3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Hello! I'm new here, saying goodbye to Slimming World and hello to low SBD (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/290109-hello-im-new-here-saying-goodbye-slimming-world-hello-low-sbd.html)

MuchMoreMuchier 11-27-2013 05:15 AM

Hello! I'm new here, saying goodbye to Slimming World and hello to low SBD

Hi guys,

Hello, I'm new :wave:

Having recently become really disheartened with the whole yo-yo dieting that seems to be the way of things for me I have decided to try something else. I had a little read of the top ten diets on the NHS website to see if there was something out there that might suit me better and after reading all the descriptions, pros and cons I think the South Beach Diet sounds much more up my street.

Yesterday I got a copy of The South Beach Diet Supercharged book and spent the evening reading that. I'm still only at the beginning but I am already really interested in the science behind the different types of food we eat, the "good carbs/fats" and the "bad carbs/fats" and actually already feel like this will help me make better food choices. I was also really interested in reading about blood sugar levels and how they affect you and your hunger.

I'm going to start phase 1 on Monday. I just wondered how everyone felt about the diet, is it a massive lifestyle change? I've always massively craved sweet things but I understand that these cravings go away after phase 1 - is that right? Also, is this a really stupid time of year for me to start this - what with it being the Xmas party season? Would I be better off waiting until December is out of the way? I've already been questioning Monday as my start date as I have a get together with the girls for a weekend next weekend where the plan is to make Christmas decorations and drink Bailey's! But also, I appreciate that there is always "something" so I think maybe now is as good a time as any!

Anyway, sorry to have rambled on!

I'm looking forward to getting started :-)

MuchMoreMuchier 11-27-2013 05:32 AM

I've been having a read around on here, there's so much amazing information! I'm very pleased I came across this site. I did chat a bit on another weight loss forum when I was doing Slimming World but the South Beach Diet section was dead, no one had posted for over a year.

I can't believe how much really useful stuff there is on here - thank you all already :carrot:

Now I just need to get the book finished so I can start. I'm already thinking I might start a week on Monday as I have a "girlie weekend" booked in next weekend and I have read a few people say it's best to start when you don't have anything in the way since Phase 1 can be quite hard but before then I'm going to get started with my better food choices.

Lexxiss 11-27-2013 06:08 AM

Welcome!

It sounds like you've already come up with a plan to wait until after your girls weekend to start P1. That's probably a good idea since doing a clean P1 is a integral part of the program, especially when you are ready to get rid of the sugar cravings. It certainly worked for me.

I'm at the age where I was ready for a massive lifestyle change. My DH followed suit and we both feel fantastic! It's hard to believe sometimes, what a radical change we have both made. I find SBD very easy to follow. It took some time to learn all the ins and outs and I kept my book handy for quite awhile while I learned.

This is a great forum! I hope you start hanging out with us on a regular basis. I've found the daily contact to be my best tool for staying OP.

Best wishes!

MuchMoreMuchier 11-27-2013 06:49 AM

Hi Lexxiss, thanks for your reply. I am definitely ready to get rid of my sugar cravings!

It's good to hear you find it easy to follow, I'm going to get the book finished and make sure I understand it well. Also, if I start this in December I can make sure I don't use Christmas time as an excuse to put on even more weight!

WaistingTime 11-27-2013 07:52 AM

Welcome!

For me it really was a big change. And, yes, the cravings went away after time. I've been a yo-yo dieter myself and one year I did go back on plan during the holiday season. It was hard but I felt so much better waking up on January 1 that much thinner when in the past it had been the day to start dieting.

MuchMoreMuchier 11-27-2013 08:08 AM

Thanks WaistingTime. I know Christmas Day itself wont be on any kind of plan, and I don't want it to be either. But I figure that doesn't mean the whole month has to be a write off.

I have already joined the gym and have been going 3 times a week for the past month so that's a start (not lost any weight though! But haven't been dieting either) it will be nice not to start making changes on 1st January and to already have them under way instead.

SunshineMia 11-27-2013 05:32 PM

:welcome3:

I am new too, just joined the board a few days ago and people have been really welcoming. I've been doing SB for about a month now, it took longer than the book suggested for my "cravings" to go away, but they did after a few weeks and even with a long way to go, I feel better and sleep better. I also see the weight loss (even though it's subtle yet) and that make me feel so great! My advice as a fellow newbie would be to check out the recipe pages to keep variety in you meal plan so you won't get bored. Enjoy your girls' weekend!

jekel383 11-27-2013 06:13 PM

Welcome!!! The best time to start is completely up to you. However, you really have an action plan which is great. I too yo-yoed since college. Everything up until now was a "diet." I lost weight, but couldn't maintain. For me, SB has changed my eating completely. I still indulge in naughty food, but as a treat. If i find myself stress eating, it's bean chips a much healthier indulgences. The recipe boards help me tremendously!!! We are a click away anytime you need anything. If the chicks weren't so welcoming, I don't know if I would be so successful. I know you will be too :)

RiverGirl 11-28-2013 12:15 AM

The biggest thing that I found with this way of eating is to plan ahead, dont leave deciding what you are going to eat until you are starving... you are more likely to make a bad decision if you do.

I also, personally find that being creative (if you like to cook that is) definately helps, stops the boredom of a "food rut" where you constantly just eat the same handful of things.

As for christmas, I will go off plan for the day, but try and be on my best behaviour, food wise, for all the days leading up to christmas... besides, there is always some reason to put off getting started. I say, once you feel ready and prepared just go for it!

This is a great forum full of wonderful people who are always there to help with questions, or just lend support.

I recommend stopping by often, and also check out the recipe section, lots of tasty things in there.

Welcome to the Beach!!

PS: I love the name you've chosen, Alice In Wonderland is a favourite of mine.

MuchMoreMuchier 11-28-2013 04:54 AM

Oh what a welcoming bunch of people you are! I already feel the support is going to make a difference. I'm definitely going to check out the recipe section - I think what I'm going to do is plan my meals using the recipe threads for every day of phase 1 in advance so that I won’t be at a loose end during any of those days. Is anyone able to recommend any recipe books? I know there are a few out there.

SunshineMia – nice to know I’m not the only newbie! It’s also good to hear it’s going well for you. I’m particularly pleased to hear you are sleeping better as diets in the past have had the opposite effect on me. And I love my sleep!

Jekel383 – they change of my eating in general is the thing that appeals to me most about SBD. Even though I haven’t actually started yet I have already started making better choices :D

RiverGirl – I think everyone’s allowed to go off plan for Christmas! But as you say, I think it’s best for me to start now since I’m feeling ready for it. December is probably the worst month of the year for indulgences so I don’t want to put another stone on before I start! I would be nice to have LOST some weight ready for me new year rather than it being the other way around.

All that said I am going to take my OH out for dinner on Saturday night, and I‘m going to have what I want, as I imagine it’ll be a few months after getting started before I will want to go to a restaurant again. So I’m going to enjoy the next week (not binge!) and then get going with Phase 1. I’m doing the food shopping for the month this weekend and already have my healthy shopping list written out!

MuchMoreMuchier 11-28-2013 05:50 AM

PS - Alice in Wonderland, you can't beat it ;-)

Beth19 11-28-2013 06:55 AM

MuchMoreMuchier, welcome!
You asked about cookbooks. Personally, I bought 1 SB cookbook but compared to this site I hardly ever use. I find the variety here is outstanding, plus some of the chicks have mentioned other sites which are useful. One great example is

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/

I know some of the other chicks own the cookbooks but not me. Once you learn the principles it is also possible to modify some of your own recipes.
Just my two cents worth.

GoodnessGracious 11-28-2013 10:56 AM

I'm also new and excited to get started (tomorrow, of course). I like reading the threads where people post their daily menus. It shows that you don't have to starve to lose weight on SB.

I'm a champion yo-yo dieter and am looking to change that.

Good luck on your new journey!

MuchMoreMuchier 11-29-2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth19 (Post 4891279)
MuchMoreMuchier, welcome!
You asked about cookbooks. Personally, I bought 1 SB cookbook but compared to this site I hardly ever use. I find the variety here is outstanding, plus some of the chicks have mentioned other sites which are useful. One great example is

kalynskitchen.com

I know some of the other chicks own the cookbooks but not me. Once you learn the principles it is also possible to modify some of your own recipes.
Just my two cents worth.

That site is really good! Thanks! I might just try getting my recipes from here and the net first before I go forking out any money then :)

MuchMoreMuchier 11-29-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodnessGracious (Post 4891401)
I'm also new and excited to get started (tomorrow, of course). I like reading the threads where people post their daily menus. It shows that you don't have to starve to lose weight on SB.

I'm a champion yo-yo dieter and am looking to change that.

Good luck on your new journey!

And good luck to you too!