3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Food quantities on South Beach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/30729-food-quantities-south-beach.html)

Paradise23 08-17-2003 03:24 PM

Food quantities on South Beach

I would like to try the South Beach Diet, and I have checked out the Prevention web site to gather some information, in addition to checking out these boards. I can't seem to find any specific information on the quantities of food allowed. If I eat peanut butter...how much can I have for one serving. If I eat steak, how many ounces should it be? Is there a web site or something that I can get specifics on South Beach allowed foods and appropriate quantities? Any help is greatly appreciated.

annielaurie48 08-17-2003 03:39 PM

I just started the South Beach diet. The book is probably your best source for information about all the foods you can eat and the quantities. Also, it explains the reasoning behind the diet, meal plans, recipes and a lot of other useful information. They do have a web site but to get the information you want you have to join up for a price and it would cost more to join the web site "club" than to just buy the book. They have the book at Sam's club or try a local bookstore to see if there is a discount on it. I bought mine for $14.99 at a local bookstore or try a bookselling web site also for discount pricing. Good luck on the diet.

Ruthxxx 08-17-2003 05:24 PM

Well, peanut butter is 1 teaspoon for serving! That's hardly worth dirtying your mouth with as my Dad used to say. :lol:
Your best bet is to invest in the book. I have every diet book ever written but the SBD book is by far the best. Looking at the "Serves 2" (or 4) numbers will help you figure quantity per serving. However, during Phase I, be sure to eat enough to satisfy your hunger. (See Guinevere's post re First Week Observations.)

LADY WINDSONG 08-18-2003 06:55 AM

I found my book at www.buy.com for $12.72.

Eat till full, but don't overdo.

Use the 3 bite rule for things that you "have" to have but know you shouldn't and if you need to, leave a bite or two on the plate.

www.fitday.com, www.DailyDiary.com AND here have wonderful journal and charts to help you along this WOE.

Lady :flame:

2BFIT1 08-18-2003 01:57 PM

There are no restrictive sizes of portions for meat, chicken, fish or veggies. Nuts (including PB) are portioned due to their higher fat content. Check out the book :yes:

Paradise23 08-18-2003 05:20 PM

Thanks everyone for all your information. I just started the South Beach Diet this morning. I ordered the book today at buy.com per Lady Windsong's info. Thanks! I paid $13.47 and shipping is free. The only problem is that it can take 2 to 3 weeks to receive the book, and I would love to know what I can eat to stay on the program beween now and when the book arrives. I would like to mention that I had started on Atkins and found it too restrictive, and didn't like all the allowable fats. I did lose 12 pounds in 9 weeks on Atkins, but now I want to switch to the South Beach. I can manage with meat, fish, chicken, etc. and vegetables and salads (cutting out all typical carbs like rice, potato, bread, etc.) but I need help with fruit. How much cantaloupe, cherries, watermellon, peaches, etc. can you eat in a given day? I like to have a few fruits daily. One of my other very very favorites is microwave popcorn (97% fat free). How much of that can I eat? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I feel "stuck" trying to follow an eating plan without the specifics. Can I get some help till my book arrives! Thank you!

Ruthxxx 08-18-2003 05:25 PM

Welcome to The Beach! Lots of info, support and fun here!

There is no fruit or popcorn allowed on Phase I of the plan. After two weeks, you can add carbs slowly to see if you can continue to lose.

Somewhere in here is a list of SBD allowable foods. I'll try to find it for you.

Ruthxxx 08-18-2003 05:57 PM

There ya go, Paradise23. Look in the two posts at the top of this forum for your info.

Paradise23 08-18-2003 08:09 PM

Thank you soooo much for the food list information. Now I have something to go by until my South Beach book arrives. You guys are the best!