South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 09:12 PM   #1  

Default South Beach/Atkins?

I was on WW a while ago, stopped losing and went to Atkins. I couldn't lose any more ( and believe me, I have a LOT to lose) but I felt better: more energy, etc. Have sort of fallen off and can't decide what to use to get back on.
From what I read, I thought it might be blood pressure medication and anti depressants that were making me stop losing. I don't know how the SB is about that.
I've talked to people who've had great success on SB and I'm curious but I worry about missing the cheese and butter and cream now.
Also, I've grown to love flax pancakes and I don't know how flax meal fits on the SB.
You're probably thinking I should just stay on Atkins but I'm thinking a change would be nice. Any HELPful thoughts?
Please?
Old 08-15-2003, 01:30 AM   #2  
Captain of MY Destiny!

I don't know HELPful this will be, but I'll give it a shot:

Picking a diet or an eating plan is a very personal choice. I do feel that if you are looking for a way of eating that is healthy and that you can maintain FOR LIFE, you can't go wrong with SBD. I personally could never do Atkins because of all the butter and cream! I just know you can't eat like that forever without health consequences!

Most folks I have talked to seem pretty satisfied with the food choices, even on Phase 1, which is the most restrictive. I'm sure there is someone here who can speak to your concerns about the foods you might miss! I don't have my book with me right now, so I'm not sure about flax?

I don't know if your medications are making weight loss more difficult or not. You might have to ask your doctor about that. I do believe that exercise has kept me from having to go back on antidepressants for the last few years, plus made losing weight possible.

If you haven't already, check out the Prevention website, as it has a lot of info about SBD. Maybe that will help you make an informed decision! Good luck!
Old 08-15-2003, 06:40 AM   #3  
In Control: E+R=O

Hi mschent,

Franny gave you some excellent advice. Diets (or Way of Life....I don't use the word diet anymore) are a very personal choice, and what works for some may not work for all.

I'd like to share my experience with the Atkins diet....remember this is my personal experience and not everyone would have the same outcome that I did.

I started Atkins a few months ago. I felt so good!! More energy, more vitality, etc. I lost 22 pounds in about 5 weeks. Then I went to my doctor, and she did some blood tests. It turns out that my total and LDL ("bad") cholesterol had both increased significantly over what they had been a year ago. My Potassium and Calcium (two very important elements) were low, even with taking a good suppliment. And my kidneys were working overtime, which was evidenced by an elevated creatinine clearance test. She told me to get off the Atkins diet. I'm just glad that I saw here when I did, and not months later when more possibly permanent damage was done. Now, having said all that, I know some people who saw their blood lipids (cholesterol and triglycerides) go down on Atkins, so not everyone reacts the same way I did.

I've done a lot of reading and research, and am absolutely convinced that SBD is a very healthy way of life, especially for someone like me (insulin resistant, seriously addicted to carbohydrates, and overweight). I saw my doctor again this week, and she agrees.....

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!! If you decide to give SBD a chance, stick around here for support and friendship, this is a great place to be!
Old 08-17-2003, 05:28 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally posted by frannymae
I personally could never do Atkins because of all the butter and cream!
Since butter and cream is not required you should have no problem doing Atkins.

Quote:
I just know you can't eat like that forever without health consequences!
How do you explain the French? Before the introduction of Fast Food, they ate a diet rich in butter and cream but a low rate of heart disease?

Understand I am not saying that everyone can eat like that and not have problems. Our bodies do not react the same to the foods that we eat. I spent three years in Asia where they eat rice three times a day. I saw a lot of slim people. But I can not eat that much rice and maintain weight.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:40 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Mschent, when and if you decide, you are welcome to join us on the Beach. Everyone has to find their own plan.

Atkins works for some people but not for everybody - ask me how I know! There are lots of folks on that plan who are doing very well. Many of them post in the Low Carb Section of this LC Lifestyles Forum. This 3FC website is about support, whatever healthy plan we chose.
Closed Thread