stink!"
Old 03-03-2004, 05:35 PM   #8  

Jennie, we both may become unpopular, because I do TRY to use only lean meats, but ....... I'm not always perfect. I needed to use up some sausage that I had in the freezer. It got me through the week. Then last night we had a pot roast. I cut off all the fat I could detect, but I know it isn't considered lean. Yes, I want to follow SB because it is heart healthy, but I know even Dr. Agastan would agree that sometimes life gets in the way.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:48 PM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Not unpopular at all, Cassidy. You can do whatever you like. And I agree... we all "move away from the program" at times. It's perfectly normal.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:33 PM   #10  

What do people think about having steak? I cut the fat off but sometimes it ismarbled.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:43 AM   #11  
kpw

I buy lean canadian bacon (ham) and really like it. 1.5 grams of fat per 3 slices, no carbs or sugars. I like sausage, but the ham does me pretty well. I never really liked bacon anyway. I've made my own sausage patties since my Trader joes' sells lean ground pork (95% lean, which I think is pretty good). I highly spice with rubbed sage, cumin, white pepper, salt, paprika and some penzeys spice mixes. It's pretty good, if I do say so myself ;-)

I don't beat myself up to much if I have a fattier cut of meat (like a rib-eye) if I avoid other baddies like bread, fatty sauces and high glycemic foods. It's all about balancing, I think. If I have something like a rib-eye for dinner, I will skip dessert altogether, or forego some other snack during the day...

Last edited by kpw; 03-05-2004 at 01:47 AM.
Closed Thread