South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 08:16 AM   #1  

Default **Hint** for ricotta cream

Okay, maybe you guys are already doing this, but last night was the first time I tried it.

I mix my ricotta with cottage cheese and then add the flavorings. I hate the texture of cottage cheese though, so last night I used my electric mixer on the concoction. Oh...my...GOSH! It was like eating chocolate cake batter. It took all the willpower I had not to eat the whole container.

Erika
Old 08-08-2003, 08:28 AM   #2  

HELP. Does anyone have a recipe for a cheese "cake", without crust of course, using ricotta cheese and Egg Beaters?

Diane z
Old 08-08-2003, 09:18 AM   #3  
GARDENING ADDICT

Erika~~~I mix enough to made 4 servings in a food processer and it really turns out smooth.

Diane~~There is a cheesecake recipe under the "Recipe" thread, first page by LindaBC. I have also heard that using ground pistachios with a little melted I Can't Beleive... makes a good "bottom crust" but I haven't tried it. Good luck .
Old 08-08-2003, 02:28 PM   #4  
Mous

Erika,
You are making my mouth water...going to go give the ricotta dessert a spin.....in the blender. Can't wait.

TY

Lady Marcie
Old 08-08-2003, 02:48 PM   #5  
Member Florida Chick

Default Favorite Ricotta Cream

Has anyone tried the Lime Zest RC. My favorite is the Chocolate. If you haven't tried it add a bit more cocoa for a stonger Chocolate flavor. A little Brandy extract makes for a nice flavor too. I have to be careful not to get carried away with the mini choc. chips.

I have a small osterizer food processor and doing a batch in it makes it really creamy. I was not crazy about the Vanilla at all. Maybe I just need to have my chocolate cravings satisfied. Ann
Old 08-08-2003, 09:00 PM   #6  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Talking My Current Fling...

My latest kitchen creation is "This Can't Possibly Be Good For You" ricotta desert:

1 15 oz container part-skim ricotta
1/4 C. FF half and half
1 sm. pkg ff/sf chocolate pudding mix

Blend or process the ricotta and half and half, then add the pudding mix. It gets VERY thick once you do this, and I have had a heck of a time getting it out of the blender but it is SO worth it. I even added about 1/4 C. of water this last time because it was to thick to mix. Next time I am trying the food processor!

It tastes just like the chocolate mousse you get in restaurants! I would not hesitate to serve this to company! Yummmm. This makes about five 1/2 C servings.

UPDATE: I just tried the batch I made using FRIGO brand part skim ricotta, and it isn't nearly as good as the first batch I made. I don't remember the brand I used, but apparently there is difference!!!

Last edited by frannymae; 08-09-2003 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:38 AM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Frannymae: I like the Polly-o paart skim ricotta. Maybe that is what you used before. Thata seems to be my favorite brand. Your recipe sounds great. Will give it a try . Have you done either the lemon or lime zest one? I'm wondering if the lime would be soemthing like key lime pie. Thanks for the tip. Ann
Old 08-09-2003, 08:46 AM   #8  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Ann, I have tried the lemon and it was really good. I didn't put it in the food processor as some folks have recommended...apparently it improves the texture.

I am hoping I have the container from the ricotta I used last time! At least I know where I bought it, and they only had two brands.

I found it! YODER'S...it may be a regional brand?

Enjoy!

Last edited by frannymae; 08-09-2003 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:58 AM   #9  
In Control: E+R=O

I've started making mine using the ff/sf instant pudding mix, and I love it! It does get really thick, but I like it like that. I mix mine with my hand mixer, and that works well. I'll have to try a little bit of half and half like franny suggested, that sounds great.

I have noticed that the different brands of ricotta really do make a difference in the flavor and the texture. The brand that I found I like the best is Sargento.

Ann, I also have tried the recipe for the lemon ricotta in the book, and it was very good. I did add more lemon zest than the recipe called for however, as I really love lemon flavor.

For anyone who is in phase 2, try mixing in a little fruit. I've added blueberries to vanilla ricotta (made with ff/sf vanilla pudding mix), and also to the lemon zest ricotta.

This weekend I'm going to try to flavor the ricotta with cinnamon and then add chopped apples.....not sure how that will work but I'll let you know if it's any good.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:28 PM   #10  

Can we have half and half and sf pudding when we are on week one?????? You guys are making me drool. We tried the lemon zest and added extra lemon and extra splenda for my husband who hasn't entirely been able to give up his sugar for his coffee yet. It was ok but I wasn't thrilled with the consistency. Will use the blender next time. Julie
Old 08-10-2003, 01:16 PM   #11  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Julie, I THINK this is okay for phase 1....Dr. A says you can use FF H&H in your coffee, the pudding in sugar free, and the ricotta is definately okay. Of course I wouldn't eat the whole container...It makes about five 1/2 cup servings. I am really just guessing, though...

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 08-10-2003, 07:21 PM   #12  

I made it for tonights dessert and OH MY GOD!!!!!! I know that I'm PMSing but I think that this could actually take the place of my Ben and Jerrys New York Super Fudge Chunk. that will be a first..................LOL Julie
Old 08-10-2003, 10:03 PM   #13  
it's always something

Can we have pumpkin? I imagine a tablespoon of canned pumpkin mixed with the ricotta, a few packs of splenda, and a dash of pumpkin pie spice would be good
Old 08-11-2003, 08:51 AM   #14  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Pumpkin is pretty high on the glycemic index (75) so I would definately save this for phase 2. But since you aren't talking about a whole cup but just a tablespoon it would probably be okay. You can always try it and see what happens! If you start craving stuff then you'll know it isn't for you!

Let us know if you try it and how it is!
Closed Thread