3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Beacher Bios - 2014 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/291241-beacher-bios-2014-a.html)

VermontMom 01-28-2012 07:59 PM

Beacher Bios - 2012

User Name: Vermontmom, real name Holly, road name Cupcake

Starting weight/current/goal - 156/154/145 or lower?

Marital Status: Married, for 31 years, to the same guy :)

Kids: Two young men, 28 and 21

Pets: One dog, Eddie

Work: I have two seasonal jobs (and they both involve food!) The job I love is from May to October and I am the pastry baker for a private club in the woods. The other job is from November to April and I am a deli worker/cashier.

Plan: South Beach. I had done this years ago. Read the book and it made so much sense. I have terrible carb cravings, and the less I have, the better I am. And I do enjoy most of the foods allowed. I can eat eggs anytime, always!

Favorite diet cheat: Just about anything, but mostly sweet/cakey/cookie type stuff. I lose control when I'm hungry. I hate feeling hungry. It's like I'm being deprived of a basic need and I can't be hungry for long without getting a headache and so irritable. It happens at the deli store non-stop because the food aromas just stimulate my appetite so badly. And I'm not given a lunch break. And then I eat a huge (probably 400 calorie) cookie. Or more!

Hobbies: Motorcycling! I love my motorcycle. I use it to commute from May to November, and we take road trips when we can.

Reasons for wanting to lose weight: Pride..and vanity..and a growing sense of urgency about the future and getting older and wanting to fight possible loss of mobility and independence.

smarkey 01-29-2012 12:37 AM

USER NAME: smarkey. S = Samantha. “Getting back into it” refers to the activities I want to get back into – hiking, skiing, walking, cycling – gardening on a more energetic level like I used to. More weight has meant less energy, which has meant less activity, which has led to more weight.

STRTNG WGHT/CRRNT WGHT/GOAL - 160/152/120

MARITAL STATUS: Married. For now. Things are changing. We’ll see.

PETS: Many, including three teens. They all need constant feeding and cleaning up after.

WORK: Writer/editor. Too much time at a desk or behind a computer putting weight on my butt, but I’m driven. I’m not sure hopping on a forum that will mean more time at my computer is such a great idea, but it’s such a great idea that I will sneak in time here and there.

WHY SOUTH BEACH. I wanted to reduce the amount of sugar and grains (esp. wheat) that I consume because I heard that doing so would help bring my energy up. And I needed a plan, in writing, to follow or I just wouldn’t get there. I liked the lists of foods and the basic principles of the diet. I’m sure this change in how I eat will lead to a fitter, healthier me.

CHALLENGES: Three teens who require a house full of a variety of foods, and who eat everything in sight, but grow only vertically, and who have boundless energy (unlike the dog).

Chocolate. So far, I’m staying ahead of the chocolate, but the teens are in the lead.

Sitting at a desk triggers the desire to snack unless I’m lost in a project, but that takes energy. I need to get up from the desk for breaks more often. I know that simple action is incredibly helpful, but it’s difficult. Getting up and outside is even better. I don’t mind the rain, so I can’t use that as excuse for not getting out.

HOBBIES: Reading, writing, gardening, hiking, skiing, cooking (I still cook for the kids - it's easier than I thought it would be. That tip about clearing the kitchen of all but diet-safe food just doesn't apply in my situation).

REASON FOR WANTING TO LOSE WEIGHT: Energy! I don’t seriously expect to keep up with my teens, but I’d like to keep them in site for a while longer. And then there's this mid-life transition. I want to enjoy the next phase of my life and remain healthy through it and beyond. I've watched my mother go down hard just from lack of looking after herself properly – and food has played a huge role.

Ruthxxx 02-02-2012 04:17 PM

User Name: Ruthxxx Real Name: Ruth

Starting weight/current/goall - Was 232 once but now 180. Current goal is 160 or less by July 2012 so I'll feel better on the rides at Delta Fair.

Location: Village in Eastern Ontario in a 1928 house built by my Grandpa when he retired from the farm. Grew up in Ottawa but visited here lots when I was a kid. Bought this house back into the family in 1985. My Dad cried!

Marital Status:Widowed since October 2008 but coping fine. I am lucky to have a great group of supportive friends, plus financial stability.

Kids: Have two kids from my first marriage - Jim and Mary Ellen. They are both parents but live too far away for me to see the three grandbabies often. Jim is in Ottawa but his work schedule is nuts. Mary Ellen is way out West on Vancouver Island so I can't get to see her often enough. I try for at least one trip out there every year.

Pets: Used to raise Portuguese Water Dogs and loved them! Hershey and Lucy were wonderful dogs but are gone now. They are semi-replaced by Disney, my Katrina rescue dog, and Jazz, a Bolonka, who is still very puppy-ish. Both are well behaved dogs who do pet therapy with me weekly. I think I was a dog in my previous incarnation.

Work: Well, am supposed to be retired but I seem to be able to keep myself busy! I'm very involved in community and church work and have a full schedule.

Plan:South Beach Phase II suits me fine - feel good and finally have my blood sugar well under control now. I has a knee replacement in 2008 which was not completely successful. However, I am rising above it and, after 70 years of being a slug, I'm going to the gym for 90 minutes three times a week and trying to do treadmill the other days. The knee feels much better and I no longer have a limp.

Favorite diet cheat: red licorice - could be worse, I suppose. I'm also partial to wine and Scotch.

Hobbies: Gardening, sewing, cooking, theatre and music, dog breeding and adoration, reading good novels, entertaining friends, too darn much volunteer work, quilting, some writing!

Reasons for wanting to lose weight: I want to be a skinny corpse but no hurry! I am also Type II diabetic and need to keep that in control.

What else? I really do own a Chicken Purse. Had a metal bra which I made for a part in a play but it fell apart. Can whip up another one if anyone wants to put in an order.

sophie 02-05-2012 10:23 AM

User Name: Sophie (middle name) First name Stephanie

Current weight: 166 started at 188 but weight a lot more earlier.

Marital Status: Married for 42 years to the love of my life.

Languages spoken: English, Ukrainian and French

Kids: Two sons, one daughter, all grown and one most adorable grandson.

Pets: None, but love dogs

Work: Use to work in human resources a long time ago until the kids came along and then was a SAHM.

Hobbies: Weaving (a passion), knitting, beading, spinning (fiber), reading, cooking and baking, gardening and travelling

Favourite Exercise: Walking Canada Trails, walking in general

Favourite food: Anything to do with French cooking and a glass of wine but only of weekends.

Favourite colour: Turquoise and collect turquoise jewellery

Problem with weight: Weekends.

I have tried many diets but have been able to stick to South Beach the best. One thing I found I just can't handle making that special little S.B. dessert for moi. Became more successful with I stopped and have really just had a sliver of something on that special occasion.

redautumn 02-11-2012 11:03 AM

User Name/Name: Redautumn/Jen

Starting weight/current/goal -151/147/120

Height: 5'3

Marital Status: Married

Kids: one 7 year old daughter

Pets: 2 cats, Snowball and Callie

Work: I work for a John Deere dealership. It is my family's business. I love my job!

History: I have never been overweight until now. I could always eat whatever I want and never had to worry about weight. I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid in my late 20's. Weight didn't become a problem until around 35. It kept creeping up and up. I don't want it to get any highter. Having hypothyroidism does make it harder to lose weight. I did do South Beach before and lost 10 lbs in a month. Hoping I can stick with it this time!

Plan: Started on South Beach January 1. Plan to go back to Phase 1 because of some bad choices made this week.

Challenges: The vending machine at work. I can stay away from it if I make sure to bring snacks with me to work.

Favorite diet cheat: Pizza and coconut cream pie

Hobbies: Yoga, knitting, reading and gardening (I really miss my garden right now).

Reasons for wanting to lose weight: I want to be healthier and teach my daughter to make smart choices with food. I also want to feel better. Dh has decided to try South Beach. He has already lost 10 lbs. Also, I am being a little vain. I want to lose the fat around my middle.

Kelly J 02-22-2012 08:19 PM

Name: Kelly
Where you live: Western NY
Where you grew up: Central NY

Do you have kids? How old? Daughter 9 and a son, 6

Current job or field of work / studies: Accounting - at least until I figure out what I want to do when I grow up

Why did you choose South Beach? It's worked for me before and the lifestyle makes sense to me

Are you going at this plan by yourself or do you have support (other than us of course)? My husband is on board but probably won't stick to plan 100%

Favorite Color: blue

Favorite Foods: Pasta, good ice cream, red wine

Favorite Exercise: umm, yeah, none - this is part of the weight problem

Problem In Weight Loss: Lack of planning and preparation. That and I hate to cook.

Beyond the facts
Favorite books:too many to list; fave authors are Joshilyn Jackson & Anna Quindlen

Favorite kinds of music / bands: I'll listen to just about anything

Favorite movies: Comedies

Hobbies: Reading, nutrition, yoga -- whether I have time for those is a totally different story

Are you a camping and hiking kind of person or do you prefer less sweaty and “roughing it” kinds of activities? I prefer being pampered in a spa, however I'm married to a very outdoorsy-type person and my kids love camping so my camping/hiking experiences outweigh any spa time by about 100 to 1

The place you’d most like to visit: Hawaii

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: I've started (& stopped) SB a few times over the last three years. This time I'm committed to making it work. I'm tired of having a tummy roll and I'm tired of my clothes not fitting right. I've also got to start setting a better example for my kids.

lilmisschattabox 02-25-2012 03:48 PM

User / Real Name: lilmisschattabox / Alicia

Starting weight/current/goal - 84.1kg(185lb)/81.8kg(180lb)/63kg(139lb)

Marital Status: Long distance currently :( Left my bf in Australia!

Kids: none

Pets: One Rhodesian Ridgeback dog - Chloe, 1 cat - Sphinx

Work: Currently studying animal care with the hope of becoming a vet nurse

Plan: South Beach. I looked at this a while ago but never actually tried it. But I like the foods and it ticks the boxes for me with being able to eat snacks and not having to starve myself! So far really enjoying it and not feeling hungry at all!!

Favorite diet cheat: Wine (missing my red wine lots!!), chocolate, cheese and crackers, lolly cake, pretty much anything yummy will tempt me!

Hobbies: my animals, belly dancing, crochet, reading

Reasons for wanting to lose weight: sick of the scales going up, want to feel healthy and look good, want to buy pretty clothes instead of fat ones that I feel disgusting in! Also gained most of this weight in a really bad relationship so it reminds me of some really bad times - going to feel lighter both physically and mentally when it comes off!!!

Aldergrove BC 02-27-2012 05:14 PM

NAME: Siobhan
BIRTHDAY: December
MARITAL STATUS: Moved in with boyfriend of 8 years, 5 years ago.
Children/ages: not yet.

TOP WEIGHT: 145
START WEIGHT: 145
CURRENT WEIGHT: 145
GOAL WEIGHT:120
HEIGHT: 5' 2"

PETS: 1 dog, 1 cat

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: swimming.

HOME LOCATION: Aldergrove, British Columbia

FAVORITE FOODS: Pasta and Shell Fish.
FAVORITE EXERCISE: Swimming
PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: Binge eater, eat when bored, think if I do bad one day, might as well be off the diet, loose motivation. I just like to eat! lol

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: I have a wedding of a good friends coming up in 7 months and I really want to be able to not worry about what I am going to wear and feeling like I look fat. For once I want to go try on pretty dresses and feel good!

ArmyWifeTDS 03-19-2012 10:12 AM

New and determined

User Name: ArmyWifeTDS- real name Tiffany

Starting weight/current/goal - 247.1/246.3/180 or lower?
Highest weight ever 279.4

Marital Status: Married for almost 13 years to a Soldier in the Army

Kids: Girl 17, boy 12, boy 5

Pets: two chihuahuas : James and Timone

Work: I am a SAHM

Plan: South Beach. I had some success on WW (lost 41lbs.) but when they changed their plan to Points Plus, it did not work for me any longer. I fell off the wagon during a recent military move and gained back 26 of the 41 lbs. I lost. I have out of control cravings and I am insulin resistant. I knew SB worked, so I decided that I wanted to live my life being 'in control' instead of being a slave to my cravings.

Favorite diet cheat: Chocolate or fast food!

Hobbies: reading, gardening

Reasons for wanting to lose weight:I want to stop taking my HBP medication, I want to be active and be able to keep up with my husband and my kids. I want to fit into rollercoaster seats and airplane seats, as well as movie seats without my hips touching the sides. I want to look better and feel better. I am not trying to be "skinny"...I am not made that way, but my goal is to be in a size 14 with a dream size of 12.

GailR 03-26-2012 09:25 AM

User Name: GailR Real Name: Gail

Starting weight/current/goal: 211/203.8/145

Age: 61....but....but...but I'm young! Really! If 60 is the new 40 then I'm 41!

Marital Status: Married for 41 years to a younger man. Okay so he's only months younger!

Children: Two daughters with their own families. Two granddaughters and one grandson.

Pets: No pets but I do have a granddog.

Work: I'm retired. I worked at the University of Delaware.

Plan: I'm new on the Beach. I've completed Phase I. The worst day was Day 12--I would have done serious bodily harm for an apple that day. The next day I was fine. Today is Day 3 on Phase II. I've tried every diet known to mankind to lose weight. And I did only to regain more. The family doctor suggested...no, he insisted...I follow The South Beach diet due to health reasons. And yes, he scheduled me back for a follow-up visit on April 9. This is the first diet (and I'm coming to the realization that this will have to be a lifestyle change for me) I've been on that I haven't been hungry. Except for that hideous Day 12, I have not craved carbs. I love that I don't have to weigh food, count points (WW style), count calories, write stuff down. I feel liberated! Yes, I'm a SB convert.

Favorite diet cheat: Right now...no cheats, but I am looking forward to drinking an occasional glass of wine with an ounce of dark chocolate on Easter Sunday.

Hobbies: Reading, knitting, walking the park with my husband, and being with my family. Not necessarily in that order.

Reasons for wanting to lose weight: I used to want to lose weight to wear a smaller size of clothes. Now it's for my health.

PhoenixRisingAgain 03-26-2012 10:12 AM

Joining in...

Screen Name: PhoenixRisingAgain -- I WILL rise, like the Phoenix!
Starting Wt: 234.8
Goal Wt: 150
Marital Status: married 25 years!
Kids: 15- B & 10- G
Work: Research Biosafety at a large university
Hobbies: Reading/Learning/Dieting, lol
Plan: starting South Beach, but been on waaaaay toooooo maaaaannny....
Other: we are a homeschooling family in which DH is the SAHP; we struggle with 2 autoimmune diseases in our house -- DH has Crohn's and I have RA, yeah, it's interesting
Reasons why I want to lose weight: health first and foremost, I can't deny any longer that this weight affects my RA; second, even with RA, I love love love to ride roller coasters with my son! Only have a few years left of that I bet -- and the seats keep getting smaller each year ;)

The ride may be bumpy, but I am ready to commit to my health and well being! Hang onto yer hat, cause I love to talk!!

phoenix!

tar118 04-16-2012 10:36 PM

User Name: Tar118 Real Name: Taryn

Starting weight/current/goal - 235/216.5/160

Marital Status: 8 1/2 years

Kids: 5yo boy, 3yo girl, 11 mo girl

Work: SAHM

Plan: South Beach

Favorite treat: Brownies

Hobbies: Baking, Gardening, Crafts, Photography, Reading

Reasons for wanting to lose weight: I am not happy with how I look. We want more kids and I absolutely have to lose the baby weight first. I still have 20lb from #3 to lose as well as a few from my first two. After that I'll start tackling the 25lb I gained after we got married and while dealing with a long year of trying to get pregnant.

Mysh RN 04-24-2012 09:35 AM

Bio

User Name: Mysh RN Real Name: Myshelle

Starting wt/current/goal: 220/185/150 or less. Lost the first 20 lbs with WW then switched to SBD.

Marital Status: Engaged, actually going to get married this year after being engaged for 8 yrs!!

Children: Three kids girl, boy, girl ages 13, 12, and 7. My oldest is adopted and my youngest child would have been an only had she been first!!

Pets: A large dog Molly (saint bernard/german shephard) and a tail-less cat Tiger Lily.

Work: I am a nurse clinician for a local group of nephrologists and round on hospital patients.

Plan: I have been on SBD for about 2 weeks, previously I did weight-watchers and lost 20 lbs then did a protein shake thing called Visalus while dabbling at SBD for dinner. I fully committed to only SBD two weeks ago and am just about to transition into phase 2.:D

Food Weakness: SWEETS any and all sweets make my mouth water, cookies, cakes, candy, chocolate, and cupcakes.

Reason for loosing weight: To feel better about myself and to help teach my children to have a better lifestyle so they maybe won't ever have to be in a position to need to lose weight. Also my adopted daughter is extremely obese and I feel like I should set a good example for her to make better eating choices.

jekel383 04-28-2012 08:07 AM

User Name/Name: Jekel (Jennifer)

Starting weight/current/goal -163/151/145

Height: 5'9 3/4"

Marital Status: Divorced

Kids: one 16 year old son

Pets: 2 dogs, Mick and Coconut

Work: I am a caped crusader, crime fighter. Sounds cooler than my "real title"

History: I did not really have to worry about my weight until college. But like most teenage girls I thought I was overweight. Being taller than most of my friends I judged my weight against theirs, which was totally insane. Poor eating and endulging plus lack of exercise lead tommy highest weight of 207 before being pregnant. Topped off at 226 when I delivered my son 16 years ago then finally started to realize I was heading in. dangerous direction.

Through the years I have managed, with help of WW and NS to keep my weight below 175, ranging though from 141 to 163. I seem to lose weight when I pay for it. Sometimes financially, other times it is a medical issue. Recently I was down at my lower range, but self destruction brought me here.

I am tired of my own bad habits and finally admitted to a dear friend that I struggle with emotional binge eating. Just admitting out loud was cathartic and made me accountable to myself. He suggested SB, as he has been following it for years. I was hesitant, but reading the book things just made sense and I thought I needed to try something completely different.

Plan: Started on South Beach April 2012, the day after Easter.

Challenges: Myself! Being my worst critic I tend to focus on what I don't like about myself. Trying each day to embrace the positive things you may not see about me on the surface. I tend to stress and be anxious, which I am working on too.

Favorite diet cheat: Pizza

Hobbies: Gardening, reading, shopping, Broadway (LOVE seeing shows) and my newest hobby cycling/spinning.

Reasons for wanting to lose weight: I want to continue to enjoy an active lifestyle. Be a positive influence on my friends and family who struggle with their weight issues too. I am always putting everyone before myself. However, it is time to take care of me.

1st goal: Being honest with myself
2nd goal: 10%
Final goal: maintain weight 145 or less

mrsdocrocks 05-01-2012 09:02 AM

Basic facts:
Name: Melanie
Age (or general age group): 33
BIRTHDAY: Sept 1
MARITAL STATUS: Married
TOP WEIGHT: 220
SBD STARTING WEIGHT: 213
GOAL WEIGHT: 150 then I'll reevaluate
HEIGHT: 5'4"
EYE COLOR:Brown
HAIR COLOR: Brown

Currently in NY, home is where the Army leads us for a few more years. We would like to settle down on the East coast.

Kids: 3boys ages 2, 6, 14

Pets: (rescued) Mollie the Boston Terrier she is 5 and shares my birthday lol

Current job: homeschooling Mom :)

Why did you choose South Beach? because it has worked for weightloss in the past and an easy lifestyle change, hoping to make it permanent this time ;)

Beyond the facts
Favorite books: it varies
Favorite kinds of music / bands: I like pretty much everything, don't care for today's rap though
Favorite holiday: Christmas
Hobbies: reading, writing, drawing, shopping, camping, cooking, gardening
Passions / obsessions: cooking/shopping lol

FORMER OCCUPATION: I haven't had any career type positions, been raising my babies :)
FAVORITE COLOR: pink & green
FAVORITE FOODS: Mexican, Italian, seafood, chocolate
FAVORITE EXERCISE: Carmen Electra's dvds
PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: emotional eating, stress eating,low self esteem, making poor food choices in general, and lack of regular exercise.
WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL:I am just beyond ready to shed these pounds, I want to be healthy and I want my husband to be able to say WOW look at my wife ;)