Tuesday Daily Beach Chat, 10/30

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I sure didn't expect to wake up to lights and hot coffee this morning, but I sure am appreciative! I think we were very lucky to be spared, because I don't see any lights over on the next block or in the shopping center. Dustin and Andrea just left to drive around and look at the damage, but we seemed to have made it unscathed, and our basement is dry, thank the good Lord.

I hope everyone else in Sandy's path makes it through safely, and please be careful if you do venture out.
  • Linda, I'm certainly glad to hear from you this morning! I've been watching the news and there is certainly great devastation. I'll keep everyone in my thoughts today as I venture out to work.

Take care everyone!
  • Good morning.

Linda - Glad to hear you are fine. I hope we have the other east coast chicks all checking in.

I had an interesting and long visit with my internist yesterday who does not think I have thrush. She suspects a rare autoimmune disease and did some blood work (to rule out other stuff, I think) and is having me see a dermatologist and an ENT. I'm not convinced so hope the other doctors have a simpler diagnosis.

I'm off to yoga this morning, work this afternoon, and book club tonight.

Catch you later.
  • Western NY here, we didn't lose power, but they cancelled all schools in the area last night. I'm wondering this morning if they jumped the gun a bit. Not much happening out there right now!

All is good here. yesterday was day 1 of phase 2. All I added was about 1/2 cup brown rice with dinner. I'll do that for the week, and see how it goes.

Must get ready for work. Have a great day everyone!
    Laurie
  • WOO HOO, we have power too! I woke up at 4 am with the wind whipping around the house pretty good, and kept glancing over to see if the clock was still on (and praying the tree didn't fall on the house...), but it's all good! I thought the eye was hitting here around 10 am....but haven't looked yet. 3FC is more important to check .

I have work, but the DH and kids have the day off. Good! That means they get to make supper! We'll see how many of my appointments cancel...

Glad all you other chicks are good so far. Especially you Linda...you're right at the bad spot! Yeah for hot coffee!
  • OOPS, maybe I wrote too soon....it will be passing over us today...it will be windy/rainy all day again. I hope I have my hot coffee tomorrow am too!
  • I'm glad that you're not getting it too bad, Laurie, and that you still have power, Tammy. But even though I live where the eye of the storm passed over, it looks like northern NJ, NYC, and Connecticut are the ones who got hit bad. There's damage around here and lots of power outages, but all in all, it isn't as bad as we were expecting.
  • Glad to hear from some of.the eastern chickies hope everyone else can check in saying prayers for the areas hit the hardest.
  • We never even lost power here in Vermont though lots of people did. So far all our family in Boston, New Haven, and upstate NY are okay. Glad to hear all of you are too.

Now I need to decide about work today. So many schools closed and power outages that it seems silly to be out on the roads.
  • PTL that the some East Coast chickies have checked in - now to hear from the rest of us. Tammy, better wear your diver's boots if you go out there today. Even way up here out of Sandy's wrath, we lost power and trees overnight. It's back on this morning and already the buzz of chain saws had begun. My lane and dog yard are OK but I;m sure the back field treeline will need some clean-up.

Yesterday was a strange day. I woke up feeling ill so cancelled out on gym. Went to town to shop with Donna and ended up doing Chinese Buffet. Did get the H. crud to give out and it is still in the trunk. Everyone we met was worried about the hurricane, just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Not sure what's happening today. Just checked and our schools are open - guess it's just the wind for now.

The Mayor and Council are on full alert and setting up contingency plans for when we get Sandy's "remains" later this week. I suspect she may be pretty tired out by then but ... I am trying not to get involved in this but we'll see. Nice that they care. Someone on the news said "These are the times when our humanity rises or falls - may we rise."

On we go through a very strange day. If you are affected by this, be safe and check in when you can.
  • Holy cow that was the scariest storm I have ever seen!!! I grew up in Hampton Bays and thought hurricane Gloria was terrible. I don't get scared easily but this scared the poop out of my little dog. Transformer one block over blew and he literally pooped. My older dog had the same reaction last year when the one across the street went during Irene.

We have power thankfully. Lost it multiple times, but it held strong. My casualties (huge black walnut tree, my shed and dig kennel) are nothing to worry about. A tree landed on a house a few towns over killing their two children, mom and dad were spared. There was a fire on the next block, preyed like crazy for the families to be ok. Retrieved my wishing well and other household items from my neighbors yards before coffee. Schools closed today. if I venture out, it will only be around the corner to the store. Very glad to hear our chicks are safe
  • good afternoon,

so glad to hear that everyone is safe. We had very little happening here, its a good thing. Anyways, hope everyone continues to be safe. Off to check more things on my to do list.
    take care
    sophie
  • Jennifer, I had a feeling you were going to get hit the worst...thanks for checking in with us. Wow quite a storm for sure! I haven't seen the news since I left for work early this morning.
  • Debbie I am grateful as it just horrific the damage the news is showing. I am going in at 3am because of the after effects of the storm. Mother Nature was angry, really super duper angry. I hope she got it put of her system once and for all. Schools here will be closed for the remainder of the week as most do not have power. My son is just devastated lol. Still watching the news makes me very anxious. Dies this mean I am a grown up? My friend Joe is two counties north (about 1.5 hours) they barely had any wind or rain. Tony's Pier an iconic restaurant on City Island in the Bronx burned to the ground. So many people lost their homes and loved ones. I cannot even imagine how they are functioning today. When I retire I hope it is to a state with uneventful weather, if there is such a place
  • I am guilty of being a MIA South Beacher but I had to check in to see how Cottage in Philly and Jekel in NYC are!! Jekel the news footage is unbelievable and I'm so glad your home and loved ones are safe, prayers to the poor folks who are suffering.