South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 01:16 AM   #1  

Default Happy Monday, July 21****

Hello fellow South Beach dwellers!!! Happy Monday!!!! I hope you don't mind me starting the thread...I am still up and was going to post on the weekend daily...but it is Monday here!!!

Everyone is so upbeat!! Isn't it wonderful???!!! We can do this and we will!! The little set backs are nothing, it's going to happen, after all, this is a life time plan, not a "diet", so it is to be expected. This is a learning experience, and the bad choices I make are NOT really bad anymore...so I feel as though I am finally in CONTROL!!

Little story...yesterday we celebrated my moms 71st birthday. Being Italian...well you know!!! Carbs, carbs and more carbs!!! Everyone seems to be sick and tired of grilling, so after taking a survey (four children and their spouses) they decided that my homemade pasta and fresh pesto would be nice. There were 16 of us, so I needed to come up with another dish (have a fussy in-law, won't eat anything green ) So I made chicken, broccoli, ziti with garlic, Romano cheese and virgin olive oil. I also made Italian sausage (that WAS cooked on the grill ) Large tossed salad, Italian bread (more carbs)!!!! Lemon Poppy cake served with low fat ice cream (lot more carbs)!

The reason I am telling you this is #1...I had NO problem cooking all this food, and had no desire to eat it, even though it smelt wonderful. That felt good...but...#2 and more importantly, I felt so DARN GUILTY cooking like that for my whole family knowing that it is soooo unhealthy. None of them have weight problems, but it really isn't about that. They are all very supportive of me, but they just don't have any desire to give up those not so good carbs!! Ya, I know I could of cooked SBD style...but I made the mistake of asking first Some old habits are hard to break...like making my (now adult) kids happy. Only thing now is...I feel like I am clogging their arteries!!!!! This "diet" has altered my brain and how I feel about food, my husband said I am worst than a reformed smoker!! Don't get me wrong...I am happy with myself, just wish I could get the rest of them to join me. Is anyone else getting obsessive about this???

Sorry this is so long...just needed to share with people that understand! I really feel guilty!!! Thanks for listening~~~~~~~~~~~~Meg

Last edited by meg 1+2; 07-21-2003 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:52 AM   #2  
cranky & determined

Good Morrrning Meg & the rest of the Beach Babes!

I totally agree - I had lunch at some friends and he had prepared grilled shrimp, a lovely slad and PASTA. I didn't have the pasta and told him that I have a wheat allergy! :eek The thing that impressed me though was how EASY it was to pass up the pasta! SBD totally RULES! We had fruit salad for dessert and it tasted phenomena. She brought out a candy dish with truffles (a former weakness of mine) and.... I didn't even consider having one!

I felt sooo good and in control, for a change! When I got home, my DS and his GF vame to see me and brought ice cream! Didn't have any of that either - I'd had a ricotta dessert earlier and was totally satisfied.

Now I know, for sure, going to the Cape (Cape Cod) will not be a set-back.

We've got a nice cool morning here and I'm getting set to hit the gym.

Have a glotious day on the Beach, Babes and I'll check in again lwith you ater!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:01 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Happy Monday, July 21.....

Good morning, Early Babes!

Whew! I saw Meg's post for July 22 and thought I'd missed July 21, the day the Fair schoolwork entries get judged! I just fixed it and now feel a lot better.

Just a quick peek this morning as I still have a bit of clerical stuff to do before going to the Hall for 8 to crank this up. I didn't get much sleep last night as World's Finest Shows was moving in and uses our street. It feels like the transports are going through the bedroom. Of course, the Doggage have to woof to let them know fierce guard dogs live here!

The judging will shoot the morning and then I have more roadrunning this afternoon re tickets. Harry is being a sweetie for now but I think I'll throw a ham in the crockpot and not use up all my credits with him at once.

Have a super Beach Day
Old 07-21-2003, 06:57 AM   #4  
In Control: E+R=O

Good morning! I have to say that you ladies (I think....I'm assuming here)....are an inspiration to a newbie like me! I can't wait for the day when I can pass up pasta or sweets without a second thought.

I'm starting Day 3 today. This weekend was pretty easy since I was at home, with no "temptations". I'm heading out to work this morning, and there is always something around to eat....people bring "treats", people have candy in their office, and my office is just down the hall from the cafeteria which is loaded with bad carbs. One day at a time.....

I have a question. I know that breakfast is an important meal, but I have never been a breakfast eater, just not hungry in the morning. Is it ok to have my morning snack for breakfast (for example string cheese), and then have my breakfast a couple of hours later after I get to work as my morning snack? I'm often up by 5:00 or 5:30 a.m., and that is just to early to eat much. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:20 AM   #5  
it's always something

Lol, in a perfect world, I'd be skinny AND a member of Meg's family!! Congratulations, Meg, I probably wouldn't have been as strong! Good for you, for being in control

Twodogmom, eat anything you want for breakfast, as long as it's enough to pass as a small meal and not a snack. And still have your morning snack Breakfast does take a little getting used to for some of us, but it will happen! It's recommended in the book to eat it. Also, I posted a news clipping recently that said :

"Americans who regularly skip breakfast are 4.5 times more likely to be fat, researchers found. But, in good news for the nibblers among us, those who eat four or more meals a day are actually on the thinner side."

I love your signature, btw
Old 07-21-2003, 07:30 AM   #6  

Good morning ladies!! New goal for this week...and that is to eat smaller protions!! Last week I worked on staying OP....this week it is portion control!!!
Didn't sleep real sound last night....so I am feeling kinda slow today. Will check in later...
Whimsey
Old 07-21-2003, 07:35 AM   #7  
Big Looser Wannabe

Good morning Friends!

You all sound so positive! I love to read "I'm in control"!

I'm having a little set back but I hope to get back today. Send some good vibes my way.

Good luck to you all and have a wonderful day!
Old 07-21-2003, 08:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 266/225/130

Height: 5'1"

Angry Just Finished Week 1

Hi, everyone. Well, today is the beginning of my second week on phase 1 and I am down 9 pounds. I really hope my second week will be just as successful.

Is anyone else here tracking calories while doing the South Beach Diet? I started using Fitday yesterday just out of curiosity and I found that I am eating about 1400 calories per day. Do you think that is O.K.?

Melody
244/235/199/125
Old 07-21-2003, 09:19 AM   #9  
GARDENING ADDICT

Happy Monday Morning~~~

I just read the weekend posts and I'm so proud of this group Lot's of you are "in control" and "able to pass up...."

I want to say WELCOME to Healthyeater and Twodogmom

Congratulations to Melody and Rotobabe for their wonderful losses

Twodogmom~~When i work (weekends) I often have a string cheese in the car on the way to work. I start work at 6:45AM and will have my breakfast break around 9-9:30. Since I usually don't get a chance to have lunch until 2-3PM, this works great for me. So, find what works best for you but don't skip breakfast altogether.

Rotobabe~~Happy Anniversary !!!!!

Linda~~~It's always good to see you.

Kim~~You're doing just great. Don't worry about a few slips~just don't make them a habit and you'll be fine.

Ellis~~I was freaked out, too, when I saw your new avitar

I Love U Peggy Sue~~~ Sending good vibes your way :

Meg~~Don't feel too guilty for giving your family what they want. They make their own choices and maybe with time they will see your wonderful example will rub off on them.

My scale finally moved down (just 1 pound but I'll take it for now).
Old 07-21-2003, 09:39 AM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

Good morning darlings!!

Sil, my avatar is freaking me out, too. Maybe I'll change it soon... much as I LOVE my dear Timothy Findley.
Congratulations on the one pound down, hon!!

Melody, that is fantastic!! Congratulations!! You're counting calories, huh? Listen hon, you do whatever the heck you like, but that's one of the things that we love about this "diet". No counting!!

Peggie Sue, you WILL do better today! Hugs and strength to you...

Twodogs, you WILL get used to eating breakfast. I went without it for years, and I could still go without, but my brain now tells me to eat! And I'm listening.
And it's VERY bizarre not craving pasta or bread. I could care less if I ever ate it again. (well, right this minute anyhow. )

Whimsey, have a wonderful day, and good luck with your portion control!!

Suzanne, how are you? Have a good carb day!

Ruth you are crazy. Absolutely crazy. Don't ever slow down... I'm sure you'd keel right over.

Opera, you're doing great! And exercising, too!

Meg, you are so smart to have made that other dish for your Mom's birthday. I'm sure that the longer you're on this "diet", the easier you'll find it to substitute good carbs for the bad ones your family is eating. I do know what you mean, though. My DH came home from grocery shopping with our seven year old son yesterday. They'd bought a box of Lucky Charm cereal. I just hope that I can gradually wean them off of that sort of junk.

Phew! Did I get everyone?

This week I'm determined to see the scale dip to 175. It's been hovering around 176 1/2 to 177, so I should be able to start going down again.

Hugs to everyone!!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:17 AM   #11  
cranky & determined

Ellis! you're avatar is stranngely dissturbing! At first I thought it was that actor, Brian Denehy (sp?).

I still think of you as Grommet! I'm sure you'll be in the low '70s soon... you're blazing the trail for me!

Thanks for all the positive vibes, Chicks!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:44 AM   #12  

Ruth...so sorry about that!!! It was really early in the AM when I posted...brain is mush then Of course, we don't have to worry about messing up when we have you around!!! Thanks!

Operadog..WTG...what a feeling it is to say NO to food!! Where are you staying at the Cape?... that's my favorite place! I'm about two hours from the Bourne Bridge. You will do great on vacation!!!

twodog...I am starting my 11th week and I have played around with the breakfast thing a few times and I will NOT skip or rearrange it anymore. I feel so much better when I eat a good meal. I am so used to it, that I look forward to it every day...but you know we are all different, and I think whatever works for you is fine. So play with it.

Ellis...this is your week!!!! I am rooting for you!!!!!!!!!

Sil...Congrats!!! that's all I pray for is one pound a week...if more comes....well, you know....

Melody...you are on your way...wow!!!!

Peggy Sue...Good Vibes are going out to you...you can do it...don't beat yourself up...you have NO one to account to but YOU! So jump back in the water!!!

Suzanne...thanks, I really think it will happen to everyone here, (the control thing). If you told me this 6 months ago I would of said NO WAY!!

Hello to everyone else...have a great SBD day!!

Meg
Old 07-21-2003, 11:20 AM   #13  

Smile Official Start Today!!

Well...I've officially started SBD today!!
I'm so pumped for this..and reading all of the threads and posts are giving me so much incentive!!

So far today:
B: Black Coffee with Sweet n Low
6 oz V-8 juice
Low fat cottage cheese with Chives

Snack: String Cheese

I'm so looking forward to chatting with everyone and seeing how great we will be doing..

Di
Old 07-21-2003, 12:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning everyone,

I read in the intro to Phase 2 that you can stay on Phase 1 for 1 or 2 extra weeks if you like. I think I am going to try to do that. Especially since I got into the bag of mini oreos last night and yes for breakfast this morning. I need to get my brain back into the swing of this WOE. As you see I haven't been nearly as good as some of you, and all the carbs still look delicious to me. I do enjoy this WOE so I am sure I can stick to it.

Congrats to all of you losers (too many to name) and to you OPers (again more names than my finger pecking can name) . And I am sending good vibes to all those like myself who just need a little more help or control (send me some positive vibes too).

PS I already told the kids that whatever we do today the cookies are going too and we are sharing them with everyone so they won't come back home

Tahoemom
Old 07-21-2003, 12:07 PM   #15  
cranky & determined

Meg - Ii'm staying in Wellfleet at my friends; place - up until two years ago, he had a place right on the Bay in Ptown - we all piled into that house for many years. He sold it two years aago, so now we go to Wellfleet - to the house he designed (he's an architect). I'll think of you when we pass the Bourne Bridge!

Di - welcome to the Beach! Phase 1 is the toughest but you'll be fine with all the support you get here!

Whimsey - sounds llike you're really on track!
Closed Thread