South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 11:10 AM   #1  

Default Phase 2 need advice

okay I finished phase 1 now onto phase 2 but I am confused.

I can introduce carbs health ones back in but what to look for?
how many carbs can I have a day?

I wanted to buy some yogurt - I couldn't find fat free sugar free-- most of them had about 16grams of carbs in a serving is that good or bad--

samething w/ the whole wheat breadsor any grain breads -- I am afraid of phase 2 and carbs I really am I lost about 7 lbs in 2 weeks I don't want to screw up in phase 2.
this morning I had an oat bran bread 18 carbs for 1 slice- 3 grms sugar and 3 grams fiber-- it was good to have something besides eggs -- but these carbs- someone please explain..
Old 01-16-2004, 06:12 PM   #2  

I'm a week into phase2. I've kept my eye on the GI when choosing what to add back, and I only add one new item a day. I try to keep the new item to less than 55 on the GI scale. You are right though, it is scary adding food back into the diet!
Old 01-17-2004, 08:27 AM   #3  
Captain of MY Destiny!

I wish there were a concrete answer to give you, but there just isn't! I think most of us used the "Trial and Error" method...just experiment with what works for YOU! Try adding in ONE serving of whole grain for a week, then see if your weight loss has continued, for example. If you are still losing weight, try adding another item, like fruit, for another week. As long as you are still losing and adding back in only whole grains and other healthy stuff, you're doing fine. If you notice your weight loss has stalled, you have found out what works for you. Some people can add fruit, others can't. The same can be said of almost anything.

The choices about what to add first will be very personal...for me, I had to have my oatmeal! Some people add back in fruit first, as that is what they miss the most in Phase I.

Cassidy seems to have the right idea...stick with the healthiest choices possible, and go slow! Good luck!
Old 01-17-2004, 09:15 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

April, I'm with Franny... just add things in slowly. The first time I did SBD I added in one serving of whole grain plus a piece of fruit per day. And I still lost 6 pounds the first two weeks of Phase II.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:18 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Once again, Franny has good advice. I goofed when I moved to Phase II by adding too many good carbs per day. I should gave added my beloved grapefruit for a few days before adding my equally beloved whole wheat toast!
It's very easy to look at Phase II and go back to your old eating habits, especially if you have been eating healthy carbs before you arrived at The Beach. Calories DO count as I discovered when I ran some Phase II eating days through www.fitday.com.
Closed Thread