South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-24-2017, 05:54 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Last Week of April - April 24 to 28

Good morning! Spring is officially here in Delta! Daffodils and forsythia is blazing yellow in my garden and the scillas have carpeted part of the dogyard in blue. Too bad I can't get to them across the flooded yard! "This too shall pass!"

Double-booked again this morning with Quilting Biddies and Mill Board both on for 9:30. Although I am not Treasurer of either organization, I'm still involved and am having a hard time balancing community stuff with personal stuff these days. Already have some event for every weekend into August and still haven't looked at Bruce's calendar. This being "Mrs Reverend" is going to be a challenge but most of the stuff is fun.

Needless to say, eating has not been great although I am managing to hold the line somehow. Veggies are a problem this time of year - I can hardly wait for the asparagus to get here from New Jersey! I raked the leaves off my garden bed yesterday and there was nary a spear!

Time to crank up the week. Have a good one!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Good morning Ruth thanks for starting us off. I think you need a personal assistant lol. Lol NJ asparagus is popular here too. For some reason it is in season earlier than NY and we are neighbors!

Spent the day with DS watched the NBA playoffs and didn't gripe when he went out to get some beer. He wont be having that in basic lol. I believe he is already up as I can hear him. I did manage laundry and weeding yesterday. Today after I take him I am getting a much needed hair cut and color. My hair is way too wild to wear lose. It has a mind of its own! Tonight I have our last meeting before our big bike ride. I know I can stay OP its a Buffett with some good options. I've committed myself (like I do every year before the ride) to really clean eating for the two weeks leading up to the ride. Depending on time I may get a quick ride in or spend a half an hour on the trainer. I do need to get a grocery run in. I should probably make a list!

Tomorrow I wont check in until late tomorrow. The swearing in is between 10 and 2. DS wont know what time his flight is until tonight. I checked the flights from Albany to Atlanta and I believe he will be on the 12:20 flight. It's the only direct flight that gets in before 6pm. He will be bussed the 110 miles to Fort Benning. To say my stomach is in knots is an understatement. DS's calmness is impressive. We are taking his car today to the recruiters. Wish me luck this will be the furthest I've driven it since he got it lol. I am a little rusty with driving a standard transmission.

Time for one more cup of coffee before the day unfolds. Enjoy!

Amy I only recently discovered j.jill. I ordered a pair of jeans yesterday lol. I have a white pair which I LOVE. I have a really hard time with pants. Maybe its me but I like my pants to be above my hip bone! I need the higher rise /waist to help keep my tummy contained. I am a very simple, plain dresser. I wish I could get out of my own way and try some bold prints, but its just not me.

Last edited by jekel383; 04-24-2017 at 06:53 AM.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning,

Today is wfh for me, got my walk in and have several conference calls but nothing on the agenda for this evening. Made it through first day op, now on to second day, already feeling better since not eating junk food. Yesterday had an emotional talk with my BFF, she was finally able to talk about her dad's last couple of months.

Ruth yeah for spring, love seeing flowers this time of the year. Guess for some events you might have to toss a coin to see which one you are going to.

Jekel enjoy your day, I tend to stick to plain clothes as well instead of bold.

Have a great day everyone!
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/214/160

Height: 5'5

Morning everyone!

I had a much needed rest yesterday and I'm ready for the week. DS1 is feeling much better

Not much in the agenda for me today, I have to take DH to airport at 1pm then swim team with DS2 at 4:30pm. This morning I'm going to make a food list and meal plan for the week (I fail to do it yesterday) I might go grocery shopping this evening or tomorrow morning.

Are any of you familiar with the Zone diet? Last night I came across to this website last where they were talking about the Zone diet. The more I read about it the more it seems to me like the SBD. The zone diet if supposed to be an anti-inflammatory and low GI diet. The food list is pretty similar to PH2 of SBD. I believe it was first introduced in the late 1990s. Now a lot of crossfiters use it because it helps them with endurance. It is also great for losing body fat. You are supposed to be in the zone all the time which is 40% carbs from fruit and veggies, 30% from lean protein and 30% from healthy fats. They also work with blocks each block is 7grms of fat 9grms of carbs and 1.5grms of fat. Depending on your body fat and activity levels are the amount of blocks your body should eat per meal. It looks interesting, I might buy the book and learn more about it.

I hope everyone enjoys the day.

Last edited by Muffin; 04-24-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Morning all,

Ruth - glad the nice weather arrived - we got cold again but am happy to be wearing leggings and my boots again!
Jekel - have a nice day. We just visited my nephew who joined the Army in July. He is stationed fairly close to us (2 hours) and it's an experience!
Isa - no, never heard of it but am curious now!

As for me, took DW to the dr. and her blood clot has improved so moving her from blood thinner to baby aspirin. Work today, therapy tonight and hopefully grilling dinner if this rain goes away (or really, even if it doesn't). I *was* down 4 pounds but them my friend the dot came for a visit so I will need to wait until Sunday for my official Ph1 weigh-in. Fingers crossed!

Have a good one all!
Jenn
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 5"

Good evening, chicks.

We finally have spring here too, although it was a bit chilly today. It was back to work for me after a week off; I am glad I was pretty thorough about planning lessons before break started. It was a busy but uneventful day, which is fine with me.

Ruth, my MIL had a carpet of scillas at her house; but I never knew that was the real name until you posted it and made me look it up. lol I have several varieties of daffodils and some grape hyacinths blooming. Hope you figured out how to juggle your time today!

Jennifer, sounds like you and DS had a good weekend together. And I totally agree about pants needing to be above the hip bone. As for simple dressing, I wear dresses to school most days; give me a simple fit and flare style to hide my hips!

Isa, I've heard of the Zone but didn't know much about it. I think the best diet comes down to eating real food mixed with portion control. Of course, that is WAY easier said than done for me.

Pearlrose, it is supposed to rain tomorrow but I am looking forward to some walks outside later this week.

Jenne, I love that meatball casserole too!

Hope everyone has a good night.
Beth19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #7  

Good morning,

Getting ready to head into work today. Woke up about 20 minutes early so that gave me some extra time this morning. Yesterday, DD1 and I went to the lake and walked in the evening, it was nice weather for it. I have nothing on the agenda this evening except studying, test is scheduled for tomorrow and I have lots of nerves going on. Today is day 3 of Phase 1 and feeling great.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 226.6/173.4/154

Height: 5'6"

Good morning!

It continues to rain here. I know about the April showers, I'm just ready for sun and spring.

Muffin - I've heard of the zone, I just never looked into it. What I have come to figure out, is that losing weight is really all about eating fewer calories than you burn. All these diets are all about tips and tricks to feel fuller and get healthier while eating less. Now what exactly is the healthiest is up for debate. It's also about making the best choice for your body. You can't possibly eat everything on the suggested list of healthiest foods, and there is too much of a good thing. Take avocados and coconut oil for example. I believe it's also proven more protein and higher fiber makes you feel fuller longer. Processed foods are unhealthy for you. I don't think I can handle something super complicated. South Beach just makes sense and is easy. However, clearly I have had portion control issues and I didn't know what a serving was. So I count calories, and I measure. Half a cup of rice can creep up to a cup, 5 oz of chicken can easily turn into 7, etc.

I also don't think you can really be successful losing weight without exercise, lots and lots of activity.

Speaking of which, hubby bought me a life fitness indoor cycle. Holy canoli, that thing kicked my butt yesterday! But my fitbit wasn't saying I was burning any calories! I only made it 15 minutes. I was taking a class on peloton and their numbers didn't match my bike - I was looking at her thinking there is no way you're at that level pedaling that easy, when it's one of the highest levels on my bike - and this is a beginner class. So I need to figure this thing out. I want to have a wide variety of things I do, I just had no idea switching from walking/running to biking would be so extreme! Yowza you really can get your body used to one kind of exercise!
msgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/214/160

Height: 5'5

Good morning! today I have a pelvic ultrasound. The last few years I been battling with my hormones and in my ladies appointment last week I mentioned to the doctor. He is checking my hormones levels and wants to perform some other tests. He thinks I could also have PCOS and that is could be why I keep gaining weight and not losing it easier. I had a thyroid test and everything was high but withing normal range.

msgooch- congrats on your indoor bike and thanks for your input, you are totally right. The way i see it is that we lose weight in the kitchen and the exercise is what help us stay motivated and keep our body toned. The reason I came across the Zone diet was because my doctor suggested to look into anti-inflammatory diets. To me it has the same principles of the SBD PH2 however, their portions seem way higher to what I'm use to eat. I know that of all the diets and changes I have made through the years the only thing that has helped me on loosing weight has been the SBD and it could be because I also keep it a very low carbs and no sugar which those are very inflammatory. I will effeminately stick to SBD but maybe I will keep an eye of my portions since I know in this way of eating sometimes I don't even reach 1000 calories.

Pearlrose- good luck with test tomorrow!
Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

Just checking in before we take off for the music festival in Brockville. Bruce is judging the junior piano competition which is always interesting and cute. I'm sure Twinkle, Twinkle will be the "earworm" for the next three weeks. I really should stay home and do the last two tax returns before the deadline but this should be more fun with a catered lunch for the judges and companions. (I'm not sure if I deserve lunch but I'll try to look as if I know piano more than I actually do. I can read and sing music but gave up playing years ago.)

The Rev. will be here for dinner so my day will be full. There's always tomorrow for taxes and Fair Schoolwork stuff. Right?
Old 04-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #11  

Good evening, chicks. Dreary and rainy today so I came home to exercise inside after work; I will pack my sneakers tomorrow as the next day or two will be increasingly spring-like. The showers are sure greening up the grass! It won't be long before DH will need to tune up the mower and get after it.

The scale was waaaaayyyyy up yesterday after traveling this weekend but I already dropped 1.6 pounds of water with 1 day of OP food. It is amazing how some salt and sugar makes our body hang on to water! (I know, it's a chemistry thing. Think I've mentioned hydrolysis of carbohydrates to my students a few times. ) Anyway, it's good to get back on track and I'm looking forward to another swoosh and maybe losing a pound or two that I re-gained over the winter.

Ruth, hope you enjoyed the piano competition. I think it is good for you to enjoy yourself!

Pearlrose, thinking of you as you take your test!

Amy, I should spend some time trying out equipment at school. I have this idea that I would like a stepper or a bike but don't really know what would be best for me.

Isa, I agree that food is really the key to losing weight; I certainly don't exercise enough to do more than stay toned and improve my overall health. And I don't have any problem eating enough calories but I think that is because I have spent the last 30 years living with athletic men who eat a ton! For me the long-term maintenance is the struggle. Like Amy said, it is easy for portions to creep up, the "occasional" wine to become everyday, etc. I am working on finding balance.

Jennifer, to you today!

Have a good evening, chicks.

Last edited by Beth19; 04-25-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 226.6/173.4/154

Height: 5'6"

Good morning! I'm up bright and early today. I long for the days when I could sleep until 10, 11 or noon.

Major announcement here: I am no longer obese! I am now just overweight!! Woohoo!! A LONG time coming. Now of course I feel no different than yesterday, and I know the bmi charts aren't the be all end all, just something to be a guide.

Muffin - I couldn't do 1000 calories a day. If that's my fate I'll just stay fat - lol The reason I started with the oatmeal and blueberries was the anti-inflammatory effects. I don't know if eating half a cup of berries is enough, but since losing weight my shoulder is much better. I had some major surgery a year and a half ago and the recovery has been slower than I want. I'm also convinced that a lot of heart disease is inflammation.

Beth - my body hangs onto salt! I can just taste something really salty and I know I'm going to gain weight the next day.

Jenne - good luck on the weigh in! So exciting to see the scale move at first! Who am I kidding, it's exciting every time!
msgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 AM   #13  

Good morning chicks and happy Peak of the Week!

The rain is supposed to be moving out today so I will take my sneakers to work and walk before I come home. Did I say I love spring? lol Other than that, hopefully an uneventful day of work. I need to get one or two things at the grocery store on my way home; I am making stir fry tonight. Over my break I went through the cupboards and checked expiration dates on everything so that is driving my cooking. I found a NS hoisin sauce that I want to use up.

Amy, yea for you!! Every move toward lower weight and better health is a celebration.

I've got to run. Check in later!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

Good morning from misty Delta. We will be springlike for the rest of the week too after a day of showers.

Weight is stuck - too many social events - but now that it's Spring, I will try for more walking,particularly down for the mail. Jazz walks well on the lead (he is show-trained) but Millie is a complete idiot. The first official training class we attended ended with"Millie and Ruth need a time out!"

We both really enjoyed the Music Festival afternoon. I saw another side of my man as he so very gently evaluated and corrected flaws in the piano playing of the junior kids.

Pearlrose, I too hope the test went really well. Beth, glad the scale blip is disappearing and I agree with Amy that wine can become an everyday occurrence.

Gotta jet - Seniors meeting at noon (more food) and I am stuck in the role of Secretary while someone is ill. At least it's not Treasurer! Tonight I have a Fair Board meeting where this year's schoolwork competition will be discussed. This will be my last year doing this, for sure - in fact I may even get off the Board. (Promises! Promises!) I intend to work at being a married lady instead of a professional volunteer!

Happy Choose Day when we can be aware of what we put into our bodies.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #15  

Good morning,

Woke up about 20 minutes early again, went for a 3 mile walk this morning outside, it was nice. WFH day for me, taking my test at 10 a.m. so please send good thoughts at that time. Today is laundry day and DD2 has art this evening. Day 4 of op eating, easing into Phase 1.5 today.

Isla you might try using a tracking app for food, I use free LoseIt, I think if I stayed at 1000 calories my body would go into starvation mode and I would stop losing weight. What worked for me was just sticking to real food and avoiding anything processed, portion control, drinking a lot of water, giving up diet soda and I actually went from interval running to walking since it was kinder to my joints. You will have to find what works for you

Beth so nice to get walks in this time of the year

Ruth I think that is a great idea to move to married lady instead of professional volunteer!!

Jekel you should be proud!

Debbie hope you are doing good.

Amy whewhoo that is a big stepping stone!

Last edited by Pearlrose; 04-26-2017 at 08:30 AM.