Not cheating, not losing

• Im being so good on phase two. I've yet to move off week one and I only have one serving of complex carb, no fruit. Eating lots of veggies. Drinking lots of water. Working out.
    Not dropping for a few weeks now.
    Has this happened to anyone else?
  • I think it's happened to about everyone! It's very frustrating, then BOOM! The scale goes down again. Don't get discouraged, keep with it, and remember this is a change in lifestyle. I lost 20 lbs in 2008, and it took me 4 mos.

But, most chicks will post their menu here for evaluation, and make sure there's no where to tweak it to help out.
  • yup! It happens to everyone on every diet. Try doing a little light exercising. Maybe a short walk. Hang in there.
  • don't give up!

And yes, post a menu so we can see if there is anywhere to help. My first 3 weeks on Ph 2, I gained 1 pound. Then in that 4th week, I lost 5.
  • Scorp - I'm feeling the same. I've been kind of stuck in the same weight range for the past 2 months. I'm going to *stray* from strict South Beach for a week to do a Plateau busting shake diet. It's not really straying because nothing I'll be eating is off the SB plan - it just has a huge focus on supplements, plant based protein shakes, etc. The Evening meal is pure SB Phase one, but more limiting (no cheese). I've lost 10 lbs since starting SB in April, and if I didn't have a goal event, slow and steady would be just fine. I'll keep checking in, since I like this board. I'll message you if this helps break me out of the 160 rut!
  • I can't do a non-counting diet, because I can't trust my hunger/appetite to reign in my eating. I've tried to find ways to distinguish "true hunger" from "false hunger," but to me, it's all hunger (especially during PMS/TOM week).

So when I was on South Beach, I went back to my default system of exchange plan dieting (I've been doing exchange plans so long, that I have most foods memorized). I modeled by plan on one of the reduced-carb exchange plans (like the ones on the frugalabunance.com website) and added a few "floating exchanges" (because I like to have some discretionary exchanges) so I took the 1500 calorie exchange plan and then added 5 optional exchanges (and I could "spend" them on fruit, dairy, protein, or starch exchanges). So my calorie intake fell in the 1500 - 2000 range, and averaged about 1800 (I could have just picked an 1800 calorie exchange, but I find that having extra exchanges to use on extra hungry is less discouraging).

I ended up tweaking the exchange plan (stopped allowing myself to use starches for the optional exchanges, because they tend to make me too hungry to want to stay on plan).

Exchange plans allow you (like straight calorie-counting) to eat anything you want - and I knew that didn't work very well for me, because eating high-carb foods triggers such bad hunger that I inevitably end up overeating.

So, I used the exchange plan for portion/calorie control, and I used South Beach principles to guide my food choices, for hunger control.

I eventually transitioned from South Beach to a lower-carb/higher fat plan (still using exchange plans to control portions), and then to Paleo eating (finding that most grains tend to trigger the hunger issues).

I do eat some grains, but not many (and sometimes when I do, I end up regretting it, either because of rebound hunger, or because most grains trigger some skin issues I have).

I'm not saying you have to add a calorie-control element (or if you decide to that it has to be an exchange plan), but you might consider trying it. Or try something else. You don't have to deviate from South Beach in any way at all, but you may have to add or change something to get success.

One thing I've found helpful, regardless of what food plan I'm on, and whether or not I've deviated from my counting, is to keep the "rules" casual. I don't beat myself up when I don't follow the plan's rules or my own. I just keep in mind that if I'm not seeing success, it does not mean I'm failing - it means I'm getting more information I can use to tweak my plan as I need to.

Even weight loss stalls and gains aren't failure, they're just information. Rather than getting upset, I can see the patterns and use them to help me decide what thing I can try changing.
  • Scorpgrl, don't give up and don't stop. I went into Phase II with some reluctance because I was doing very well in Phase I, and have quite a bit to lose. But, the books says not to stick around in Phase I too long. I added in one whole grain bread serving (low carb rye bread from a lo-carb cook book my husband had) and stuck like a dart thrown in a board. Nothing budging either way. Dang it! I was so disheartened. My husband said "don't worry about it, don't stress on it and don't give up!" Bless him. Well, I did worry and I did fuss and I did stress on it. I drank a lot of water, I got on the treadmill as much as I could (I have some medical issues so I have to do what I can when I can.), and actually added in another serving of the bread a day, and just two days ago, things started moving downward again and I lost my loathing for Mr. Scale. 3 weeks I was stuck. But, I do have to say that while Mr. Scale was becoming my nemesis, my clothing was getting looser and things seemed to be changing. I'm no expert, but I think that my body was taking a break and rearranging itself a bit in preparation to carry on with this project of Me. Hang in there! Don't give up on YOU!
  • It was my first weight in this morning after 1 week on SD diet - Phase 1 and I have to admit I was scared. It was a rough week and my first thought was to stop everything if I didn't lose more than one or two pounds. Thank God I lost more than that but I was afraid of my first reaction.

Reading this post makes me realize it will probably also happen to me in a few days (not losing any weights) but I am no longer afraid cause I know I will be able to find support here. This group is very supportive, motivating and generous!! I will certainly read these posts if I feel weak or tempted to quit one day.

But for now, I am motivated and ready to attack week #2

Scorpgrl: Hang in there and don't give up