South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #1  
Losing to live longer.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Amy's glutten free organic burrito

http://www.amys.com/products/product...d-wraps/000353

What I am talking about.

I have had a couple of their products, because of the nature of my illness sometimes I just can't get up and make myself food.
Lately I have been having a lot of issues with stomach acid, really really badly so I have to eat carbs to calm it down (the medicine I take for my lupus does not let me have antiacids), so I opted for whole grain things.

I tried just having chicken and salad, spinach to be specific, it was pretty horrible, my body needs that extra stuff until I get better to absorb the acid.
So, I love amy's vegetable pot pies, but I only have them when I am sick and never the inside, just the crust, because it's good and doughy and it absorbs the acid.

I also remember to have enough vegetables, so far though, that is not enough protein, so I tried these:
http://www.amys.com/products/product...d-wraps/000353

It is made with garbanzo flour, they are glutten free, have brown rice, and are all organic. The ingredient list does include some potato starch and things like that but they are toward the end of the list.
This with a big salad is helping me and it has a lot of fiber.

What do you chicks think? I have had to go back to bland foods a few times because I was so sick my stomach could not digest whole grain, and that made me really sad, but once I was better I went back to whole grain and I lost the lbs relatively easy (I am still hanging around the 220s, I don't seem to be able to get down and have been getting sick consistently, I need to go see the doc I know, but in the meantime...).

I am really not that fond of meat as I used to be, I find myself eating less and less of it, but that becomes tricky when I need the protein.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

In my opinion.... This product definately does not meet SBD guidelines; that being said, your general feeling of well being is more important than strictly ahereing to any diet/lifestyle plan. I feel that for things to work in the long run, and for us to be able to stick with them, we have to be able to bend those rules to our own, personal needs (especially when there is an illness involved).

That is just my two cents.
RiverGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I'm with Lindsay, your health is above everything else.

I mostly follow south beach (I use that term very lightly lately ), but when I have an upset stomach? carbs it is. I crave them, I think because my body wants something easier to digest. I actually get aversions to the fiber...so I just do what my body says. I know the lady down the road just had a major episode of hemorrhage gastroenteritis (blood transfusion and everything), and her prescibed diet was definately not south beach!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #4  
Losing to live longer.

Thank you all, yeah, my belly needs to be fixed first . I still do yogurt and oatmeal in the morning, and veggies and such, my stomach just really needs the carbs right now to absorb the acid until I am better.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I am confused - can't you eat wheat bread? Or sourdough? Because we can have carbs on SBD. Just the right carbs (the two breads above included).

Personally, I'd take a 100% whole wheat wrap, make some brown rice and mix it with some refried beans, add some salsa and blam-o!

I too have to eat processed foods for my stomach condition - I stick to, when on Ph2, Kashi meals that are Ph2 friendly. I need to have processed foods to give the digestive system a rest. I also have a great medicine to help for when I opt to go pure ph1

Anyway, good luck!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #6  
Losing to live longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne1017 View Post
I am confused - can't you eat wheat bread? Or sourdough? Because we can have carbs on SBD. Just the right carbs (the two breads above included).

Personally, I'd take a 100% whole wheat wrap, make some brown rice and mix it with some refried beans, add some salsa and blam-o!

I too have to eat processed foods for my stomach condition - I stick to, when on Ph2, Kashi meals that are Ph2 friendly. I need to have processed foods to give the digestive system a rest. I also have a great medicine to help for when I opt to go pure ph1

Anyway, good luck!
I eat wheat bread yes, the only problem is that with Lupus sometimes I don't have the energy to cook up anything with protein in it, so a burrito is easy to pop into the microwave and just eat for protein and carbs both.

I have some Kashi cereal at night otherwise I will be in pain in the middle of the night, I did not know about the Kashi meals, what's blam-o?