South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:09 AM   #1  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Default Tuesday SBD Chat, Feb 3

Good Morning

Coffee is on! I have a Breville which grinds the beans and yesterday I heard it making a funny noise. I scrambled to refill the bean hopper but sadly my coffee was very weak. I'm looking forward to the real thing this morning!

The trip to Denver after work was long and my feet hurt. I brought dinner to bed and fell asleep very early. I woke in the middle of the night but did go back to sleep, so I got 10-11 hours. Yay!

Nothing new going on here. Wish I had something to report

Stop and say hi!

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 02-03-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:32 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Debbie, thanks for starting us up AND for the coffee. My coffee is sort of wimpy today - flavoured coffee just does not cut it with me first thing in the morning. I need hi-test!

Yesterday was a house-bound day as we got a big dump of snow - about 9 inches of it with wind blowing it into drifts. I did a lot of shovelling to keep the doors cleared and it drifted back within an hour. My road didn't get ploughed until after noon and Richard didn't show to do the lane until evening when it finally stopped. Luckily I didn't need to drive anywhere.

So there I was - housebound and ready to tackle some accounting problems and my mouse DIED!!!!! Perhaps it was just as well because I managed to get my quilting room tidied and ready for dishes to be moved in there from the cabinet.

Today Angus will go home but not until after 6 PM. It will be strange without him and he sure will be missed, especially by Millie who was his boss and playmate. Joanne and Joey managed to get here for one last playdate and the two younger dogs had a ball in the yard. Joanne took down some things from the top shelf of a closet (she's 6') and there was an extra mouse. Whew! Saved me a trip to town for a new one this morning.

Time to crank up the day. Three more days until Friday when I'm Cuba bound. Good thing it wasn't yesterday because the Ottawa airport was completely shut down and I wouldn't have been able to drive there anyhow!

Have a terrific Tuesday.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #3  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hello
Is this a South Beach Diet thread?
I have a older book over 10 yrs. old & I am wondering if those 'same instructions & foods StiLL apply now; or if a newer book has Updates w mine giving Wrong-Invalid information....
If anyone knows the answer to my question; pLease tell me.
I don't want to throw away my older book, if the info. is still valid.

TY Dee
Old 02-03-2015, 06:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Lexiss - weak coffee is a horrible way to start your day! Ten hours of sleep is amazing, I'm a little jealous!

Ruth - Phew, I saw a mouse died, I was afraid it was starting to stink . It comes in handy having a 6' tall friend!

Mini Doodle, your avatar is adorable, although it makes me want to eat it the old book is fine, you can read in a stickie here somewhere the new changes. Make sure you check in with us daily and on the on plan thread, it REALLY helps to keep on plan!

I made my confetti salad yesterday, had a weird craving for it, and it was delish! I was doing awesome yesterday (few days before that were yucky) until I went on the dreadmill. Twenty minutes at 1.5 mph and my legs were all spastic (so I walked like a drunk again). Pathetic - I used to run 3-6 miles on that thing! But at least I'm doing it, right?

I did decide after my disaster of working 2 days in a row last week, that I won't be doing that anymore, so only M-W-F for a couple of weeks. I was supposed to work this afternoon, but it scared me to do that and then tomorrow morning (I didn't work yesterday because of the snow storm). So today I'm running to Sam's and the grocery store. Very exciting, eh? Anyone need anything?

Ruth - are you going to build a snowman?
Old 02-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome, miniDoodles, and yes, this is the SBD Daily Chat Thread. Your old South Beach book will still give you the guidelines to follow, but check in our *stickies* section for the upgraded Food Lists that have some changes. Good luck, and we look forward to getting to know you!

Ruth, I'm glad you are spared a trip to the store for a new mouse! Jazz and Millie aren't going to know what to do with themselves once Angus goes back home. I wonder if they thought he was there to stay?

Debbie, you are starting your day off right after a good night's sleep and a good cup of coffee this morning. Have a great day!

Our roads are icy this morning, so I'll have to take my time going in. There's only one area that I'm concerned about it, but it should be OK since schools are opening on time.

Have a great day, everyone, and be safe in the snow!
Old 02-03-2015, 07:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning, Tammy! I almost missed you! Remember to take it slow and easy, and rest when your body tells you. I'm glad you are starting to get back into routine, though.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:52 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning The coffee is strong enough here but the temperature is ridiculous. -9 and a wind chill warning We ended up with about a foot of new snow yesterday, on top of the old snow. Haven't seen bare ground since the day before Thanksgiving. It's definitely time to start planning my garden!

Debbie - Isn't sleep wonderful!

Ruth - Took me some reading to figure out what was wrong with your mouse dying. I usually have an extra one around too, just in case.

miniDoodles -

Tammy - I am impressed you are getting on the treadmill already. Baby steps but real progress!

Cottage - I was just checking school closings too. Safe travels to you

Okay, time to ramp up again. Yesterday was a unenthusiastic work day with lots of breaks to check-out the office painting. Today I need to focus.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: maintaining

Good morning. My favorite part of our trip was how close we were to the animals. For the most part, they have no fear of humans. Regulations limited us to keep a distance of several feet. The photo of the sea lion came about when I stood about 7 feet in front of several on a beach and asked my husband to take my photo... little did I know that one of the more curious ones decided to come check me out. I could feel the tickle of whiskers on my legs! I didn't dare turn around!

This week I'll be spending a lot of time working on a travel journal. I took notes every day but they got shorter and shorter as the trip went on. I have some errands to run - returning some things I got for the trip but didn't take with me. Should really do some meal planning. I actually didn't gain any weight on the trip but yesterday I went on some crazy eating binge that I can't figure out. (The shorts in the photo are several years old and several sizes too big. They are super comfy but I didn't think about how unflattering they'd be in so many of our photos.)

BBL...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06722-L.jpg (28.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05422-X2.jpg (65.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

LOVE those pics Karen!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #10  

Height: 5'8"

Karen, I LOVE that picture of you with the tortoise! It would make a perfect Christmas card. We've got a cold day here too.....I am just ready for winter to end. At least it's sunny today, and supposedly going to be above freezing tomorrow.

I have been having a LOT of leg and sciatic pain because I haven't been doing my PT exercises and when I just walk, I re-injure myself. I have to start doing pilates to balance my pelvis...I looked up the Pilates for Dummies dvd on YouTube and it looks pretty good. Does anyone have experience with Pilates you would like to share? Specifically for pain issues...
Old 02-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 216.25/210.75/148

Height: 5'2"

Full of questions...I work from home on Tuesdays and Fridays so I finally have a few minutes to post. (My 3 kids are here, so that's a limited few minutes). I'm on day 2 of Phase 1. Oh my. Seems like it should already be day 13 - I'm not very patient. There's nothing horrible about it - I just wish I was moving to phase 1.5 asap. I have some questions about specific foods. Where do I ask those questions? Do I start a thread? Although I have both the original and the supercharged books there are still things that I need help understand. Turkey bacon...is that ok on phase 1? Chicken thighs...are they EVER ok? I only see chicken breasts as ok, and only wings & drumsticks as "no-no's". Chicken thighs have become one of my absolute favorite foods - same for my family. Hummus...I prefer Sabra, and don't have time to make my own (yes, I've tried it plenty of times in the past)...is this ok to eat on phase 1? Plain raw broccoli is pretty rough for me!

Ruth - your Cuba trip sounds exciting! I've always been curious about Cuba and wish I could go. I hope you have a wonderful time.
Karen - Looks like a wonderful vacation! I can't believe the animals were so comfortable around people - glad that sea lion snuck up on you!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #12  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

The weekly On Plan thread is a great place to ask questions. It's a thread that's going 24 hours a day where as this daily chat tends to be very active early and slows down later on.

It's really recommended that you be patient and thorough with your phase 1. That's where you're going to lose your cravings and also see a nice dropping weight, which is always motivating.

There are all kinds of helpful threads up in the stickies which give you all kinds of information on specific foods.

I'm not familiar with that specific hummus. Hummus is fine on phase 1 but you'd want to look up your specific brand and make sure there are no added sugar's or starches.

I believe turkey bacon is fine on phase 1, keeping in mind that it's pretty salty. As far as chicken thighs go, I believe that the white meat is preferred. I don't eat much chicken, so go check the stickies or maybe someone else will answer.

Best wishes! I hear you on the time thing. My life is super busy and super crazy but what I found works for me is to find the foods that are on plan that I enjoy and I just stick with the groove. I don't have to cook for a family, though. That certainly makes things more challenging. Over the years, my husband's become perfectly comfortable with eating the foods that I eat and although he doesn't need to lose weight he's gotten a lot healthier and feels a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebhealthy View Post
Full of questions...I work from home on Tuesdays and Fridays so I finally have a few minutes to post. (My 3 kids are here, so that's a limited few minutes). I'm on day 2 of Phase 1. Oh my. Seems like it should already be day 13 - I'm not very patient. There's nothing horrible about it - I just wish I was moving to phase 1.5 asap. I have some questions about specific foods. Where do I ask those questions? Do I start a thread? Although I have both the original and the supercharged books there are still things that I need help understand. Turkey bacon...is that ok on phase 1? Chicken thighs...are they EVER ok? I only see chicken breasts as ok, and only wings & drumsticks as "no-no's". Chicken thighs have become one of my absolute favorite foods - same for my family. Hummus...I prefer Sabra, and don't have time to make my own (yes, I've tried it plenty of times in the past)...is this ok to eat on phase 1? Plain raw broccoli is pretty rough for me!

Ruth - your Cuba trip sounds exciting! I've always been curious about Cuba and wish I could go. I hope you have a wonderful time.
Karen - Looks like a wonderful vacation! I can't believe the animals were so comfortable around people - glad that sea lion snuck up on you!
Closed Thread