3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   New member introduction and QUESTIONS! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/273171-new-member-introduction-questions.html)

EliseVi 01-11-2013 12:35 PM

New member introduction and QUESTIONS!

Hi. I'm on day 11 of Phase One of South Beach. I'm excited to join this group because every time I Googled questions about SoBe, the 3FC discussions that popped up in my search results were very helpful!

I am afraid that in my first-week enthusiasm, I have shut down my metabolism. Afraid isn't the right word: I'm terrified! I'm tracking all of my food and exercise and saw that in the first week I ate an average of 1000 cals/day (3 days were below 700) and burned an average of 840 cals/day. Shockingly, I wasn't hungry. In the first week, I lost 8.6 pounds. I'm now in the middle of the second week of Phase 1 and have put back on 1/2 a pound.

I've read in some of the forums that increasing dairy consumption helps to add calories and burn fat. I'm relieved to read that because I thought that the official SoBe said to limit dairy to two servings per day. I'm also going to make sure I start eating my 15 walnut halves/day.

Logically, I know that I should feel successful and proud about maintaining a healthy diet, but stagnating in week two and being worried about negative long-term impact of my eating/exercise habits are making me wonder if I should stop this diet? I'm desperate to lose this weight.

I'm open to any/all advice. Specific questions: I know that I won't be able to maintain burning so many calories per day in the long-term; should I limit my exercise now? Also, I was planning on staying on Phase 1 until I reached 180 pounds; is that reasonable?

Thank you in advance! Again, I'm so happy to find an online support community!

Ruthxxx 01-12-2013 12:11 PM

:welcome: and I am going to move your Intro Post over to the South Beach Forum. You'll get lots of suggestions there.

TwynnB 01-12-2013 12:54 PM

I did the exact same thing on phase I, but a smaller version....lost 6 lbs week one, and gained one lb the second week. It was sooo encouraging week 1, and then felt like a bubble burst! Just remember, this is not a miracle diet...most of your weight loss was water weight, and then get rid of cravings....it is a change in the way you eat. You will probably do what a typical diet does...which is lose 1/2 - 2 lbs/week.

I do think you need to make sure you get enough calories...I would often eat nuts in the evening to get me above 1000 calories.

Welcome!! Hope it works for you!!

Also - I personally wouldn't stay on phase I. You aren't going to drop 5 lbs a week, and it is very restrictive. Read the threads carefully on how to transition though, otherwise it is *really* easy to fall off the wagon.

And I swear I lost weight more easily by eating my yogurt every day! ;)

WaistingTime 01-12-2013 06:26 PM

Welcome!

I agree with everything Twynn wrote.

It is very common to have a weight loss pattern like that during PH1. My personal theory is that you are initially losing a lot of water weight and then your body and the scale play catch up.

I do think you need to consider eating more. Just the other day on Dr. Oz the experts were discussing how women shouldn't go below 1200 calories because of how your metabolism will react, slowing down because it thinks you are starving.

TwirlingStar 01-13-2013 12:20 PM

Where can I get some good information about the south beach diet? I've never tried it. PM me

Ruthxxx 01-13-2013 03:01 PM

Amber, you can get the South Beach information form the South Beach Book. Check out your library. You can also find info in the main Forum under Diets here http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet/diets/

You cannot get or send PMs until you have been here 20 days and have 20 posts.

EliseVi 01-13-2013 11:08 PM

Ruthxxx, thank you for moving my post!

TwynnB and WaistingTime, thank you for your feedback and tips. I'll be sure to eat the 1200 cals/day now. It seems ridiculous that with so much fat to lose, my body could go into starvation mode, but now I know it can! If daily yogurt works, then it's my new favorite!

I guess I got carried away and started fantasizing about losing five pounds/week. I'm going to look for the threads re. the transition to Phase 2 because I'm hesitant about bringing carbs back into my life and keeping them under control!

Vicky464 01-14-2013 10:02 AM

Hi Everyone
Started South Beach last week, so I am on day8 of phase 1. So far it is going well. I really am enjoying the ability to be free of my sugar cravings. Yesterday was a challenge, a friend came over with his homemade mousse, and I felt obligated to try it. The night before we were at a party and I managed to stay on plan, no wine, no dessert, etc. My husbands doing it with me. It's great to have his support. He loves eating eggs in the morning (I don't ). Starting to think of transitioning to phase 2. Need to get some info on this. Seems like many people add only one fruit per day for the first week, then a second or a grain for week 2.

My stats are 5'4" started at 202, current 198. Goals of 170(per preg weight) and 150 (ore marriage weight). Haven't been that weight in 15 years.