South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 06:23 AM   #1  

Default I need a little help please

I spent the entire day gathering info on this diet so I won't have to spend any more money but I still have a couple questions. 1. Out of the phase 1 list of foods can I eat three meals per day and two snacks as long as they are listed there. 2. Is there any portion size when it comes to the veggies or salad and dressings? I have seen different journals of other dieters and it looks as though there are limitations. I'd greatly appreciate any info anyone would be so kind as to provide. I'm not cheap I just can't afford the book because I am unemployed and with xmas coming all my money is tied up. Thanks in advance.
M.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:41 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Oncemore, have you started the diet yet? If not, you'll probably notice something strange after about the first week. You're not that hungry. So you won't NEED to eat extra stuff.
There's no limit to the "safe" veggies. As for dressings, I would take it easy. I DID have two snacks per day if I felt I needed them, and I still lost weight. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2003, 10:45 AM   #3  

Ellis,
Thank you so much for that info. No I haven't started yet, I have been doing my homework so to speak, trying to find out what I am allowed with and what I'm not. I did come across the list of foods to avoid and foods that are okay. I have twp more questions, are you allowed any fats in phase 1 and can you tell me what would be okay for snacks or dessert. I thank you for your time in answering my questions, truly appreciated.
Best of luck to you too.
M
Old 10-23-2003, 10:53 AM   #4  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Hi Oncemore!! YES, you are allowed fats in phase 1. Try to keep it to the salad dressing, and to healthy fats. The book suggests using spray fat to cook, and olive oil and vinegar for salad. Most of the snacks in phase 1 involve low fat cheese. A wedge of low fat Laughing Cow cheese spread on celery, or a piece of stick cheese. You could also have 30 pistachios (Be CAREFUL with nuts, many of us here have had problems with portion control!!!) Dessert: No-sugar jello is allowed, and low-fat ricotta desserts. (Recipes are in the book. but basically: 1/2 cup ricotta, a packet of Splenda, and flavoring....vanilla, almond or lemon extract, cocoa powder, cinnamon, go crazy!!!)
Old 10-23-2003, 10:55 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Golly, oncemore, better check out the Phase I food list in the Frequently Asked Questions Section. You are definitely allowed fats and should eat them. (Your body needs fat in order to absorb the nutrients in your food.)

Yes, you can have three meals and two snacks. Snacks can be selected from any of the categories. I like celery with cream cheese or egg salad on it. Roasted chick peas are nice and pistachio nuts are just too darn nice!

Desserts are a bit of a problem. You can make the ricotta creme (see the Recipe sections) or have sugar free Jello.

And a big WELCOME to the Beach. This is a fun place. It's nice to see someone from beautiful Nova Scotia.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:37 AM   #6  

Ellis & Ruth,
Thanks so much for the very helpful info and your warm welcomes, truly appreciated. Ruth, your are right NS is beautiful and I wouldn't move for all the weight loss in the world, now that should tell you how much I love it here ha?
M.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:56 AM   #7  
GARDENING ADDICT

M~~Don't forget about turkey roll ups (sliced turkey breast rolled up on a leaf of boston lettuce). I like to spread some hummus or spicey mustard on the lettuce, also. Hard boiled eggs are good snacks too, along with some sliced red bell peppers and hummus dip. Ruth's recipe for roasted chickpeas is to die for. In fact, I think that I'll roast some today (to snack on tonight while watching Survivor).
Old 10-23-2003, 12:19 PM   #8  

That sounds SO cozy, Sil. I'll be over at... what ...? 8? We don't watch TV, but I've "accidentally" seen Survivor twice, and it looks addictive.

Oncemore, Nova Scotia is our favourite place. We drive out every few years for our "ocean fix".
Old 10-23-2003, 12:39 PM   #9  

Hi Sil,
I have never tried chicpeas but if you tell me where to find the recipe I'll give it a try afterall Survivor night just wouldn't be the same without something to snack on, bad habit I know!!!!!
RuthXXX,
I finally seen the beautiful Cabot Trail for the first time last fall, it was breath taking. It is so amazing how we live in a beautiful province all our (my) life and not take advantage of the scenery. I am off to Toronto for a couple days the first week of Nov. to take in some on that city, can't wait.
Mary
Old 10-23-2003, 01:55 PM   #10  

Mary, we got half way up the Cabot Trail (with Mom and Dad when we were kids) and Dad had to turn around and go back down because we were all puking.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:45 PM   #11  
GARDENING ADDICT

Ellis~~Come on over. I'll save you a seat and some chickpeas...but I've already stated snacking on them

DH will be in bed by then and we will have the basement to ourselves and we can stay up late and gossip in between our hot flashes

M~~The roasted chickpea recipe is found under the Fat Chicks on the Beach :Recipe section of the main page. You can use whatever spices that you are in the mood for~be creative and enjoy
Old 10-23-2003, 08:45 PM   #12  
Member Florida Chick

The roasted chick peas are really good. Just one warning watch them carefully as they are close to being done. My last batch turned into little brown bullets, because I forgot to check them
Welcome, and this is a good place for all sorts of info.
Nova Scotia is a beautiful place. We took a driving tour of NS several years ago. I think they called it the lighthouse tour. You certainly do have high and low tides. I remember we went to the oldest county fair. Windsor, I think. Lots of great horses, and the biggest squash I have ever seen. around 500 lbs.

Back to SB - use olive oil and spray in your cooking. He wants us to used the healthy fats, not the saturated fats. And no trans fats. If you check all the food lists, and recipes on this site you get great information. Lizzie
Closed Thread