South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #1  

Default Finished Phase 1, But thinking about changing - help?

I finished phase 1 two days ago, but did 12 days instead of 14. I'm feeling good. The shakes (reactive hypoglycemia) followed me for nearly a week or more of Phase 1. I'm finally at a good place, even avoiding the chocolate cake I made for the fam today, not touching a bite - like the sugar is out of me, and I don't have the craving for it. But, now that I'm ready to lose weight, I'm considering some of the other *faster* methods of weight loss (Optifast, Ideal Protein, etc.). I appreciate how SB is more about a lifestyle change, but it seems that the weight will take awhile to come off using this approach, will it not? The other plans are mad expensive, but the idea of losing weight rapidly (and thus, feeling better, and more able to exercise, etc) is enticing. Any advice? Should I stick it out for Phase 2? has anyone done phase 1 extended, since the weight loss is a little bit faster?
RubesOnaDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Wow.

Like you said, this is a lifestyle change. If you do the shakes etc (reading the ingredients themselves make ill!), what do you plan to do to maintain? That's why so many put the weight back on with the shakes...they know how to lose, and don't know how to eat to keep it off. Those diets teach you nothing on how to live.

The other thing is, is that south beach is...just plain eating healthy. You really can't say that about some shakes made in a factory with ingredients you can't name. SBD highly avoids processed foods. You are feeding your body what it is meant to have.

How much weight did you lose in phase I? How much do you want to lose? Many people do stick to phase I longer, but mainly if they have a lot of weight to lose. It's too restrictive, and it makes you discouraged. Also, you won't lose weight rapidly after the first week, which some are hopeful for.

By looking at the threads on "phase I.5", you'll see many of us slowly transition over to phase II. It lets you figure out what are your trigger foods, and when. For instance, some can not eat oatmeal in the morning, since it triggers cravings. I love apples, but I better have peanut butter with them, otherwise I'm eating the whole pantry in an hour.

Good luck! We'd love to see you hanging out here with us!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #3  

Thanks for responding. I have lost about 6 lbs. I'm at 200 even, with a total of 65 I'd like to lose. I'll try going to the phase 1.5 threads, if i can find them. I've been trying to incorporate some grains (WW pasta, Kashi Go Lean high protein cereal) (watching portion sizes) and fruit (pomegranate). So far, no cravings with these foods. odd, seems the cravings come from my tastebuds & not my stomach, if that makes sense. Had the opportunity to overeat last night (finish my son's portion of food...), but I acknowledged that my stomach was full, so what I wanted to eat was really unnecessary.
RubesOnaDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I agree with Twynn. Fast doesn't always mean better. I think taking a while, albeit somewhat frustrating at times for the numbers on the scale, teaches me how to eat better. It also helps me to appreciate that the numbers on the scale aren't the only numbers that matter: my energy levels, my measurements and not to mention, pants/shirt sizes.

Phase 1.5 is a good idea so that you learn what triggers cravings (times of day you are eating those items, certain items, etc.) and can adjust as needed.

Good luck!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote