Bah - I suck, but I also don't

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So in mid-May, I was down to my lowest weight in about two years after 10 months on SBD.

Then I began stress eating again!

At first, I did it with OP foods. Then, a few processed, semi-OP foods. Then my MIL came for a visit and I ate (I NEVER LIKE SWEETS) and while we were away for the last 5 days on a road trip to DWs alma matter as well as my own, I ate like utter crap and drank beer like I was in college again. With my foot out of commission, I haven't been moving like I should either.

Today I thought, "I feel like crap!" and decided to go back OP. Until a certain DW stopped at a fast food place and I shared some off plan food with her (despite stopping at the store to get OP snacks). After THAT indiscretion, I got sick again, TOM came at the next rest stop, we got home and of course, no food.

I just don't get why I do it to myself. It's really not worth it in the end. Where the heck did my willpower go?

Instead of eating crap for dinner (so easy to order something!), I had some oatmeal with walnuts and have to find time tomorrow night to go food shopping for a really clean week of Phase 1.

I know I've given advice to many before and even rolled my eyes at these "I went off plan" posts but I just need to hold myself accountable, make time for me, and stop complaining. I *KNOW* what I need to do. With my 1 year anniversary of being on the SBD just around the corner, and remembering why I startedhow I felt a year ago, I just need to get back at it.

Thanks for letting me write this out and for always being here!
    Jenn
  • I hope you enjoyed your vacation, Jenne, including the beer! Now you're back. That's the best part.

The important thing to do is to keep going and not let this derail you (you know that, of course). So many of us are what I call imperfect perfectionists. If we don't do it perfectly, then we've failed. I think -- think -- at my advanced age I've finally come to realize that the mistake/bad behavior/slipping back into the past/whatever it is isn't the problem. The problem is letting that be the excuse to stop.
  • Hey Jenn

I'm not going to go into the laundry list but I've been spiraling down with my food the last few weeks too. First it was just a thing here or there and now I'm full on into making excuses for all kinds of crap. I know I will feel better if I eat on plan foods, both physically and emotionally, but I'm still running to the foods I define as comfort foods. I've got great excuses and if excuses made things better that would matter, but they don't. Bottom line is I know what I need to eat to feel healthy and so do you. So let's do this thing, you and me, we both know darned well we can. Time for a solid Phase 1 or 1.5, let's do it.
  • Ya know, it's always going to be a struggle. When I first dropped the weight on SBD, I thought I'd never eat bad food again, and my mind was changed forever.

Then real life set in. Stress, kids, parties, special events, funerals, etc. etc. etc. It's not an excuse to eat poorly, but most of us do it (why can't I be someone who doesn't eat with stress?!?).

A friend said the other day on facebook, "I eat to live". She said it very simply when talking about not eating white bread and other processed foods. I wish I could easily have the mind thought!!

And that's why I stay on 3FC....I need to at least keep SBD in my mind, even on the bad days.
  • After my birthday I'm going to do the Fuhrman 7 day thing that Dr. Oz highlighted. It's SBD compatible and will just be a good clean out. My plan is to completely ignore my birthday but I don't think other people will let me. I'm sure it's going to send me into a serious funk for a few days so I will wait until I get past that hump then really focus in on getting my body back in the best shape possible. I know, more excuses, I will do the best I can right now.
  • Hang in there, Jenne. As you can see, we all struggle with our food addiction. The important thing is that we don't give up, and that's why we're here.

(I write this as I sit here with a rubber band holding the waistband of my capris together because I can't button them. )
  • Hang in there, Jenn! I'm so glad to hear from you! On another forum someone said (paraphrased) I can care now or in 20 more pounds. It's much easier to care now. As always, here, you have friends to be with you on every step of your journey.

My day to day has gotten pretty stressful since DH injured himself. As I was assisting him getting down the stairs this morning I was taking a moment to think about everyone here. Without you all I would probably slip back into old habits very fast. In my "real world" there is lots of stuff that leads me to off plan eating. In my "virtual world" here, I check in and keep my goals very close. Checking in every day really seems to help me keep from straying too far.

Best wishes!
  • An imperfect perfectionist - that is totally me to a tee!

Cyndi - I hear you. Will look up Furhman and maybe we can motivate one another?

Thanks to you all for the support. I am back on plan, just felt very guilty last night. Amazing that I can come right back here and feel like I belong.
  • I need to look up the Furhman thing too....
  • You must have read my mind Jenn because you could have been writing a post for me (except the beer part ). I have been feeling crappy and I don't feel comfortable in my body again, when I go running my feet and knees hurt and I know why.

I decided yesterday I was going to eat better and then went out to lunch with co-workers and ate crap and then had more crap for dinner. Which is why I have decided to do a clean Phase 1 starting this morning, luckily I have a cafeteria that has a good salad bar and has eggs and turkey bacon so I can eat on plan at work as well.

Time to start feeling better...
  • Debbie posted above: "On another forum someone said (paraphrased) I can care now or in 20 more pounds." Oh, that is so true. And its cousin is, I can care now or I can care again in 10 years.
  • Hiii.... this came at an awesome time. I just MSG'd Cyndi requesting that she put her boot in my starting June 18. A weekend in Chicago and a Food Day are between now and then, so I'm trying my hardest to stay Ph2 like I had been (except for the times I hide in the pantry inhaling Doritos, hoping no one will catch me.....)

Which led me to believe I will need a Ph1 in the upcoming future as well. I'm not rolling my eyes. Well, I am at myself. But not you.
  • Quote: (except for the times I hide in the pantry inhaling Doritos, hoping no one will catch me.....)
    I can't figure out how the scale always knows I've been in there.
  • jenne
    you haven't slipped up you are just human, we all do it now and again. i haven't been on plan for the last week we have had a big 4 day celebration for the queens diamond jubilee and i have not been in my own house so have not had control over food. but i accept this and saturday will go back on phase 1. just hang in there and don't beat yourself up about this
  • Jen - Maybe if you think of this as a lifestyle, and not just a diet, it will be easier to tell yourself that you were on vacation, and now it's time to get back to real life! I think that's the beauty part of having a Phase 1 to return to when needed. If we don't think of P1 as a punishment, but more like Post-Vacation laundry, I think it might become more of a regular thing to do. (Sorry - I'm thinking out loud, trying to figure out how to make this SBD a long term lifestyle change).
    Cate