South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Unhappy Last July Weekend! July 25 and 26!

Slow down Summer! I want to enjoy you!

No chance of a slowdown today since I need to do the bread run shortly, we have the "grind" at noon and I work a chicken BBQ at 4! The Pypers need to vacate their cottage by 11 so will be here off and on all day before they leave for Ottawa. They want to see some of the Fair events this afternoon and also do the chicken BBQ. They are lots of fun but it will be a relief to go back to so-called normal life. I'm not accustomed to having six adults in and out of the house all the time although they are a lot of fun. And they all talk at once!

Tomorrow all I have to do is judge the pet show tomorrow afternoon and I'm going to keep it that way. I plan to sit on the front porch with a diet tonic and watch the traffic going the other way when the Fair closes at six.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:16 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 5"

Ruth, I feel the same way! Summer is virtually half over! I am already making plans to take DS2 back to college. Enjoy your day.

Not sure what is on the agenda today. I managed to fill up yesterday with a walk, some book time, some garden time, the usual. I think I may go looking for another raised garden kit. In my dream world I have a small one for lettuce and herbs.

Coffee's ready. Anyone want some?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good morning!

I came outside just a little earlier with the puppies. It became obvious immediately that a big bike tour is going through town. What happens is the entire length of the town is filled with cars That stay parked while the owners participate in the race. Two weeks ago there were 3000 bikers. What it means is if I leave for even five minutes I will not be able to park within a mile of my house. Guess I'm staying home!

Ruth, enjoy your fair day and especially the time sitting on your porch when you return.

Beth, sounds like a productive day yesterday. The site where I bought my little greenhouse is called Wayfair. They had lots of items are pretty deeply discounted and my greenhouse had free shipping. I'm glad I'm doing it now so I will be all set up to come spring.

Love2garden, I live in the land of extremes here. I'm 20 miles west of Denver with an altitude rise 2000 feet. It can be incredibly hot and sunny, even in the winter, but then turn around and be extremely cold as well. We get a couple of brief periods when it will be 20 below. Fortunately those are the times when it's extremely sunny. My issue with gardening is Extremes. last March it was beautiful and warm and things started growing and then I think we had three separate snow incidents which really put a damper on things. That was the time when a returning rose that was already very far along with growth froze out. I'm going to put the greenhouse in a small patch which is not the most ideal as far as the greenhouse is concerned but I wanted to be inconspicuous. Not a focus of attention. I think I can use it really nicely in the spring to start some of my own plans and make some early purchases but not have to get into a panic when it besides it's going to snow again. I don't think I will plan on heating it in the winter. It would be unproductive and probably costly.

Well I just saw the number 1560 on a biker. It means it's a pretty good-sized race. I'm going to take it or easy early this morning and then my neighbor boy is coming over to hold the ladder while I get a couple of branches down. I plan to be very careful. Until then, I plan to continue my work on a lilac and start to reclaim my space for the greenhouse area. Slowly but surely I'm feeling better.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-25-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

Yippee! Melinda has loads of help for the BBQ so I can go to the Fair after the Grind at the Mill, check out some of the winning Homecraft Entries, pet a cow or horse, maybe have a brew in the Beer Tent with friends and just enjoy myself.

Life is good!
Old 07-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Good morning I was up early with the puos and decided going back to sleep on th couch was best. My days have been very long with short sleeps. Debbie I wish I was riding today by you. The big rides here usually start at parks where there is plenty of parking. I haven't done much riding or working out with my new schedule. I keep telling myself I'll find a new routine, but when??

Ruth have a great time judging the dogs show. Is this the children's one? Enjoy your quiet and calm when it comes.

Another day of work today with a stop at Verizon first. I must give DS props. He goes through phones quickly and I refuse to buy home another one. Well hallelujah he got his own plan!!! Whoo hoo. I need to see if it is cheaper for me to pay the early termination fee for his line or just pay the bill through September. My contract is up and my phone is just fine. So a cheaper cell phone bill sounds great to me
Old 07-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Jennifer, woo hoo for DS getting his own phone plan. I am not riding today. Just guarding my parking space. These rides are way over my head. Two weeks ago was a race they called a triple bypass. It's 140 miles each direction over three mountain passes all over 11,000 feet elevation. They go one way spend the night and turn around and come back.

Love2garden, does it help if I deadhead my daylilies? I do it with everything else. You would know the answer.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 5"

Debbie, I tend to deadhead everything. I have some Stella d'oro daylilies that are supposed to be ever-blooming so I figure the less energy the plant puts into seed pods the more it has for flowers.

This is the one good guide I found:
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/58deadheadingguide/

Thanks for the tip on the greenhouse site.

Last edited by Beth19; 07-25-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good afternoon I finally made a few minutes to stop in Summer is flying by and I just have so much to do. We are going camping Monday when DH gets home from work, so I 'll lose three work days. Lots of stuff to get done before we head out!

Ruth - Enjoy the fair!

Debbie - glad you are starting to feel better. I trimmed our lilacs this year. I used the 1/3 rule because I can't bear a year without flowers The forsythia, on the other hand, really got a serious haircut. They are out of control.

Beth - Thanks for the link! I deadheaded my butterfly bush, dianthus, and daylilies this morning. Can't wait to see what else I can clean-up. I deadhead all my annuals but am much more conservative with perennials.

Jennifer _ I'm sure it's nice to see those steps toward maturity Hope the new job settles in soon and you get some breaks.

Cottage and Tammy. Was there a picture yesterday? I need to go look

Now back to the chore list. Today was supposed to be for dehydrating zucchini, freezing kale and edamame, and setting up two ferments. Somehow I ended up with a flat of blueberries (sale at my favorite farm stand) so more to get done before DH gets home (in 3 hours ) Off I go. Maybe we will get a swim and a walk in later
Old 07-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good afternoon!

My grandson Tyler was already up and waiting when I came downstairs shortly after 6am this morning. Today is his birthday (he's 8 years old today!), and he couldn't wait to get his special day started, LOL! So we've been celebrating ever since.

Ruth, I'm glad you get to relax and enjoy the fair festivities with friends today!

Beth, thanks for posting that deadheading link, it's really handy guide! I'm pretty good about keeping my plants deadheaded, but this gives me a better guideline as to when to do it.

Debbie, I'm glad you're feeling better, and hope you find enough to keep yourself occupied while you're guarding your parking spot!

Cyndi, sorry, but we forgot to take pictures once again! Have a great time on your camping trip!

Jennifer, whoohoo for your DS getting his own phone plan!
Old 07-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 2"

Debbie If you do not dead head the day lilies, no real problem. When you remove the old spent bloom it simply makes your view more appealing.

I agree that getting those seed pods removed allows the day lilies that re-bloom to put the energy into producing new blooms later in year. I have Stella and Happy Returns and both are in second season of bloom.

I also agree on deadheading many other things, but some whose bloom is small are simply left alone. I have close to 50 daylilies, so I'd get nothing else done. I do keep the view from patio and dining room looking the best. Same view so it is easier.

Today I cut down the scapes that held the day lily blooms and removed some dead or dying leaves to give us a better view.

The Red Mandivilla that we buy each year is sending up waving branches that I help go to the trellis. In a few weeks the trellis will be a burst of red blooms, and thank goodness, none need to be deadheaded.

Question???? Shasta Daisies, I just planted short ones this year and tho deadheaded, I see no sign of new blooms. Anyone else know why?

Sandy, very very sore from hours in garden this morning and a dumpster full of the stuff I removed. That creeping Charlie is so aggressive, can't seem to get it under control - was even climbing up day lily.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!

My Shasta's have never rebloomed. I think it's because they bloom from the root on a single stem. On the other hand, my Lupins are deadheaded and always bloom at least two or three times. I really think it's a matter of where the bloom originates - tulips don't respond to deadheading the the blooms come from the bulb itself.

On the other hand, the Stella D'oros do rebloom when cut back.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 2"

Thanks Ruth for info about the Shasta daisies. I've never tried Lupins, but perhaps I need to check into these, sound promising!!!

DH agrees with you to cut back re-bloomers, but this year with all the rain we didn't. Still lots of re-bloom and we celebrate.

Sandy
Old 07-26-2015, 06:45 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

Well, I'm back to just two dogs as the Pypers have gone home. Peace has descended on Sheridale. My two pups seem tired out and went right back to bed after potty.

Not much on my plate today except laundry and a quick trip to the Fair Office to pick up my crockpot. ( My beef stew was greatly appreciated.) The Fair closes at 6 p.m. and it'll be pretty noisy this evening as the Fair guys dis-assemble the rides and drive the big rigs down my road around midnight! By tomorrow the Fair grounds will be empty except for our own people doing clean-up. The Mill staff will move the cow back into the Mill archives mid-morning and Delta will settle down to being a quiet Village where nothing much happens.

There'll be lots happening here though as I ready the house for two visitors coming up from NJ for the weekend. I need to get my wee guest room ready and also finish stashing away Christmas things that have been hiding in the other spare room. On the other hand, maybe I'll just leave things as they are and have a bit of Christmas in July! I also need to do a major grocery shopping trip as the cupboard is a tad bare.

Enjoy your Sunday and keep cool. (We are heading into a week of very hot and humid weather.)
Old 07-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning!

Ruth, we're expecting another Heat Wave to descend on us today and last all week, too. I hope it's cooler in Chicago when I head out there the end of the week!

I ended up shortening and hemming 4 pairs of Bermuda shorts yesterday, and I still have 1 more to do today. Even though I buy "petite", they're still way too long, and I had to cut almost 2" off of them. I wonder why my thumb is sore this morning?

Today's plan is to run out for groceries, then pick up a house-warming gift before we go over to see my brother's new house. I saw my SIL in church last evening, and she is so excited! I want to take them a big basket of veggies from our garden, too. I plan to wind down the day with a refreshing swim and a chilled glass of wine, poolside.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #15  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Good morning!

Thanks for all the tips on deadheading! I'll be interested to see what happens with my Shasta's. I've never gotten many blooms off even while still fresh. It is reminding me that I need to put some stakes and little string between them because the bloomers are all starting to tip over they're so heavy. Then at some point I just have a big mess and say oh well forget it.

I wasn't in tiptop shape yesterday but decided to get back out in the yard. My neighbor came by to stand around and help me hold the ladder. I got a lot of dead out of three of my trees. They are looking a lot better but the yard is a mess. He's going to come back Monday while I'm at work and clean up and do the mowing. It's a tough week on the budget but I'll recover.

I had a late night last night but it was fun. A program friend from Glenwood got on the bus and my friend Susan and I picked her up at the bus station in Denver. She's formerly homeless girl who has almost 2 years of surprised me. It's been a really rough transition for her. we decided to go to a meeting at a club house in downtown. Oh my gosh, it was the most spectacular old building. Just incredible! It's a private club since I believe AA doesn't purchase buildings like that. So they have some kind of meeting every hour of the day from seven until 10 at night and I guess it works out with the finances. I wish we had more time to look around. I'll go back

So it's work today and I vacillate between weather I wish it would be busy or not. Would love to just get home early and catch some rest but on the other hand money would be nice. I guess I'll just take what comes! LOL.

Well I'd better get organized! Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-26-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Closed Thread