3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Disappointed at the end of Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/30635-disappointed-end-phase-1-a.html)

Sapposcat 08-14-2003 08:17 PM

Disappointed at the end of Phase 1

Hey there SBers. I've been reading this forum when I can since I started SBD two weeks ago--but unfortunately my life is a little too hectic for me to be able to post regularly (demanding job, 20-month old boy-child, 2 hour daily commute, etc.). I love reading your posts when I can, though! :^:

I've been on the SBD for two weeks--phase 1--and I've only lost two pounds. I've walked five days out of that time and I've been sticking to the program pretty well--only a couple of minor flubs. So why is it that I'm seeing such poor progress? Does this only work for certain people? Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?

I really want to get this weight off and I'm seriously considering jumping ship and trying something else, but I really like the SBD because I'm not as hungry as I have been on Weight Watchers in the past.

Can anyone give me any helpful suggestions? Thanks so much for your much-needed advice.

Sappos:df:

hopefuljac 08-14-2003 08:22 PM

Sappos,

I had the same problem. Some of the responses I got were that it sometimes depends on if you have recently been on a dietor whether the weight gain was just as an adult or if you have been battling all your life.

I recently went on vacation and did a lot of walking. I lost more in a week than I did in the 2 weeks prior. I really am now convinced that some type of exercise is needed to really get the weight off, at least for me. Something I am not happy about:mad: as I detest exercise (even though I do admit I feel great when I'm done.)

Best of luck

Suzanne 3FC 08-14-2003 08:48 PM

Hopefuljac, I don't lose any weight unless I exercise. That's just the way my body is, so I have to accept it. I do follow a healthy diet (SBD) to stay healthy, and I feel much better while on this type of plan. But for weight loss, I HAVE to exercise.

Luckily, you get used to it, and will eventually crave it if you don't do it. Honestly :) I particularly love the treadmill, and I wear headphones and listen to good music. It's a great way to unwind, and escape the stress of the day. I have a stand fan that blows on me, so I can walk much longer.

Sapposcat, the same thing may apply to you! Of course every person is different, and what works for one person may not work for another. If SBD doesn't do it for you, then maybe a regular low-fat diet, or Weight Watchers might work. You might need to add in a lot of exercise to get your metabolism going.

Do you keep a food log? It might be helpful to write down everything you eat. Maybe there have been more flubs than there should have. OR, maybe you haven't been eating enough. Eating too little can have the opposite effect on a diet sometimes.

Nikkiloo 08-14-2003 09:34 PM

Have to agree with Suzanne on all counts ... exercise will move the weight much more quickly than diet alone and it does become a habit ... no one wants to deal with me if I miss my morning jog on the treadmill before work so it will lift your mood as well.

Also, you do have to make sure you're eating enough of the right stuff ... good fats ...

I think another thing that might make the weight loss slower is if you were already basically eating well it may not be that much of a change for you to have such a big loss at the start ... I exercise daily and ate fairly well before starting SBD and in a month I'm only down 10-12 lbs ... but I do feel much better with this WOE ...

Give it a few more weeks ... don't get discouraged ...

Kathy

Melissa70 08-14-2003 10:19 PM

I'm so sorry u got such poor results. I just started the diet, so I am still waiting to see what gives for me. So, I have no real good advise.. Will a *HUG* work:grouphug:

I know that starting next Monday, I will be adding some time on my treadmill along with the Diet.

Hang in there. Hopefully what the ladies above said, can help u some.

frannymae 08-15-2003 01:07 AM

Sappos, you have already been given a lot of good advice. I would like to add my two cents worth: How are you feeling? Is your energy level up? (It sounds like you need all the energy you can get!) I wouldn't worry too much about what the scale says at this point. I know how we all love to see the numbers change, but do try and see the bigger picture! My scale has refused to budge lately, but I am working at ignoring the numbers and embracing other changes in how I act, feel, and look.

Please don't give up...this is such a healthy WOE! Good luck!

twodogmom 08-15-2003 06:52 AM

Hi Sapposcat,

You have already received some excellent advice and food for thought, and I agree with everything everyone said.

Keep in mind that South Beach Diet was not initially developed as a weight loss diet, but rather as a healthy way of eating for cardiac patients. It was meant to be followed for a lifetime to keep people's hearts healthy and to help them live longer. Weight loss was just a happy side-effect! :)

Even though some people do drop weight quickly on this eating plan, others don't. That does not mean that they won't, it just may take longer. But while these "slow losers" are waiting for the weight to come off, they are becoming healthier. And also remember, slow weight loss is actually much healthier for you, and weight that is taken off slowly is much more likely to be a permanent loss that weight that is taken off quickly.

I personally have a lot to lose, and have decided that even if it takes me two years to do it, I'm not going to fret about it. This is a new Way of Life for me, and I'm going to stick with it and make myself a healthier person....and the weight loss is a happy secondary benefit.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sapposcat 08-15-2003 06:52 PM

Thank you all for all of your helpful insight and advice. I'm really hoping this one is the right WOL for me, especially because my husband has been following it with me (albeit, not as strickly). Having him doing it makes it all that much easier to stay within the guidelines. I have always done WW's in the past and I needed a change. I am going to stick it out and see how it goes. I'm going to sit down and so a "start, stop, continue" assessment. In other words, what should I start doing that I haven't been, what should I stop doing, and what should I continue doing. I think that'll be helpful. For one thing, caffiene plays a huge part in my diet. I should cut back there and drink a lot more water. I also know that exercise is especially helpful. I went for a walk last night and I felt so good for doing that.

I haven't been doing well with my eating for some time before starting SBD, so that's definitely not it. But I have been doing well at staying within the SBD plan these past two weeks, so that's why I've been somewhat frustrated. I'm going to stick it out, though, and keep refining.

One more question: Since I haven't been seeing much success on Phase 1, do you all think I should stick on Phase 1 for a while, or should I go ahead and try Phase 2?

You all are such a great group--I really admire the way you keep each other going. You are an inspiration to me. Even though I'm not able to post a whole heck of a lot, I just want y'all to know I'm out here rooting for you!

Thanks again,
Sappos

glinda 08-15-2003 08:30 PM

Sappos, it sounds like you are developing a plan. That's always a good first step. I think i read that some people stay on phase 1 for up to 4 weeks. That's what my husband is planning. I have never seen him so enthusiastic about a diet before. Since he has to lose 100 and 80 for me I don't think it would be too bad to stay on phase 1 for an extra 2 weeks. Luck Julie

Guinevere 08-15-2003 11:31 PM

Hi. I am new here so I may be totally off base. But here it goes! Is it possible that you are not eating enough? Our bodies go into starvation mode very easily when put on restricted calorie diets. Our bodies require a certain number of calories just to maintain our basic bodily functions. If you are eating too little, your body will hoard it's fat to prepare you for a long winter, so to speak.

Now, I know that the SBD is not meant to be a low calorie diet. But I find depending on what I eat, it's pretty easy for me to fall below 1000 calories a day. That is definitely low calorie.

If you are not sure, I think Fitday.com lets you calculate the number of calories needed just to function. You may want to keep track for a day and see that you are at least reaching that number. And by the way, if you ARE exercising, your body requires more calories just to function.

It's worth checking, perhaps.

Guinevere 08-15-2003 11:52 PM

Hi again. I just checked Fitday. They don't seem to have the Basal Metabolic calculator I was talking about. I just did a search on Basal Metabolic Rate and lots of options came up. One said that low calorie dieting can lower your BMR by 20%. In other words, you'd need 20% fewer calories to maintain basic functions. If that isn't incentive enough to eat more, I don't know what is!

Sapposcat 08-17-2003 12:05 PM

Glinda and Guinevere: Thanks for the added input. I'm going to graduate slowly to Phase II, count calories for a day, walk more, and keep refining a healthier lifestyle. :)

Good luck to everyone on your continued succcess. I'll be peeking in on you all as often as I can.

Hugs,
Sappos :df: