South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Default Wild Wednesday Beach Chat 7/23

Good morning everyone. Debbie thanks for fixing my post. I realized it after I was done oops I cannot wait to hear about the wedding!!

Glad to hear all are well

Penmage what part of Ohio are you from? Hope the phone interview went well. We leave Friday for Millersburgh (Holmes County). I am not even close to being ready!!!

Wild day in store at work. Two scheduled protests. I do have an early out as I must get to the hospital to pick up my ultra sound films for the surgeon. Maybe I will actually clean and pack tonight.

Train time be back later. Have a great OP day...Tammy I am glad it was not a full loaf because I devoured all of the zucchini bread lol
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Morning Jekel! I'm in NE Ohio, Stark County. You'll be about an hour away from me! Please let me know if you need anything while you're in my neck of the woods.

I woke up this morning and was wide awake and convinced it was like 7am already- it was 12:30. I have yet to get back to sleep! I had an "uh oh" last night. I tutor a high school student on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the evening. I completely lost track of the day and went out to dinner last night instead! Oops... fortunately I texted her when I got back to my phone and she had forgotten about it too, so it worked out

Have a great day, chicks!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

Hi all, just a quick question if i may. Im following a low gi plan which a few people have said is very similar to phase 2 of SB, is it true? Can i hang out here then?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Rechyl. Yes, South Beach IS a low GI diet and should work well for you. And OF COURSE you can hang out with us.

Linda and I are managing to fill in the time during her visit. She's such an easy house guest. Yesterday she made that massaged kale salad which was just wonderful. The dogs are in love with her. Not sure what's on today's agenda but it will probably involve food, wine and lots of chat.

Happy Hump Day to us all.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I wish I could be with you and Linda, Ruth....sounds like you are having a lovely time!

Jennifer, did you find out the route you're taking for your trip? Hope the protests go smoothly for you. I am quite glad that 3FC doesn't allow politics discussions .

Penmage - bummer! Glad it worked out perfectly though!

Rechyl - welcome! Are you following a particular plan?

I think I need extra coffee today. DS kept waking us up last night ("I'm scaaaarrrreeed"), which I hope he'll stop doing soon!

I'm not looking forward to today...my schedule at work isn't bad (for once, thank you very much), but my last task to do is to euthanize my surgery tech's dog at the end of her shift . She asked yesterday, since I put mine down in October, if waiting and knowing was 1/2 the battle. Yes, I would agree with that. I think today will definately be a "play the radio" kind of day. And maybe I should stock up on wine tonight...
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #6  

im basically following the low gi "rules" using several books and many an internet site such as http://www.lowgidiet.net/pages/lowgiwhat.shtml to know what low gi foods are and trying to eat them more often. I have also limited myself to around 1400 calories a day when not working out and 1550 when i do.

One of the books i have says to aim for half a plate of low gi veg, 1/2 lean protein and the other 1/4 of wholegrains or legumes at each meal.

An example day for me is;
Breakfast - Porridge with dried apricots
snack - a handful of brazil nuts or some stone fruits (or a mix of the two but less)
lunch - a large salad with spinach, a few raw carrot strips, cucumber, baby plum tomatoes, sometimes a little cheese, some protein (chicken or ham usually but once in a while tuna or an egg). I can eat this without any dressing but sometimes ill have a little french dressing. An alternate lunch is a mixed bean and egg salad with onion and spinach and garlic powder.

i dont normally have an afternoon snack but if i do it is usually stone fruits or sometimes a little cheese or a yogurt or if i didnt have nuts in the morning a handful of nuts.

Dinner is usually a whole heap of low gi veg, chicken/turkey and a 50g (dry weight) serving of wholewheat pasta or some rice. I make an awesome chilli at times. Or i have a big bowl of chicken broth with barley and lentils in or some stew (food like that).

loosely these principles http://www.lowgidiet.net/pages/lowgimealideas.shtml

And of course im trying to move more, but in one week i have hurt my knee to the point of it aching all the time and stabbing pains when i fully bend or straighten it and put weight on it, done something to my ankle (im worried ive pulled my achilles) and hurt both shoulders - just muscle pain so should be gone in a day or two. Spoke to my friend who has just joined the army and is in training and he has told me to look at this as good pain, the kind of pain that will make me stronger and get me where i want to be (and deep down i know he is right).

Last edited by Rechyl; 07-24-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning! This is Linda, posting, under Ruth's username. She just left with Disney for a vet visit, so I thought I'd check in and catch up with everyone.

Welcome, Rechyl! From what I read about a low GI diet, it sounds like it's pretty close to the SBD guidelines and you are very welcome to join us. Is there any particular reason why you are doing a low GI diet?

I bet you're getting excited about your trip to Millersburg, Jennifer, and I know you're going to have a wonderful time! I've seen many pictures of the Amish farms in the area, and it looks just lovely!

Penmage, I'm glad it all worked out OK with you forgetting about your tutoring student. I guess a nice long nap will be on the agenda for you today after being up all night, eh?

My sympathies with you today at work, Tammy. That has to be one of the toughest parts of your profession.

I'm having a wonderfully relaxed visit here with Ruth, and it's funny how we never seem to run out of things to talk about! Yesterday we went out to breakfast, then Ruth took me on some wild ride on a gravel road through the backwoods on a roundabout way home. I really felt like I was in the wilds of Canada! Later, we went over to the fairgrounds to check out the school art work and watch the rides and concession stands being assembled, and I'm really looking forward to the fair opening tomorrow. I think when Ruth gets back this morning, we're going to take a leisurely drive down to the river and have lunch at a wonderful restaurant we discovered on one of my previous visits in Ivy Lea, where you can sit out on the patio and watch the boats.
Well, wee Jazz is sitting beside me here with his paws gently patting my lap, wanting some attention, so I'm going to cuddle with him for a while. Have a great day!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #8  

Hi Linda.

I was having some health issues - dizziness, fainting and constant fatigue. I went to the doctors and ended up being taken to A&E to see a cardiologist. All the test so far have come back fine (just waiting on my 24 hour tape results). The only thing mentioned was my blood sugar reading was 5.2 which they said was on the low side. When i got home i mentioned to above mentioned army friend and he said he had felt like that (without the fainting) before and had read how a low gi diet can help regulate sugar levels and is often good for people with pre diabetes and also can be good for weight loss as you tend to feel fuller longer and so snack less and maybe binge less. As diabetes runs in my family and with my sugar being low i thought it wouldnt hurt to give it a go and so here i am.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning,

Jekel I would be in count down mode have fun

Penmage how did your interview go?

Rechyl welcome to our thread

Tywnn that is why I could not do your job keep strong

Cottage and Ruth it sounds like you are having a lovely time together and it makes me ready to book my flight to go see my BFF in Florida.

DD1 birthday was yesterday but she had to work but she came home for dinner so I made dinner and did buy a cake for her. She loved her moose themed items we got her for her birthday (PJ's and earrings). Tonight is haircuts and that is all on my agenda other than working today.

Have a wonderful day everyone
Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning Fly by today. Had one of those too many things on my brain can't sleep nights. Why do those always happen when I have a really long day ahead? Oh well, need to get going on the list of things to do.

Happy hump day!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 5"

Morning chicks!
Productive morning for me so far: PT and some house cleaning. It rained overnight so I will wait for the grass to finish drying before I check on the garden. We're having a cool day today, which is a nice change from the 90s of last week.

Jennifer, may the protests be peaceful!
penmage, any word on the interview?
Ruth and Linda, glad you're having a good visit.
Tammy, I remember how heartbreaking it was to put my dog down.
Rechyl, welcome!
Cyndi, may you be successful in tackling the to do list.
Pearlrose, have a good day at work.

Have a great hump day, all!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Interview update:

I spoke to the CFO on the telephone yesterday for nearly 30 minutes. He seemed to like my answers and appreciated that while I don't have any accounting experience (hard to get experience when no one will hire you without it...) I'm eager and willing to learn. He indicated that he had a few more phone interviews to conduct this week, and would then be bringing in people beginning next week for in-person interviews. Hoping I'm in that group!

I'll let you know when I hear anything
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #13  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi!
We made it to Minneapolis and are on the small plane to bemidji. Kirks dd's called and said they'd meet us. The fam home is 45 min from the airport. We still have the vitamin lol and are planning a stop at the local coop. That sounds fun!
See y'all later .
Closed Thread