South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 12:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

Question Question about protein shakes?

Do any of you drink protein shakes? If so, what kind do you recommend? I bought a sample of Spirutein today but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2003, 01:22 AM   #2  
Captain of MY Destiny!

I have tried a couple of different kinds of protein drinks but only because of an othodontic appliance that makes it impossible to chew! Atkins is AWFUL! I tried another brand that is "low carb, sugarfree" and while better than Atkins it is a long way from tasty. These are perfect examples of what we love to call "frankenfoods!" You know, the super processed food that bears little to no resemblence to REAL food?!

I gave up on the protein drink idea and started making smoothies with yogurt, tofu and fruit. They taste MUCH better and are all natural. Between that, some chicken or tuna salad, and a serving of peanut butter stirred into some oatmeal I figure I'm getting enough protein. Plus, those drinks are WAY expensive!

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2003, 05:22 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I totally agree with Frannymae. I make a protein shake with protein powder, Splenda, egg and Crystal Lite or SF Jello powder. It's tasty and filling enough and you know what's in it! When you hit Phase II, you could add berries.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:48 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Ditto on the canned drinks. I buy chocolate protein powder, and make it with some cottage cheese, ice and a little skim milk (was cream on Atkins). Much better!

BTW, I was reading a chat transcript with Dr A and he doesn't like shakes or meal replacements of any kind and doesn't recommend them for the diet. He doesn't think they promote good eating habits.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:43 AM   #5  
Work in Progress

I use Keto Shakes, but I use them because regular vitmains upset my stomach, I take it for the nuturtional content, I use it as a snack and not a meal replacement.
Closed Thread