South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #1  
Losing to live longer.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Protein powder used in recipes.

I have heard of whey and such things, and I am not sure what the stance is for SB.

I am speaking of things like these:
http://heidipowell.net/2790/cinnacoc...otein-cookies/

and

http://heidipowell.net/853/peanut-butter-power-fudge/

Perhaps it's too much fat? What should our guidelines be?

I try recipes a lot and would like some advice on this if anyone has tried it or if you think it's a bad idea. I am on Phase 2.
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I do a lot of baking with almond meal (elana's pantry) and just make sure I count that as my nut serving for the day. So far no problems for me. Just make sure you figure out the serving size based on ingredients. I have tried some protein powder baking and don't usually like it as much.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 193.8/188.6/160

Protein powder can be added to food/recipes you are already using.

I don't bake cookies or other sweets because I don't care for them but I do add protein powder occasionally to some of my healthy whole grain bread and whole grain muffin recipes, oatmeal, yogurt, and eggs, to give them that extra protein punch.

The following links have some good recipes using protein powder.

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/...hakes/#slide-1

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog...protein_powder

http://www.theathletarian.com/2012/0...hie-popsicles/

http://www.julielohre.com/index.php/...r-recipes.html
seachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 AM   #4  
Losing to live longer.

Thank you! I figured out that I really really like smoothies, I usually use greek yogurt for the protein, and half a small banana or the 3/4 cup of berries we are allowed as a serving. Those recipes can be modified of course, I figured two cookies as a serving is good and because the recipe only makes that much it's even better.
If there are any recommendations on brands of protein powder I would very much appreciate it, thanks for the links!
Old 09-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

If you have a health food store nearby it might be worth talking to someone. I was able to get some samples. It will depend on your tolerance for grit. Some powders are really gritty and some are very smooth. I can't remember all the ones I tried now but I used hemp for awhile. It is gritty but I didn't mind it. Whey is usually really smooth. I've also used raw protein powder and like that. Some varieties are sweetened with stevia so beachable. I don't use any of the super flavored, artificially sweetened varieties so don't know how they are.

There are so many varieties now it can be a hard decision. Decided what ingredients you do/do no want and what texture you prefer than look for samples if you can. These days I keep Suzys Whey for baking breakfast oatcakes and Raw Protein for days I want a smoothie without dairy but usually I' a cheesecake smoothie fan - cottage cheese and greek yogurt for protein.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 193.8/188.6/160

Here are 3 protein powders I have found over the years that I like......

Nature's Plus Spiru-tein
Solaray Soytein
Natural Factors SlimStyle (just basic chocolate, strawberry & vanilla flavors but very good as a thick shake or pudding on it's own)

All non-gritty. I discovered Spiru-tein after I had been using both the Solaray & Natural Factors brands for a number of years. Even though I like them all the Spiru-tein has become my favorite. I love smoothies and with or without fruit this line of protein shakes has over 20 flavors to choose from.

I buy mine from Super Supplements. They carry some flavors in-store but prices are cheaper on-line and of course you have more variety to choose from. I order on-line and order several flavors at a time because over $49 you get free shipping and there is no tax because it is a food item. Being in the Seattle area (where SS is based) my shakes are usually on my doorstep next day.

http://www.supersup.com/nsearch/?pag...protein+powder

Last edited by seachick; 09-10-2013 at 11:47 AM.
seachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #7  
Losing to live longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seachick View Post

I buy mine from Super Supplements. They carry some flavors in-store but prices are cheaper on-line and of course you have more variety to choose from. I order on-line and order several flavors at a time because over $49 you get free shipping and there is no tax because it is a food item. Being in the Seattle area (where SS is based) my shakes are usually on my doorstep next day.

http://www.supersup.com/nsearch/?pag...protein+powder
I am also near the Seattle area.
Thanks so much everyone for the info, right now I am doing fine with the greek yogurt but there might come a time when I need "dessert" type things, and I rather be full while eating them so I don't fall off the wagon.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #8  
Working on healthy

I really love Elana's Pantry and Chocolate Covered Katie for dessert things. You might have to substitute ingredients a bit, I use coconut nectar in place of honey, but they are healthier treats. Elana's with the almond or coconut flour are also just more filling. Also more calories, so watch portion size but I like them when I want to grab something that is more than just empty calories. I don't use any artificial sweeteners or agave but you could also sub those if you use them.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #9  
Losing to live longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
I really love Elana's Pantry and Chocolate Covered Katie for dessert things. You might have to substitute ingredients a bit, I use coconut nectar in place of honey, but they are healthier treats. Elana's with the almond or coconut flour are also just more filling. Also more calories, so watch portion size but I like them when I want to grab something that is more than just empty calories. I don't use any artificial sweeteners or agave but you could also sub those if you use them.
I have a real fear of any sweeteners that are not splenda or stevia. Mostly because I have 2/3 of my pancreas left, and I am at risk for developing diabetes (it's in the family too), so I am not sure using something like say palm sugar would be a good idea. I have coconut flour and have been looking into using it somewhere else that is not as soup thickener.
So far I have made the bean brownies and I got tired of them. Thank you for the resources .