South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 01:55 AM   #1  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Default Boot Camp Challenge Day 28-Giving the Boot to Saboteurs!

Good morning, troops! So now that we know when to be watching for our saboteurs, what do we do once we find them? How can we send the yellow bellied traitors packing?

It depends on the circumstances and what works on YOUR saboteur!

I refuse to buy junk at the grocery store. Period. End of sentence. Now, my DH will buy junk for the kid or for himself, so it is sometimes in the house. I have been known to ask him to hide a particular item if my saboteur is whispering "just one little cookie won't hurt!" And as Sue said, NEVER go shopping when you are hungry...you know you're at your weakest then!

Redefine "special occasion!" I think birthdays, anniversarys, and major holidays would make the cut. But you have to watchful that your saboteur doesn't goad you into going completely bonkers even if it IS a special occasion!

If you are out with friends who are eating a plateful of something that isn't in your best interest, don't feel jealous! You tell your saboteur that YOUR FRIENDS are the ones who are missing out in the long run! Poor things...they only THINK they are enjoying that junk...but you, on the other hand, KNOW that what you are eating is a healthy, nutritious choice that your body will thank you for!

If your friend or family member prepared a special dish "just for you," your saboteur will tell you how hurt their feelings will be if you don't have some. So, you have a couple of choices. Lie, and say you just haven't been able to eat such and such lately as it doesn't agree with you (not really a lie, when you think about it!) Or say you just don't have room for any, could you take some home? Then promptly feed it to the dog...or better yet, the compost heap! Or you could even just explain that you have a new WOE that unfortunately doesn't include Aunt Martha's double double fudge marshmallow nut cake, and you know she'll understand.

So a couple of bites won't hurt, huh? Well, that may well be true if your saboteur only uses that ploy once a week or less! The 3 bite rule is great...as long as you aren't using it every single day! So think about the big picture. Don't deprive yourself, but being indulgent won't work, either.

Saboteur telling you to just go ahead and skip yet another workout? Listen to him and you may find yourself on that slippery slope to inactivity! So don't skip it! Shorten it if time is a problem, but so something...don't let a day off turn into a string of days off.

Sharon had a great solution, too. Abstinence. If there is something you just can't have a couple of, then maybe you had better have none. Nuts seem to bring out the saboteur in a lot of you guys! I exclude myself only because I can't eat nuts w/braces on so I am spared that particular problem with my saboteur.

Group Activity for the Week of 9/21-887 minutes!
WOW! The numbers are already getting up there! WTG!

Sharon-that class sounds really cool! I like the idea of a class that covers a bit of everything. Hope your knee held up well!

Ellis-okay, is your bean facial like spreading bean dip on your face? Sounds, um...tasty! I didn't see your yoga from Monday but it is added in now!

Sue-just jump right in, no joining required. We are always looking for a few good recruits!

Kathy-girl, you are the exercise queen! I was going to caution you against getting burnt out, but is sounds like you have been working out for a long time so you know your limits! I have been looking for a BEGINNER yoga tape too! I got one from the libary...but it started with "do the such and such pose!" I think I need YOGA FOR DUMMIES!

lmaxin-keep up those brisk walks! WTG!

2dog-congrats on breaking the 10,000 mark! I really like the Italian charm bracelets...I got one for my 14 yo DD last Christmas. Let us know when you get your next charm!

Private Lizzie-you're allowed to take the day off on your birthday! That really IS a special occasion! The same goes for eating a bit off plan and even indulging on your surprise sundae! I think the fact that this was a planned deviation from plan makes a world of difference...no saboteur in sight! WTG!

I guess I should report my activity too! Monday I had 90 minutes....45 treadmill, 45 weights. Tuesday I had 35 treadmill and 45 WATP 3 mile tape. Lifting went well on Monday, and I can still type, so that is good!

I posted my "Then" and "Now" pics on the Ladies Who Lift MSN pages. If you want to see them, go to:

http://groups.msn.com/3FCLadiesWhoLift

then click on pictures. This wasn't easy for me to do, but it seemed like the next step to getting fit and strong...deal with where I am coming from. Know what I mean? Plus, I am proud of what I have accomplished so far!

Have a great day, and kick those saboteurs to the curb! And that's an ORDER!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

frannymae, you look INCREDIBLE! I checked out the photos and you are my new inspriation! You really have made quite a journey in such a short period of time... makes me wish I had taken pics before SBD so I could chart my progress. All I know is that in 2 short weeks I have lost a little over 8 pounds and I feel fantastic. To top it all off, last night when I was getting ready to head out for my walk, my husband said to me, "Wow, your profile is looking slimmer already!" Needless to say, I was thrilled! I won't have any serious activity minutes today... I will be running from now until late tonight Promise I will make up for it tomorrow. Have a great day on the beach, everyone!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:55 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Franny, I am stunned. Absolutely stunned. You have done SO well, hon! Thank you for sharing your photos with us.

lmaxin, good for you! And what a sweet DH you have.

Twodog, I grind dried beans in my blender. Navy, black, lima, and ummm... one other... can't remember which one. Then I run them through a fine sieve, and keep the grains in a jar in my bathroom. Pour about a tsp or so into the palm of your hand. Add a little bit of water (or yogurt or cold cream) and mix, and rub it over your WET face. My skin is SO soft after I've used it. I usually use it in the evenings, and I'll use my night cream afterwards.
Everyone I know who's used it loves it. Some don't like the smell, but I like it... it smells earthy and healthy to me. And it's non-toxic.

Nikki, I've washed and creamed two nights in a row, now! Do you think I'm losin' it? How are YOU doing?

I know you girls think that nuts are evil, but if you could have seen me last night snarfing down two small boxes of Bridge Mixture, two boxes of Mackintosh Toffee, and two Eatmore chocolate bars...
Honestly, for me, pistachios are NOT the evil! I'd better pick some up today... can't afford to have another relapse...

Lizzie, so glad you had a good birthday!

Deets, congrats on the exercising!

love and hugs to all...
Old 09-24-2003, 10:16 AM   #4  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Morning, Sarge!

Have to share a NSV with everyone (the saboteur was at work!) Yesterday a brand new Krispy Kreme donut shop opened not too far from our home. My DH had a weak moment and brought home a whole box full of warm ones!!!! When I got back from exercising, he was standing there with the box in his hand. I gotta tell you, it was so hard to say NO!!! But my will won out, and I did not eat even one small bite! I told him to eat what he wanted and give the rest to family and neighbors! Today I feel good about my decision!!

Franny.....I'm walking for 45 minutes today. No time to go to the gym. You are my hero !!! You go girl with those weights! Your pics look super!!!!

Ellis......thanks for the facial "Bean" recipe. My face needs it!
Stay away from the Bridge mix!

Imaxin......Wow! 8 pounds is wonderful! So proud of you!

Have a good day on the Beach everyone! Watch out for that saboteur! ~Sharon
P.S. Franny, my Basic conditioning class was awesome yesterday. Didn't have any problems with my knee!! Yea!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 10:22 AM   #5  

Deets, again, good for you for resisting the donuts!

If you do make the bean scrub... I grind each type of bean individually. And use about equal parts of each. The lima take longer to grind, and you may not be able to grind them completely. Hence the "fine sieve" afterwards. The scrub should have a powdery consistency. You don't want to damage your skin with hard bits of beans!
Old 09-24-2003, 10:28 AM   #6  

Oh my gosh! I forgot to mention... wash the scrub off your face! Don't leave it on! (thanks, Robin )
Old 09-24-2003, 10:41 AM   #7  

Ok Sarge-Franny! I guess I have to face my fears and join up with all you brave soldiers! I officially report for duty! I am prepared to do battle but fear my saboteurs and need some teamwork to get the courage to "send them packing". . .

Where do I begin? I've been reading (and somewhat understanding) what you've been saying. It all makes sense, but how do I internalize this info.??? I need to have this become my Way of Thinking and Acting!!! As soon as I lose 2 lbs., I gain 2 lbs and have been in the same place since June...despite and in spite of all I've eaten and exercised!!! I am so frustrated and don't want to go AWOL!!!

I go to kickboxing 3X per week (45 min of cardio-kickboxing and 15 mins. of stretching and toning (I think that's what it's called when you pull all your muscles... and then do 100 sit ups!) BTW, in the first class I did 6 sit-ups and was proud of 4 of them!

Now I have to take a class for 6 weeks that conflicts with one of the kickboxing classes! And... it's too easy to give up when I can't seem to stay on plan! Yadda, yadda...blah,blah

Anyone? I need -H-E-L-P-!!!
Robin
Old 09-24-2003, 11:00 AM   #8  

Frannymae, good analogy, "saboteur in our midst." Yesterday at work we had a free birthday luncheon; it is SO HARD for me to "eat right" when there's a buffet! However, today is a new day!

Long story short: I have 12 minutes of exercise for today, plan to exercise the next 3 mornings to make up for 3 days of rest

Regarding the WATP tapes: I'm rather coordinated and like a little more challenge with the moves. I'm going to try the 2 mile walk. It's better than some tapes I've tried to use, but I think I would get bored if I did it daily; that's why I'll try the 2 mile and see if it's got more variety. I will acknowledge that I was sweating, though!

Tricia

Last edited by Lavender Fields; 09-24-2003 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:38 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Time is my saboteur. I did work in a 30 minute walk this a,m,. and thought I might have added a few more steps with shopping and around the house stuff but......I appear to have lost my pedometer. I just found it in my undies! It doesn't seem to register in there - must be shocked.
Now that it's rescued, I am off for another 30 minutes!
Old 09-24-2003, 04:14 PM   #10  

Ha, ha! Ruth shocked her pedometer!

Since you rescued it, is it working again?

Tricia
Old 09-24-2003, 10:23 PM   #11  
Member Florida Chick

Good evening all; Just later than usual today. My day started at 4:15 when I couldn't go back to sleep. Finally in desperation I got up and did some things in preparation for our Wed. coffee hour at the clubhouse. Showered and made us breakfast. A nice white Omelette. The Coffee hour. Then Curves for 30 min of exercise and 10 minutes of stretches. Home for lunch, then to the church office where I volunteer one afternoon a week. Home for dinner, back to church to sing in the Praise Team for Wed. service, then to a Search Committee meeting, and finally home. Now it is bed.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll be a better contributor.

Oh and Frannie you are to be commended for your courage, and you have become an inspiration for us all. Your pictures are great, and you have truly walked the talk and talked the walk , as they say.

goodnight all. Lizzie
Old 09-24-2003, 10:34 PM   #12  
In Control: E+R=O

Franny, you are absolutely amazing!! I've said it before, but it never hurts to repeat.....you are an inspiration. Your pictures tell a wonderful story of a beautiful lady who is succeeding in her quest for a healthier self! I applaud you!

Ellis, thanks for the recipe for your bean face scrub! I'm definitely going to have to try that. I find as I get older (shhh, don't tell anyone I'm admitting to getting older) that I want to move more towards natural substances for putting inside as well as on the outside of my body! And Mackintosh Toffee.....Oh My Gosh, now that is heaven in a box!!! I used to stock up (and I mean really stock up) on this fabulous treat whenever I was in Winnipeg....I haven't been there for several years now, and almost forgot about that mouth-watering delicacy. If I wasn't so dedicated to staying OP I would have you send me a couple (few) boxes!!!

Ruth, are your "drawers" getting so baggy that you can lose things in them now??

Hello to everyone else. Congratulations on your losses, and on your great exercise achievements!

Today I was only able to get in a 20 minute walk. Better than nothing, right?
Closed Thread