South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 10:57 AM   #1  

Default Exercise b4 or after brkfast

I've heard so much about this, SO - Is it more effective to exercise on an empty stomach, or not?
Or does it depend on the type?
The mornings I do pilates I have no problem, when I do tae -bo sometimes I feel as if I'm dragging myself threw it, and thats not good b/c I know I'm not giving my all ...
When I do a full body areobic I'm ok, for a bit, then - instant drainage -- When I use my stepper, or eliptiacal glider, I'm Ok as well, b/c I'm usually more motivated b/c I watch the calories burned

So - Is it more effective to exercise on an empty stomach or not?

Oh yeah, I usually get up in the mornings around 5-530, however, I usually exercise in between 615 - 630 am --

ANY suggestions would be great,
Thanks again
Kirsten
Old 08-31-2003, 01:37 PM   #2  

Kissten:

I ALWAYS exercise on an empty stomach ... don't really whether it's more effective though ... if I eat before I exercise I end up feeling sick.

I think the theory behind exercising on an empty stomach is that there are no carbs to burn ... fat only(???)

Either way as long as your exercising it's a good thing ...
Old 08-31-2003, 02:34 PM   #3  
Mous

I personally exercise BEFORE I eat.

Lady
Old 08-31-2003, 06:20 PM   #4  
Captain of MY Destiny!

There is a lot of debate about this issue. I think it depends on several factors: what you are eating, what kind of exercise you are doing, the duration of exercise, the time between eating and exercise...and your body! I found this link which explains a lot of this stuff better than I can:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_doct...exercise.shtml

You may just have to experiment to see what works for you!
Old 08-31-2003, 09:44 PM   #5  
Enthusiasm is contagious

I personally like to have just a bit of breakfast before I leave to exercise for an hour. Then when I return, I eat the remainder. I feel like I have something to "go" on, or some fuel, to speak, with a bit of protein.

I know that we are all different, and this doesn't work for everyone. But since I began SBD, I usually have a hard boiled egg before leaving for the health club in the AM. This works for me. When I return, it's around 10:00, and I have the rest of my breakfast...usually something light.

As I said before, we're all different. Frannymae hit it on the head when she told us that the real important thing was that we were making the effort to exercise. Exercise ranks right up there with what kind of foods we put into our bodies. Just keep movin'.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:27 AM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Deets, I do the same as you. I usually work out at the gym in the mornings, so I'll have an egg before I go and then something later. Nothing worse than exercising on a bowl of porridge with raisins.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:24 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I need to eat something or my BGL zeroes out. Even a piece or two of Laughing Cow Cheese will sustain me. I am soooooo sick of eggs!
Old 09-01-2003, 08:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/172/125

Height: 4'9"

I usually exercise before breakfast. I get up an hr. earlier and do my video tapes.

Then when I get to work I walk around campus for about 20 minutes before I start my work day.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:47 AM   #9  
cranky & determined

Hi thee,

Good question... I'm generallly up at 5, walk the dog, have a cup of coffee and then go to the gym... BUT, when I'm taking a Pilates mat or a Yoga class, I take NOTHING in - there's just too much sucking in your gut type stuff involved (ok, they don't call it that) to have anything at all in my stomach.

This morning I had coffee and then went to exercise - by the time I was done though, I felt really sick - I think it's b/c it's a holiday and thhe gym opened later so my schedule was a bit off.

I'm having some V-8 now and feel both virtuous AND better!
Closed Thread