South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 02:27 AM   #1  

Default Heart Palipitations

Anybody experience these since going on a low carb diet? For the past week, I have been having these for full days at times. I did do a little research and found that low carb diets can cause the heart to do this. Low potassium I believe it said.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:20 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Happy, someone else mentioned that earlier...
Ruth, did they take a potassium suppliment? I can't remember...
Old 11-07-2003, 06:41 AM   #3  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Arrow

If you are having heart palpitations that remain throughout the day and aren't just a very brief, very rare occurance, please see your physician. Karla
Old 11-07-2003, 11:02 AM   #4  
Work in Progress

Yes, see your doctor, it probably is potassium, but you should have a workup to make sure that there isn't anything else going on.....

rb
Old 11-07-2003, 11:29 PM   #5  
Fighter

I have had those for a long time, not every day, but every once in a while it'll happen. I told my mom and she was like, "Oh, everyone gets those". Then she finds out that she has a heart arrhythmia, and my grandma (her mom) has heart palpitations too and got it checked out, and she has the arrhythmia too, so chances are that's what mine are from. But if yours just started, it is probably more lifestyle than genes. Still, I'd get it checked out if it continues. :-D
Old 11-08-2003, 11:29 AM   #6  

Hi. Thanks for you replies.

In July, I ended up in the emergency room with a rapid heartbeat. This had been going on for awhile, but nobody seemed able to catch it doing it. On this day, they did. I had to spend 3 days in the hospital, and started on a med - Sotolol for
Atrial Fibrillation.

I have been doing pretty good on this med, with only one day weeks ago, of palipitations. However, since I started on the SBD, after the first two days of Phase 1, my heart started doing Palipitations and has continued. Not just for a few minutes, but for the whole day. If I lay down, it seems better.

I eat lost of Potassium rich foods, so I don't really understand why it is doing this. It does seem to be food related however. I started adding a few carbs yesterday, some bread and a banana, and it stopped. I will watch it, and if it continues I will see my Dr. on Monday.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:37 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Maybe you should see him Monday anyhow whether it stops or not. Just to be sure. We worry about you!
Old 11-08-2003, 01:03 PM   #8  
Imagine...

Yes please see your Dr. as Ruth said "just to be sure"
Old 11-08-2003, 07:08 PM   #9  

Just a thought... this happens to me if I cut too much fat from my diet.. are you eating some fat? I would probably see my doctor anyway just in case..

Jenny
Old 11-08-2003, 07:15 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

Yep- go see your Doctor. My Dad has been A-Fib for 20 years or so. I wouldn't ignore any new things. Are you on a blood thinner?
Old 11-08-2003, 07:23 PM   #11  

I am taking Sotolol to correct the Arrythmia and an asprin a day for blood thinner. I will go see my Dr. next week. I might have been cutting too much fat from this diet. That might be the difference. On Atkins I had no problem at all. Thanks for that tip.
Closed Thread