3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   New to South Beach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/30598-new-south-beach.html)

hippychic 08-14-2003 08:44 AM

New to South Beach

Hi Everyone! I'm going to try this South Beach Diet because I'm addicted to carbs. I hear sooooooo many people that have tried this diet say how much better they feel and how much weight they have lost. How nice it will be to be thin!!! Hope there is someone out there that might give me some tips and a little support! I'm not much of a veggie eater so I'm already worried about the first 2 weeks! Any suggestions will be appreciated!

LADY WINDSONG 08-14-2003 08:59 AM

WELCOME, Hippy

Please stop by the DAILY thread for LOTS of support and tips.

Lady :flame:

Dreamweaver115 08-14-2003 12:49 PM

First tip: The longer you stay away from the bad carbs, the better the veggies will start to taste. I am the voice of experience in this area. Your cravings for sugary carbs will disappear too. BONUS!

Melissa70 08-14-2003 01:18 PM

Welcome Aboard:)
I am 4 days into it, and also a major Carb addict, SO FAR I am doing GREAT!!!

The only tip i can off u is.... Check our Prevention.com . That is a GREAt site with lots of Info onthis diet.

Happy Losing:D

Dotismom 08-14-2003 02:33 PM

Welcome to the Beach Hippychic - I think you just might like this!!
:wave:

QuilterInVA 08-14-2003 03:45 PM

Your body needs veggies - try different ways of preparing them and you'll surely find some you like. Full of fiber, few calories, very filling.

abfabgirl 08-14-2003 04:31 PM

I'm with you... not a huge vegetable fan, to say the least. (Really, really don't like almost all of them, except for the ones that are considered "bad" by the SBD, of course...) You can make it work, though... I've been choking down celery and cucumbers (sometimes in their pickled form to be quite honest), and even though I'm only on Day 4, I've seen more lettuce (romaine, red leaf, and other types with more nutrients than ice berg, and I prefer them, anyway) than I ever thought I would. It isn't impossible without liking vegetables, just a bit monotonous. My rec is to get creative with those that you will eat (and I'm doubting that number is smaller than mine.)

On the other hand, even though I am not eating the variety of vegetables offered in the menus, I am still not craving the sweet and/or salty carbs nearly as much as I thought I would. The nuts and cheeses make for perfectly acceptable snacking alternatives from pretzles or chips or whatever.

frannymae 08-14-2003 06:04 PM

Welcome, Hippychic!

Give yourself a chance to discover new foods and you might be surprised! I now look forward to a salad everynight with supper, which I NEVER did before. It just tastes great!

Prevention.com does have a lot of info about the plan, as does the book. I would recommend borrowing or buying a copy if possible! Good luck!

twodogmom 08-15-2003 07:33 AM

Hi hippychic, and welcome to the beach! :wave: You've come to the right place!

I am the ultimate carb addict, so I hear what you are saying. I've been "on the beach" for almost a month now, and have absolutely NO carb cravings!! It's amazing!

You'll find that your tastes will change after a while. Foods that tasted good to you no longer will hold any appeal, and foods that you didn't like before will start to taste pretty good. This is also a great time to try foods that you haven't eaten before....try some new veggies, or try some new ways of preparing your veggies, you just might be surprised. If you know you don't like a certain veggie cooked (broccoli for instance), try it raw in a salad. Or try combining a couple or a few veggies togther into one dish instead of eating them individually. Or try stir frying (using olive oil) a bunch of veggies with a little chicken or shrimp. You can also get some veggies into your meals by cooking them in scrambled eggs or putting them into an omlette. Use your imagination, and I bet you can come up with some new ways to get those healthy, nutrient rich veggies into your life!

Good luck!!

hippychic 08-15-2003 09:39 AM

Thanks to all who have encouraged me!! Today i rid my cabinets and fridge of all unhealthy foods!! I will be going to the grocery to buy lots of veggies!! I love this place! I guess I always felt like I was in this alone, that I was the only overweight person in the world! Good luck to all!

frannymae 08-15-2003 04:52 PM

You are NEVER alone here! There is always a kind word, a kick in the butt, or a cyber hug for you when you need it!

Take it slow, let your body get used to your new WOE and let us know how you are doing!

hippychic 08-16-2003 09:39 AM

Thanks so much frannymae. I'll need alot of kicks in the butt so get that foot ready!! Have a good day!

Lizziepie 08-16-2003 11:06 AM

Hippychic: You'll love this place. Everyone is so supportive. And I'm sure you'll find ways to fix veggies that will be appealing. I made some ratatouille with egg plant, yellow squash and zucchini, and separately don't really like any of them. but together, with some tomato and baked with some cheese on the top it was very good, and even my DH liked it and he is not on the Beach at all. If you like fresh spinach, wilted it makes a great omelette. Just keep experimenting and you'll be surprised at all the different things you will get to like.

I'm new here too, and have found reading all the posts an inspiration. Now I'm on Phase 2 and things are going slow. But that's all right. I didn't gain it in a few weeks and I know that I need to take my time. The most important part is that I feel great and have lots of energy. Ann

hippychic 08-17-2003 09:19 AM

Hello to all! Tomorrow is my big day. First day of the South Beach diet and a new way of life! I'm excited about this because after all of these years I'm determined that I can do it. It's going to be tuff but I'm sure I have done tougher things in my life!

Lizziepie, I just happened to see you live in Florida. I don't know where Winter Haven is but we went to Panama City Beach in July and it was the first time that my family and I had seen the ocean, it's beautiful! We plan to go back next year.

Good Luck to all!!

twodogmom 08-17-2003 10:11 AM

Good luck hippychic! I'll let you in on something......if I can do this, anyone can!!! :lol: I am confident that once you get started, you'll love this new way of eating!! Come back often and let us know how you're doing!