South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 06:53 AM   #1  

Default Chili question

I have a meatless chili recipe from WW. My DH didn't like the texture of the vegetale replacement product though. I'd think that it could be made with ground sirlion. My question is about the beans. Maybe someone can help me so I don't have to wait until I get to the store to check labels. It called for a can of pork and beans, a can of kidney beans and a can of chili beans. I'm betting that there are carbs in the sauce of the pork and beans. But, with a little of substituting, I bet I could come up with a good recipe. Am thinking ground sirlloin, beans, celery,some onion, tomato juice and lots of chili powder and a bit of garlic...simmered until thick. What do you all think????
Old 07-29-2003, 07:14 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

'Morning, Tippy.
I think your recipe idea would work well. I agree - the pork and beans probably have sugar in them. I make chili with kidney or a tin of mixed beans and sometimes use ground chicken. It gets pitched in the crockpot and simmers for the day.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:18 AM   #3  

Heck, sweet peppers would be thrown in too! I told DH though that he can't eat a thousand soda crackers with it though. He said that he will look into whole wheat crackers after Phase 1.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:39 AM   #4  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

YUP!! Green and/or red bell peppers are GREAT in chili!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 12:03 PM   #5  

I like the kidney beans best anyway, and I'm going to fix this for my family. I hadn't even thought of it!!! What about the canned tomatoes? I usually use 2 cans of crushed tomatoes and kidney beans, white onion, meat and chili season. I know we're allowed 1 tomato per meal, I wouldn't think with a bowl or two we'd go over that?? Or is there anything in the canned kind we can't have?
Old 07-29-2003, 12:11 PM   #6  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

As long as they don't have sugar they are fine (some stewed tomatoes have them.) I tried to up the other veggies and cut back a bit on the tomatoes when I made mine, to keep to that 1 tomato rule. Still tasted good!!! (I used kidney beans and black beans too!!)
Old 07-29-2003, 12:14 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

As well as checking for sugar in cannded tomatoes, check the beans too. Some kidney beans have sugar added - why I'll never know!
Old 07-29-2003, 12:41 PM   #8  
it's always something

I posted a recipe for Veg-Head Three-Bean Chili in the Recipe thread (first page) and it's delicious! I made a huge batch and froze it in individual portions (single gal).

Thanks for the tip on the sugar in beans, I'd have never guessed that! I don't think the ones I bought had it, but I'll definitely pay closer attention to the labels from now on.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:13 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

You know what gives a nice flavor to chili...taco seasoning, the kind in the little packets, they even have low salt if your watching that.

I don't know if you can use TVP on your diet but thats a great sub for meat, it picks up the flavors of everything else.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:33 PM   #10  

Hello everyone!

How does Wendy's chilli fare on phase one. I am trying to get a feel for this diet. Is it allowed? Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2003, 02:18 PM   #11  

I went to Wendy's web site and found the following nutritional information on a small Wendy's chili:

Calories 200
Fat Grams 6
Saturated Fat Grams 2.5
Cholestorol 35
Sodium 870 (!)
Total Carbs 21
Protein 17

I'm not sure how it all pans out for Phase I, although the meat won't be lean like we're supposed to have. Anyone else know?

I'm going to try the home recipe, too, although it would be good to know we're not doing too much damage if we're on the go and have to grab the Wendy's version.

S
Closed Thread