3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   What breads/cereal are okay to add in Phase 1? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/30856-what-breads-cereal-okay-add-phase-1-a.html)

agb1 08-20-2003 08:19 PM

What breads/cereal are okay to add in Phase 1?

I ordered my book from buy.com and am waiting to receive it. What brand of whole grain breads and cereals are okay to have in Phase 2? Sometimes labels are confusing so I want to make sure I pick the right one.

frannymae 08-21-2003 01:43 AM

This is for phase 2, right? Just checking 'cuz the title says one thing, but your post says another!

I'm not sure of any BRAND of whole grain bread...from what I understand you have to find a bakery and not buy from the grocery store? Most bread at the store, while it may say WHOLE WHEAT, it is NOT whole GRAIN.

Cereal is a bit easier, as there are several WHOLE GRAIN cereals available. I know one mentioned in the book is UNCLE SAMS. Oatmeal is another great choice, but just not the instant kind!

agb1 08-21-2003 05:55 AM

Thanks for the info! Yes, I did mean Phase 2.

twodogmom 08-21-2003 06:33 AM

I'd never heard of Uncle Sam's cereal before starting SBD, but I bought some last week to try. I haven't eaten it with milk as a breakfast yet, but I have eaten it in yogurt a couple of times, and it's actually pretty good.

sflake 08-21-2003 07:38 AM

I think kashi cereal would be ok, not sure how it tastes as I have not tried it yet.

Paradise23 08-21-2003 11:15 AM

Is Khasi Good Friends OK on Phase 2?

I was wondering if you can have a 3/4 cup serving of Khasi Good Friends on Phase 2. This is the info from the package for a 3/4 cup serving:

90 Calories
1 g Total Fat
0 g Saturated Fat
0 mg Cholesterol
70 mg Sodium
120mg Potassium
24 g total Carbs
8 g Dietary Fiber
1 g Soluble Fiber
7 g Insoluble Fiber
6g sugars
3g Protein

abfabgirl 08-21-2003 11:20 AM

I was wondering about this, too, because when I read the ingredients it mentioned corn syrup and some form of sugar (can't remember which one). I assumed this wasn't okay, but does anyone know for sure? I really like Kashi, and it's loaded with fiber.

sflake 08-21-2003 11:29 AM

I would think that the puffed kashi is ok here are the INGREDIENTS:
Whole hard red winter wheat, whole long grain brown rice, whole oats, whole barley, whole triticale, whole rye, whole buckwheat, sesame seeds.

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size 1 cup (19g)
Serving Per Container: About 11
Calories 70
Calories From Fat 5

*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Amount/Serving %DV* Amount/Serving %DV*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Fat 0.5g 1% Total Carb 15g 5%
Saturated Fat 0g 0% Dietary Fiber 1g 5%
Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sugars 0g
Sodium 0mg 0% Protein 2g

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%

Anyone know for sure as I really miss cereal.

Lizziepie 08-21-2003 02:45 PM

I found some whole grain bread, a heavy German style bread, in one of our grocery stores. Rubschlager Pumpernickle. It is thin sliced. There is also a wheat berry, and an oat one. Also on the south Beach daily tip I was getting in my email, Pepperidge Farm Oat Bran and 9 Grain whole grain breads were mentioned as acceptable. I really like the Uncle Sam, and I think any of the Kashi cereal without sugar would be okay. Try the Oaatmeal pancake recipe in the book when you are on Phase 2. i rather liked it for a change. Ann

Summergirl10 08-21-2003 02:50 PM

Is there a rule for bread? Like a certain amount of carbs or sugar per slice?

Dove25 08-21-2003 02:58 PM

I try to stay away from anything that lists corn syrup, sugar, or any form of it,but we don't have to check carbs on bread.
Julie

Summergirl10 08-21-2003 04:05 PM

Julie,

What are the kinds of sugar ingredients I should I be looking for that I should stay away from? I know they have different names for sugar.

Heidi

Ruthxxx 08-21-2003 05:01 PM

Anything that ends is "ose" is a sugar - e.g., fructose, glucose, sucrose, etc. There are also sugar alcohols that end in -ol. It's very confusing so I try to stick to foods that are simply processed and avoid anything with an ingedient I can't pronounce!

janesays 08-21-2003 08:01 PM

does anyone know if puffed wheat is ok? I love cold cereal too...

Lizziepie 08-21-2003 11:09 PM

In the food list for Phase 2 he lists bran cereals, and Uncle Sam, but also says other high fiber cereal. I think the higher the fiber, the more it cancels out the carbs, even 6 grams of sugar. I might be wrong, for sure. I know there is one Kashi that has 10 gr. of fiber. Ann